Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/4/2001 11:25:00 AM EDT
I know I know "not another what the best gun post"

But I really need some help here.

Right I have an AR and it's one hell of a good gun but is a rifle really the best over all gun?

I have been thinking about making a trade for a shot gun.

Here is what I see as the pros and cons:

PROS
Shot gun:(pump or auto)                        AR:(semi auto)
more power,                      long rang,
more led per shot,               much more ammo,
more easy to use,                smaller,
will NEVER brake                 faster to load

CONS
Shot gun:                       AR:
bigger,                         more complex,
loads slower,                   get hot as hell,
sloppy,                         not as good
                               in close,

Some input guys[:\]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 11:28:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn I can't get this thing to set up in two cloumns, so under pros & cons shot gun left and AR to the right seperated by commas.

Sorry
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 11:45:14 AM EDT
[#3]
What I want to know is what would be the best overall not the best for every one type of task.

Not be so silly but if it was WW2 and you could only have one gun what would it be[:D]

Really,I just want to know what every one thinks is the best multi-purpose weapon?
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 11:51:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#5]
If I could have only one gun it would be a .357 magnum revolver for self-defense, to practice with and have some fun at the range. If it had to be a long-gun it would be the AR15 over the shotgun -- at least I could take it to the range, the shotgun would get real old fast. For self defense only, and it had to be a long-gun, it would be the shotgun. Not much practice needed and not much fun at the range.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 12:48:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Does any one the range of a 12ga(slug&00)

And I don't think you can fire shot down a rifled barrel can you.
If I just use the slugs how am I any better off than with the AR it's just a rifle now if I can't use shot to.

But can the .223's frag power mach the big ass knock down of a .70cal slug.

Link Posted: 9/4/2001 1:04:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 1:05:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Its ok to shoot shot through a rifled barrel. The shot is contained in the wadding until after it leaves the muzzle. However, you will significantly open up your groups if you do so. All of those pellets spinning around can't wait to just fly off in different directions.

Michael
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 1:11:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
get a straight bore barrel and use it for slugs or shot if you want to use both.
View Quote

Agree with Beer Slayer - go with the 12 guage smoothbore pump. And if you get, say 28" barrels you can to out to the range and have some REAL fun...shooting at fast moving targets.
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 2:27:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/4/2001 3:52:48 PM EDT
[#12]
a2car,

It IS the age old question.  I think SGB nailed it.  What do you need it to do?

Without the answer to that question, who knows?

If it is for home defense I would go 12 gauge all the way.  If it is for true combat, AR all the way.  

Best news is, unless you are in the military, you  can have BOTH.  

One thing I wouldn't do is get rid of the AR.  If you have one that feeds and shoots well, you won't get as much for it as you'll have to p ay to replace it.  Just another opinion.

James

PS - if you get the shotty, I like the Remingtons.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top