Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2006 8:05:16 AM EDT
I was recounting my ammo, magazine supply yesterday and was curious what is a good stash?  My plan was one AR for each member of my family, 1 handgun per member.  10,000 rounds per rifle and about 1000 per handgun. All M193, Q3131, M855, some TAP and some M262.I also 3 .22 with about 20,000 round for them.  one shotgun and about 1000 rounds for it.  I also have 50 mags per AR and 100 in reserve.  Now I'm hit with the practicality problem you can only carry so much, I have it all stored which is fine for a natural disaster when you don't know how much time before everything returns to normal.  But what about a instant SHTF?  What about a real long duration situation caused by other factors?  I do have food for 30 days per family member and water and water filters, shelter and other necessity's.  At this point what should I reevaluate?
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:08:01 AM EDT
[#1]
reevaluate posting such information on the world wide web .......

and have a good excuse for the feds when they come visit you
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:08:30 AM EDT
[#2]

Ammo...pile it high and pile it deep.

Food...as much as you can rotate through with out having to throw half of it away because it went bad.

Security...never post how much of anything you have on the internet or by telling your friends.

"loose lips sink ships"
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:11:23 AM EDT
[#3]
I know what you are saying. I am shooting the ammo instead of hoarding it right now. Due to weapons and ammo hoards, I would have a tough time leaving my home.

And do you have any armor? I still need to get some.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:14:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends on how deep your paranoia runs.

All the mags and ammo don't mean shit if you don't have the training and mindset to back it up.

Also, if you get in a shootout that requires more than two or three mags, you might need to add some body bags to your preps. You will lose.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#5]
i hope you have a small family.  otherwise you are going to need a big closet.  (or a few big closets)
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:27:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Depends on how deep your paranoia runs.

All the mags and ammo don't mean shit if you don't have the training and mindset to back it up.

Also, if you get in a shootout that requires more than two or three mags, you might need to add some body bags to your preps. You will lose.

Very good advice.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:28:07 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

AMEN..........I fully agree!!

Even my wife, who is a terrific shot and is well trained, continues to say "I'm not sure I could shoot someone."

My response to her is "Then you will die."

That doesn't make her happy..............but it's the truth.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:31:47 AM EDT
[#8]
having that stash won't do you a bit of good if you need to bug out.  it would suck to have to abandon 90% of that stuff because it would take a week and 2 trucks to move it
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:47:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I think you have enough.

10-mags and 1000 rounds is probably enough per weapon for shtf. Unless you plan to barter ammo and mags in the future.  However you are not going loss any money by having more the prices of ammo are only going tot go up.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:48:02 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
having that stash won't do you a bit of good if you need to bug out.  it would suck to have to abandon 90% of that stuff because it would take a week and 2 trucks to move it

But...........if you don't have to bug out........they'll eat like KINGS!!!!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 8:55:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Lately I have been hoarding ammo more for future price increases or worries that M193 may stop being produced or released to the general public.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#12]
I see your point about posting that maybe I can figure out how to remove it and still get the point accross.  I wasnt planning on any shootout at all, far from it.  If I had to leave it I would just set fire to it.  My loss no one elses gain. I'm also not paranoid in the least I want to grow old and watch my kids grow up.  I just remember stories my dad told me about the depression when desperate would come and try to steal their food, or just plain rob them even though they didnt have anything either it was more than the starving homeless had.  Now we fast forward to 2006 and I think the criminal of today would make the criminal of yesterday look like a saint.  Also what kind of husband/father would I be if I didnt properly take care of my family?  Hell I have a daughter and 2 sons.  I sure dont plan on having them fend for themselves with just a stick.  I live in a rural area so my closest neighbor is a mile away.  Police response is measured in less than a hour excellent more than a hour standard.  911 is not a answer unless its for fire.  My parents taught me to be self reliant and depend on yourself not others/goverment in times of crises.  Yes I have thought of the ammo as kind of the gold of the new milinium.  You can use it for getting food, trading/selling and protection.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:22:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Stock up on replacement barrels if you're gonna keep that much ammo.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:23:14 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I see your point about posting that maybe I can figure out how to remove it and still get the point accross...

Don't sweat it... if I got worried after every cautionary post from the tin-foil crowd I'd never post here at all.  But I've posted details and even pics of obscene stashes here for years and, so far, no late-night visits from the MIBs, no black helicopters circling above the farm, no "utility vans" parked acroos the road for extended periods, etc.

Now, as to your original post:  From the do as I say & not as I do file, once you have sufficient firearms and mags (you probably do, based upon you post) I would suggest focusing your disposable cash & time on ammo, practice, and quality training (all equally important IMHO as any one without the other two isn't worth much).  I've always shot a lot and had plenty of firearms, but I didn't start really stocking up on ammo until I became active here and didn't seek out professional training until even more recently.  I can't stop buying guns, but that's my affliction to deal with... avoid the adddiction if you can.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:27:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I see your point about posting that maybe I can figure out how to remove it and still get the point accross...

Don't sweat it... if I got worried after every cautionary post from the tin-foil crowd I'd never post here at all.  But I've posted details and even pics of obscene stashes here for years and, so far, no late-night visits from the MIBs, no black helicopters circling above the farm, no "utility vans" parked acroos the road for extended periods, etc.

Now, as to your original post:  From the do as I say & not as I do file, once you have sufficient firearms and mags (you probably do, based upon you post) I would suggest focusing your disposable cash & time on ammo, practice, and quality training (all equally important IMHO as any one without the other two isn't worth much).  I've always shot a lot and had plenty of firearms, but I didn't start really stocking up on ammo until I became active here and didn't seek out professional training until even more recently.  I can't stop buying guns, but that's my affliction to deal with... avoid the adddiction if you can.

If it took a tip from an angry ex-wife to get the alphabet guys on to Shoot & scoot, I wouldn't worry too much about your legal stash.

As for me, I used to think that 1k/caliber was plenty. Then it became 1k/rifle and it's only gotten bigger. And I still don't feel like I have half of what I need...

Edit:

I can't stop buying guns, but that's my affliction to deal with... avoid the adddiction if you can

Great strategy - more for you!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:28:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

+1 All the weapons in the world won't do you any good if you have no training with them! And YES you mindset must be right also!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:28:32 AM EDT
[#17]
Sounds like you may need to beef up your foundation to help stop all of the cracking thats soon to begin.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#18]
Its in a secure place with a helluva foundation.  I do shoot allot if I might add.  I dont shoot my good stuff thoug, I buy Winchester USA 223 or whatever else is cheap and reliable when I see it.  I just refuse to open the cases and use good stuff for training.  I plan on taking courses this summer also.  I too have a additction to guns but lately its all been towards commonality so as to not have to many oddballs that would force me to stock up on other calibers, this allows me to concentrate.  I have bought spare barrels, a coupla complete lower reciever parts kits, spare bolts, carriers, extractors etc.  That was more just for the fact that if something breaks the closest anything is about 6-7 days normal 3 rush.  Like I said my parents taught me to be self reliant.  
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:04:04 AM EDT
[#19]
think you used enough dyanamite there Butch?

You may have OCD lol.

Having said that, I wouldn't feel the least bit wrong in having that much ammo.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:04:12 AM EDT
[#20]
A warehouse full would be nice...
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:09:57 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
think you used enough dyanamite there Butch?

You may have OCD lol.

Having said that, I wouldn't feel the least bit wrong in having that much ammo.

I'm not at all more is always merrier.  No I always tell my family that if we have to leave and wont be back than there is no sense leaving anything useable for someone else.  No just toss a coupla flares in the room with some burnables.  If I'm never going to be back why let  some criminals get it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top