Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/10/2006 6:12:33 PM EDT
I kind of like the way they look, they are sort of like a M1 Carbine.  Their lineage is right - that of the mighty Garand and M1A.

So why don't people like them?  I could understand back when hi-cap magazines were banned and decent ones were hard to come by.  Nowadays, there surely must be decent magazines available for a good price.  So what's the deal - why don't people like them?

I thought about picking one up - I like wood stocks and I think it would make a decent and PC looking gun with some bite to it if need be.  The sights on it seem good too.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:14:35 PM EDT
[#1]
They suck

their inaccurate and fall apart.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one

accuracy is weak

also any mags for it other than Ruger are crap
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I think mostly because its an instant comparision to an AR-15, and that just ain't gonna favor the Mini-14 at all.

I don't think they are all that bad, I'd have one for general blasting as a cheaper alternative (not by much, Im sure) to an AR-15.  But, getting good mags is still the hang up!  

I've never seen good mags, unless someone finds a way to make it accept AR mags, there probably won't be...  (Aside from old Factory mags)
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:16:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#5]
They are always compared to the AR, and that's apples and oranges. You can buy good mags from 10-15 bucks a piece now. That wasn't so a few years ago. They're fun guns and the action is great.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:18:33 PM EDT
[#6]
they're great for shooting "patterns". that's the best any of the 3 mini's i've owned would do even when scoped.but,i can say i've never had one break any parts.other than the accuracy problem they're fine rifles to me.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:18:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:19:24 PM EDT
[#8]
$5 barrels, and thus shoot minute of basketball.

Bill3508
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:20:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:20:19 PM EDT
[#10]
PMI brand magazines worked well in them too.

My main issue was how much the zero started to wander as the barrel heated up.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#11]
What do you mean by crappy accuracy?  Will they hold 4 MOA?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Bill Ruger and his "you don't need more than ten rounds" animosity?

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:24:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Don't you watch A-Team?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:26:06 PM EDT
[#14]
The mini is like the bastard child of the M1Garand/M1carbine/M1A.  I would rather have those 3 than a mini.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:27:35 PM EDT
[#15]
You can have a harmonic balance done to the barrel. It costs a few hundred bucks. Under 1 and a half inch groups at 100 yards.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#16]
How much can a decent M1 Carbine be had for then?  I don't need collector value, all GI parts, or anything like that.

How does the .30 Carbine cartridge compare?  About like a .30-30?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:31:11 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
What do you mean by crappy accuracy?  Will they hold 4 MOA?

Yeah, if you're at 50 feet or less.  Personal experience.  I have had a Ranch Rifle with scope for over 5 years.  Fired less than 200 rds. through it.  Have yet to hit an 8 1/2" X 11" target paper at 100 yds.  Well, maybe I got a few hits on the target by accident.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:32:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Used to have one but got rid of it when I got an AR. Accuracy is fair out to 100 yds. After that, forget about it. The AR is a helluva platform for customizing. Lots of options and accessories.
Plus the Mini 14 looks like a pansy gun while the AR oozes testosterone.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:33:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
How much can a decent M1 Carbine be had for then?  I don't need collector value, all GI parts, or anything like that.

How does the .30 Carbine cartridge compare?  About like a .30-30?

The auto ordnance carbines had kind of a rough start, but appear to be decent little shooters. They go for ~500 bucks.

The .30 carbine round doesn't begin to approach 30-30. It's a pretty anemic round as far as rifles go, somewhere around .357 mag in energy.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#20]
While not saying you can't find a good deal.... M1 Carbines are going for $500-$1000 the last time I saw. They are getting more and more expensive as the  days roll by. They ain't cheap. I actually like the mini 14. It's a good hikeing rifle. WarDawg
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#21]
Stock ones are about as accurate as an AK with less power and worse reliability.  Tuned ones cost as much as an off the rack AR, are about as accurate, and are generally less reliable.

IIRC, they LOOK like the m1 and M14, but use a different (less reliable) system.

Why not get an M1 from the CMP?  Or if you want to save $, an SKS.  Either will give greater reliability, more power and probably the same or better accuracy.

SRM
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:37:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:38:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I've owned one that I bought new (stainless ranch model).  Accuracy with a quality scope and decent ammo was AK'ish.  Good (above 10 rd.) mags were hard to come by and expensive.  That should have changed with the ban ending?

If good mags were readily available at a decent price and accuracy was better out of the box, I might own one again as a truck gun.  I've shot a few rebarreled Mini-14's that had acceptable accuracy.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:39:00 PM EDT
[#24]
I've got a friend that has two of 'em and loves both.

HH
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:39:01 PM EDT
[#25]
I've shot 3 different Mini-14s. All three had magazine problems with multiple FTEs/FTFs, and accuracy problems aswell.

