Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/26/2001 4:22:57 PM EDT
I have a small home network (6 computers) feeding off of a 2wire
Homeportal residential gateway, they all share the cable modem line with no
problems.  I want to integrate an old IBM box into this to just run as
a SETI@HOME machine (It is a 133mhz clunnker).

There are no USB ports on the aptiva and I am not inclined on adding
one, but it does have an ehternet card and two serial ports and a
parallel port.

Would I just stick another ethernet card into the server machine and
connect the two that way?  If so, what would I need to do?  Is there
another option?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 5:19:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 5:25:04 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a cable modem as well. You can use a Linksys 4 port router like me, or go to [url]http://www.coyotelinux.com/[/url] and try the software they have and connect it to a hub. I have used the coyote software and it works. It actually works as a firewall.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Home PNA, but the two computers (the server and the old machine) are sitting on the same desk.  The old computer has an ethernet card in it.  Any help?
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 7:32:36 PM EDT
[#4]
2 nics in one machine shouldn't be a problem, I've done it in a win98se computer. You would have to use a "crossover" ethernet cable and not a regular one for teh direct connection though. I'm not sure exactly how to set up the software for the setup you'd end up with though, although it should work
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 8:07:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 8:52:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top