Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2001 8:58:37 PM EDT
Here's a passage from "Fight Club" the novel by Chuck Palahniuk

"With my tongue I can feel the silencer holes we drilled into the barrel of the gun.... To make a silencer, you just drill holes in the barrel of the gun, a lot of holes.  This lets the gas escape and slows the bullet to below the speed of sound."

That's on page one too.  I bet those ported Glock and Taurus are really quiet now!  Not to mention my 300WinMag rifle with that Swiss Cheese looking thing at the end of its barrel.

Oh and it gets better.  A later part of the novel the main character threaten to go on a rampage with his Armalite AR10 (he got this part right) with bullets with tips filed off so they will expand and make nasties.  Yo buddy, save yourself the trouble and buy a box of soft or hollow point.  Better yet, go to a bank, take out a loan, and buy a clue.

And you think only Hollywood type get confused.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 9:05:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Must have been a Ruger.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 9:10:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Yo buddy, save yourself the trouble and buy a box of soft or hollow point.  Better yet, go to a bank, take out a loan, and buy a clue.

View Quote

Pick up some subsonic
ammo while you are at it.

PS
You broke the first rule.
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 9:32:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Cut the guy some slack.  Writers sometimes post on AK-47.net looking for information for their stories.  They know jack about guns and want to know the most devastating cartridge known to man.  We refer them to Campybob [;)]
Link Posted: 8/22/2001 9:43:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Please tell me that you
didn't leak
any information concerning the
sub MOA Shotgun.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 3:43:08 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 5:22:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I read a Nero Wolfe mystery once where the perp had a .38 revolver which left ejected casings at the crime scene. It pissed me off so much, I couldn't read the rest of the book.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 6:51:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Brother!  That's right up there with the movie that showed the whole, complete bullet with brass case flying through the air.....
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 8:01:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Thomas Harris, Dean Koontz, and (to a lesser extent) Stephen King are among the few mainstream authors I've read who pretty consistently get the firearms details right.  Some of the genre series writers, like Don Pendleton, get gun stuff right, but they are writing to a target audience that has an interest in such things and they know it.  Harris, Koontz, and King apparently have some personal interest in such material or simply like to get details right.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 8:05:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Stephen Hunter does a good job, too.  I had a bit of a problem with [u]Point of Impact[/u] in the technical details of the assassin's rifle, but it was integral to the story, so I let it slide.  Other than that, he's right on top of it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 2:23:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Please tell me that you
didn't leak
sub MOA Shotgun.
View Quote

I almost spill the bean on the Mini14 sniper rifle.
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 2:37:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Please tell me that you
didn't leak
sub MOA Shotgun.
View Quote

ROTFLMAO!!

That one was a classic...
Link Posted: 8/23/2001 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#12]

I almost spill the bean on the Mini14 sniper rifle.[/quote]

I just got one of those a couple of months ago. Great out to about 1850 yards. Or was that 18.50 yards?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top