Magazines are shit, anyone that tells you otherwise is lying. Even Ruger factory mags (which seem to be most expensive than gold in the same weight...) have problems occasionally.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:42:40 PM EDT
[#26]
Because they are a horrible dissapointment.  As you said, they look good.  They are made by a quality manufacturer.  However, they are innacurate.   I like guns that are more accurate than I am.

Go ahead and get a mini.  Go out and shoot it and think "damn, I suck today, better lay off the coffee, wait, maybe it's the ammo.  Then you put some match ammo in it, buy the scope rings and scope,  shoot it off of a bag on a concrete bench.  The crosshairs are dead center.  <BLAM>  4-6 MOA.

Also, I once got the Stainless model wet.  The exterior was OK, but the recoil spring rusted up immediately.

If you already have an AR15, or AK, the mini has no place in your arsenal.  None at all.

Don't take our word for it, go out and get one.  Maybe they somehow improved the product in the last 5 years.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:43:30 PM EDT
[#27]
I sold mine because of accuracy issues.

Personally I feel the SKS is a better gun for 1/3 the money.

I really wanted to believe/love the Mini-14 but it just let me down both with iron sights & scope.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:45:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Had the unfortunate ability to shoot a Mini14 yesterday and it netted me 3-4 inch groups at 50 yards.  That was sandbagged!  Not a good performer, but to its credit, it didn't FTE, FTF or do anything else that would get you killed.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:46:33 PM EDT
[#29]
I bought one when I turned 18, 21 years ago… (It can’t have been that long ago.) I was lucky enough to find six factory 30s at a gun show not long after and bought all of them. I’ve still got the rifle (and magazines) and wouldn’t sell it because it’s part of my history, too much sentimental value.

The Mini-14 has one big advantage over the AR-15; it looks like more like a hunting rifle. That means you aren’t as likely to freak out the peasants when you’re out hiking. But other than that there just isn’t any reason to get a Mini-14, at least not for defensive/SHTF use.

The Mini-14 is a little cheaper than an AR initially. But it’s much cheaper and easier to get parts for the AR. Consider magazines, you can get quality USGI magazines for about $10.00 for the AR. Decent magazines for the Mini will probably run about $30.00. At that rate it doesn’t take too many magazines to make up a couple hundred dollars in cost difference.

The Mini-14 is blued and rusts, unless you get the stainless model or have it parkerized.

The Mini-14 isn’t very accurate while the AR is one of the most accurate service rifles ever made.

The AR is far more reliable than the Mini. The Mini is just fine with factory magazines but they are very hard to come by (at least the 30s.)

The AR is a more durable rifle.

There are a lot of customization options for the Mini-14 but not as many as for the AR. The AR is an “open source” rifle. There are literally dozens of companies innovating and trying to find new ways to improve it. You can modify an AR in a thousand different ways.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:48:13 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Because they are a horrible dissapointment.  As you said, they look good.  They are made by a quality manufacturer.  However, they are innacurate.   I like guns that are more accurate than I am.

Go ahead and get a mini.  Go out and shoot it and think "damn, I suck today, better lay off the coffee, wait, maybe it's the ammo.  Then you put some match ammo in it, buy the scope rings and scope,  shoot it off of a bag on a concrete bench.  The crosshairs are dead center.  <BLAM>  4-6 MOA.

Also, I once got the Stainless model wet.  The exterior was OK, but the recoil spring rusted up immediately.

If you already have an AR15, or AK, the mini has no place in your arsenal.  None at all.

Don't take our word for it, go out and get one.  Maybe they somehow improved the product in the last 5 years.

I already have an AR15 and M1A.  The only commie guns I have are a Mosin and SKS (no AK!!!).  I DO appreciate nice machine work, which is what attracted me to the Mini-14 ranch in the gun shop.  I flat out don't like my SKS because of the combloc crappy craftsmanship.  

Sounds like an M1Carbine or another AR15 may be the way to go.  Or possibly a Garand - which I have been putting off for years because of the "red tape" to get one.  I have to look for a club I can join and shoot the required match or whatever.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:52:28 PM EDT
[#31]
I like mine.

Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Red tape is minimal and there are shoots in Ault and Boulder that qualify if you don't have a dd214 or a CCW permit.

Get the garand.....nothing like fedex pulling up to your door and handing you a rifle.

SRM
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:52:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I bought one durning the ban days that could legally put the folding stock on it. Put the Butler creek stock on it and they report that improves the accuracy.

Once got it sighted in could hit pop cans at 100 yd consistantly. The interesting thing about it was decided to use it to get rid of some old Wolf ammo (green laquar stuff). Ran a few thousand rounds of it through it over a year or so and the weird thing was it never jammed. I never cleaned it through all of it just to see what would happen.

