Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2001 11:51:56 AM EDT
So my friend calls up... "hey lets go see Rush Hour 2"

Me: "I guess...."

"meet me there in 20 minutes."

I show up at the place 20 minutes later. No friend.

10... 20 minutes later he dives out of his... umm... friend/ex girlfriend/mother of one of his kids.. or something's car and buys tickets.

I say "I'm leavin dude"

Him: "Oh come on!!! Oh come on!!! Oh come on!!!"

He loves to do this.. we call it.. "Aaron time" because 20 minutes means 40 minutes. Movie starts at 9:55PM, it was 10:15PM.

He likes to yell "front and center!" when we pick out a seat. Ya know.. cause they say that in the army!! WOW!!! Yeah they say "front and center!!!" in the army!! So it's really funny to say "front and center" and sit in the fucking front of the screen, center.

I do not want to pay $9 to miss 15 minutes of a movie and sit at the fucking front of the theater looking straight up and fucking up my neck. He says he has $5 and will pay for part of it.. I say no. I have plenty of money, that is not the point. I fucking hate missing part of the movie. Oh this has happened MANY times before with him. He says "oh they show 6 hours of previews before the movie starts, so lets show up 10 minutes later!!" So we end up getting shitty seats and yes... miss 10 minutes of the movie.

Aaron... cannot take no for an answer. Ya see he treats his bitches like robots and of course because he's an asshole they are totally in love with him and do everything he says. Anyways.. it pisses him off he can't treat ME like a bitch as well.

His... ex/mother/friend now/something was beggin for me to stay and so was he and then his vagina bleeds and the famous "ok fine" comes out.

He turns and says "ok fine, cool. Have a good one buddy."

Am I... wrong?

Shouldn't *I* be the one pissed off here?

I told them to enjoy their movie, and that I wasn't going to see it. I stood around for 20 minutes so I could tell him I wasn't going to watch part of a movie. I shoulda just left.

I fucking took a shower, got dressed, drove to the movies so I can stand around.

I don't care... I'm goin to the movies alone from now on.

Oooh I just can't wait for his pissy phone message tomorrow. Or I might be blessed with him and his ex/friend/mother/something showing up and the awkward silence... the usual "so.... what's up?" "Nothin" "cool" "Just hangin out" "cool"..... "so what's up?"

ugh...
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 12:00:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 1:01:07 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm gettin sick of my friends shit like I got sick of women and their shit.

Misanthrope.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 1:20:58 PM EDT
[#3]
My best friend and his entire family are flakes.  Late for everything.  One time he wanted to meet for coffee.  I sit and wait for him for an hour (hadn't seen him for a year or so, otherwise wouldn't have waited so long).

I wait wait wait then call his house. He picks up the phone.  

ME:  Jesus, you haven't even left yet?
HIM: Oh!  We were going to meet for coffee, that's right.  I wanted to stop by Tim's first (his employer) and talk about work.
ME:  You asshole!  Tim lives 2 blocks from the cafe!  You could have dropped by on the way, or had Tim meet us there!  At the very least, you could have met me AFTER meeting with Tim, instead of going straight home and making me wait around for you for an HOUR!
HIM: Sorry, man.

[pissed]
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Well at least your friend offered to pay for part of your ticket. I had a "friend" who would not only show up late all of the time, but would tell me he that he didn't have enough/any money when it was time to pay. That way I always would end up shelling out money for the bastard. In all of the years I knew him, I think he only paid for me ONCE.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 1:58:04 PM EDT
[#5]
I have some friends like that. Most of them are sooo predictable. You learn to work around their flakiness. Like the late ones, I just tell them to show up at one time and plan on them arriving at another.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 2:22:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm gettin sick of my friends shit like I got sick of women and their shit.

Misanthrope.
View Quote

just dont become a lonley friendless gay man.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 2:27:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So my friend calls up... "hey lets go see Rush Hour 2"

Me: "I guess...."

"meet me there in 20 minutes."

I show up at the place 20 minutes later. No friend.

10... 20 minutes later he dives out of his... umm... friend/ex girlfriend/mother of one of his kids.. or something's car and buys tickets.

I say "I'm leavin dude"

Him: "Oh come on!!! Oh come on!!! Oh come on!!!"

He loves to do this.. we call it.. "Aaron time" because 20 minutes means 40 minutes. Movie starts at 9:55PM, it was 10:15PM.

He likes to yell "front and center!" when we pick out a seat. Ya know.. cause they say that in the army!! WOW!!! Yeah they say "front and center!!!" in the army!! So it's really funny to say "front and center" and sit in the fucking front of the screen, center.

I do not want to pay $9 to miss 15 minutes of a movie and sit at the fucking front of the theater looking straight up and fucking up my neck. He says he has $5 and will pay for part of it.. I say no. I have plenty of money, that is not the point. I fucking hate missing part of the movie. Oh this has happened MANY times before with him. He says "oh they show 6 hours of previews before the movie starts, so lets show up 10 minutes later!!" So we end up getting shitty seats and yes... miss 10 minutes of the movie.

Aaron... cannot take no for an answer. Ya see he treats his bitches like robots and of course because he's an asshole they are totally in love with him and do everything he says. Anyways.. it pisses him off he can't treat ME like a bitch as well.

His... ex/mother/friend now/something was beggin for me to stay and so was he and then his vagina bleeds and the famous "ok fine" comes out.

He turns and says "ok fine, cool. Have a good one buddy."

Am I... wrong?

Shouldn't *I* be the one pissed off here?

