Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2001 6:53:51 AM EDT
I was in my local gun shop yesterday, when I saw what looked like a HK-MP5. Upon closer inspection is said made in USA by some company I have never heard of. The shop owner wanted $350. It looked cool, and I probably will never be able to afford a real MP5 so what do you guys think? Any info about who made it? POS? Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 7:05:37 AM EDT
[#1]
The MP5 clone you are talking about is probably made by Special Weapons (SW-5).  From the rumors around other boards, the company had a poor reputation for poor quality control and customer service.  The firearm normally retails for $1,200+.  Personally I collect only true HK firearms.  If you see it for $350, take it, but make sure it operates safely and works.  Use is as a match gun, ranch gun, or whatever makes you fancy.  I've never used on in person (why should I since I got the real thing).
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 7:17:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Guns that look like a MP5 are:

1. MP5 (Duh)
2. SW-5 (As stated Above, with 16 inch barrel)
3. HK 94 (16 inch barrel)

If you really wanted a MP5 look alike, buy a SW-5 or HK 94(Much Preferred), and make it a legal SBR.

I'd love to have a 94, but am unwilling to buy one due to cost.  They are nice 9mm rifles.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 10:32:58 AM EDT
[#3]
then theres a H&K sp89 mp5k clone without foward assit
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 10:51:23 AM EDT
[#4]
BT 96 by Brugger & Thomet from Switzerland.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 11:48:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Wow, I though this would get a lot more replies.  Anyway, from what I have heard, STAY AWAY from the Special Weapons products.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#6]
i have two sw5's one modeled after the mp5a2 but with a fake suppressor so the bbl will be 16 inches and the pdw version. although there has been alot of bad talk about them the pdw has been flawless since i got it and the a2 has run flawless after replacing the extractor (i had some fte ).
that being said the company owner(SPECIAL WEAPONS) is a class 1 a**hole and customer service is horrible!
i think $350.00 is a great deal even if it costs a little xtra to fix it if needed.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 1:50:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Even if it is a SW, for 350$ you couldnt get a deactivated one, buy it!
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 2:05:13 PM EDT
[#8]
$350?  Are you sure it's not some kind of airsoft toy or something?  SW-5s are selling anywhere between $1000-$1800.  

All the bad talk about SW-5s is just that, talk.  There were some early problems and the guy who runs the company is a total dickhead, but they shoot okay.  Most of the people doing the talking aren't doing any of the "owning."  
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 3:21:07 PM EDT
[#9]
STEYR!!!!!!!! - Wow he must be sleeping.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top