I told them to enjoy their movie, and that I wasn't going to see it. I stood around for 20 minutes so I could tell him I wasn't going to watch part of a movie. I shoulda just left.

I fucking took a shower, got dressed, drove to the movies so I can stand around.

I don't care... I'm goin to the movies alone from now on.

Oooh I just can't wait for his pissy phone message tomorrow. Or I might be blessed with him and his ex/friend/mother/something showing up and the awkward silence... the usual "so.... what's up?" "Nothin" "cool" "Just hangin out" "cool"..... "so what's up?"

ugh...
View Quote

It is a control issue.  I had friends that try that shit.  I wait 5 minutes and move on.  They will get the hint after a while.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Voice of experience here, it doesn't get any better.  I'll be 73 this week, and I haven't found that many friends that you could depend on to be on time.  It sounds like you're pretty young (assuming that because of your choise of movie), so I'll let you know now that it just gets worse.  When the guys have a wife and/or kids to blame their delay on, it just gets worse.  Now, most of my friends don't have busy schedules (in other words, retired), but they still manage to be late!

Link Posted: 8/26/2001 2:51:12 PM EDT
[#9]
I Most Be bless  with good friends most are on-time and  have money!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 3:02:09 PM EDT
[#10]
zoom is right. People like that never change. Learn how to manipulate them! [}:D]
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 4:02:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Friendships are always a matter of weighing the costs and benefits of a continuing relationship!

I have a lot of friends like the one Frank just described. I don't go see movies with them, for I [u]know[/u] that they cannot be counted on to arrive on time! Ever.  That is the cost of being their friend.

The same guys are, however, ones I can trust in the long run, to do something they say they're going to do, so long as there is no time limit involved.  That is the benefit of being their friend.

I think it the height of bad manners to [u]always[/u] be late for appointments.

When people do me that way the first time, I can assure you that there's never a second time.
I simply will never agree to a specific time with them. 'I'll see you when I see you.'

Eric The(TimeBandit)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#12]
I had a friend like that, plus he was always mooching and never chipping in for anything. Told him he was like stepping in dog crap, wiping your shoes off and still you smell it all day. Pissed him off but he saw the error of his ways. Some people have been A-holes for so long that it is the only life they know.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's a good one:

They do not care.
 They don't care if you do it to them, either.
Treat them as such.

Maybe next time they are late, you can excuse yourself to "go to the bathroom" or "get popcorn" (take their money, too), then just kinda "forget to come back" or "forget to tell them you were leaving"...

I like that one so much, I'm gonna do it at the next opportunity!

Link Posted: 8/26/2001 4:21:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I am not so much pissed about him being late, I have come to expect this. But what pisses me off is how he thinks it's funny. He laughs at the "front and center" bullshit even though I have told him many times I do not want to sit in front of the screen. He... still thinks it's funny. I have told him I do not like missing part of the movie.. he still thinks it's funny. He came running up with a smile and laughing.

What pisses me off the most is his pissy attitude when I told him I was not going to buy a ticket. I fucking told him. Yet he cannot respect my reasons. He gets pissed at ME!

Yeah... I am such an asshole for showing up to the movie on time. I am such an asshole for not wanting to sit in front of a movie screen fucking up my neck. I am such an asshole for not wanting to miss the fucking plot builder intro of a movie.

He's such a fucking temperamental, egotistical asshole. Which is why he will make a great police officer. (he is currently enrolled in the local academy)
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 8:42:37 PM EDT
[#16]
I am a perpetually punctual guy.  I've found that me and my ilk constitute about 10% of the population.  My wife is one of the 90%.  Ugh. I find that I am increasingly late to functions waiting for my wife to get ready.

Friends like Aaron are a dime a dozen, I've had a few myself.  Now I just make plans and follow through on them independently.  If we are supposed to meet at a movie, if it is time I get my ticket and go in.  If we are supposed to meet for food I give five to ten minutes and eat.

Not meant as a flame, but you seem kinda like a bitter guy, complaining (justifiably so) quite a bit.  I used to be one of those guys.  I found that when I learned to REALLY not give a fuck and just enjoy my life on my terms (ha, before I got married) I became a lot happier, made better friends, and went on a lot of dates (after a two year dry spell).  No one wants to hang out with a negative ninny.  Hang out with sfoo and DVD and just start to enjoy life, there is joy in everything if you look for it, and your life will take a big turn for the better.

Really hope this helps, sorry if I am way off base, and I hope to meet you at one of the Bay Area/Sacto functions.

Ratters
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Was Aaron a fat kid with no friends, and also played a lot of D&D? Does he still carry his 8-sided dice and insist on being called Cthulu, the Celtic avatar?
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 10:34:42 PM EDT
[#18]
teach him a lesson

call him up next weekend, say "wanna go the movies .... yes? ....ok meet me there"

AND DONT SHOW UP!!!
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 11:00:16 PM EDT
[#19]
There's no need to play games, just tell your friend you'll meet him in the theatre, a third of the way back, on the right, or wherever you like to sit. If he shows up late and tries to explain, tell him to shut the fuck up, you're trying to watch the movie.
Link Posted: 8/26/2001 11:25:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

He's such a fucking temperamental, egotistical asshole. Which is why he will make a great police officer. (he is currently enrolled in the local academy)
View Quote

Hey wait a minute! Now that you mention this bit of information, you should give the guy a break. He will have to risk his life every day at his job protecting thankless civilians and it will be an accomplishment for him just to be able to go home safely to his family every night.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top