Some of the shooting was hot days some were days of -20. Sold the weapon but really got some respect for it.  
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:53:51 PM EDT
[#34]
Thank you guys -I always thought it was my shotty aim when shootin my mini
I own one and swore I would never sell any gun I bought -But my mini is for sale.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:54:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Get a Garand...the tape isn't that bad and once you get it, you'll want more!

Gus
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:55:31 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I like mine.

i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/krpind/mini14.jpg

What kind of accuracy are you getting at 100 yards? 200 yards?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 6:56:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Okay, seems like I'm in the minority here, I own two mini-14's along with a couple of AR-s and some M1A's etc.  I have never had a problem with my mini's, not even the magazines, I've got some ruger mags and some of the plastic mags from 10 years ago.  I agree that it probably won't print better than a 5" group at 100 yards, but a lot of that is because of the sighting system, that rear aperture is just too large and the front sight is too tapered.

I enjoy them because I bought both for under $400 and haven't had to add anything, change anything, modify anything, but I also have to admit that when I really want to play and have some fun I take out the M1A or the AR-15 and the mini's collect dust.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#38]
The A-Team couldn't hit anyone with 'em, despite having those 500 round magazines.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:01:39 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I like mine.

i20.photobucket.com/albums/b201/krpind/mini14.jpg

What kind of accuracy are you getting at 100 yards? 200 yards?

1.5" at 100.

It is not great......certainly not what I expected, I could have had a lot better gun for the money, but
I liked Mini's before there was an internet and didn't know I was supposed to hate them.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
The A-Team couldn't hit anyone with 'em, despite having those 500 round magazines.

Best one yet!

And I'll contribute to the question about .30 carbine terminal performance:

First 30-30

The following loads were tested by Dr. Gary Roberts using calibrated 10% ballistic gel:

30-30 Federal 125 gr JHP (#3030C}
velocity: 2425 fps
penetration: 15.7"
expansion: 0.54"
recovered weight: 87.8 gr

30-30 Winchester 150 gr JSP Silvertip (#X30302)
velocity: 2211 fps
penetration: 18.9"
expansion: 0.57"
recovered weight: 125.8 gr

30-30 Winchester 170 gr Power Point (#X30303)
velocity: 2036 fps
penetration: 20.5"+
expansion: 0.62"
recovered weight: 158.0 gr

Now 30 Carbine:

.30 Carbine Remington 110 gr JSP (R30CAR)
velocity: 1864 fps
penetration: 16.5"
expansion: 0.54"
recovered weight: 95.9 gr

Reference
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:06:05 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
They suck

their inaccurate and fall apart.

It would be "they are" or "they're", not their.

The inaccuracy part is mostly true.

The "fall apart" crap is just that, utter crap.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:08:59 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Stock ones are about as accurate as an AK with less power and worse reliability.  Tuned ones cost as much as an off the rack AR, are about as accurate, and are generally less reliable.

IIRC, they LOOK like the m1 and M14, but use a different (less reliable) system.

Why not get an M1 from the CMP?  Or if you want to save $, an SKS.  Either will give greater reliability, more power and probably the same or better accuracy.

SRM

Where do people get this "unreliable" crap?  Yes, it is inaccurate.  Unreliable it is not.  With decent mags, it is reliable as anything else out there.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I've shot 3 different Mini-14s. All three had magazine problems with multiple FTEs/FTFs, and accuracy problems aswell.

Magazines are shit, anyone that tells you otherwise is lying. Even Ruger factory mags (which seem to be most expensive than gold in the same weight...) have problems occasionally.

Never, not once, have had a problem with a factory mag.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:13:30 PM EDT
[#44]
The ones I've owned worked most of the time, and all failures were mag related. If they'd shoot in the same direction they're pointed I'd have kept at least one. None of the three I've owned could do better than 6" at 100 yards, and that's off a sand bag and using a decent scope. I've never seen an AR that shoots that bad. Even my old crusty Mosin with crappy iron sights shoots better groups.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:18:04 PM EDT
[#45]
if ruger tightened it up, improved machining and material construction/quality, it would be a heck of a lot better
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#46]
They are inaccurate ,but they are very soild and with factory magazines very reliable
However with some of the cheaper ARs on the market and the rise in the price of minis they are losing their market share IMO

I have been seriouly considering a AC556 myself  a MG with a warrenty can't beat that
and you can get decent magazines again
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:27:20 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

SRM

Where do people get this "unreliable" crap?  Yes, it is inaccurate.  Unreliable it is not.  With decent mags, it is reliable as anything else out there.

Larry:

My opinion is based on the three I owned and the AC556 that was loaned to me when I was in a different country.  Yes, mags can improve the reliability, but I had several FTF with factory mags.

YMMV

SRM
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:28:52 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

So I suppose I would be lying when I say, that I have had 2 Mini's and maybe 50 mags and I've only had 1 malfunction related to one bad mag in maybe 2000+ rounds..... most of it Wolf which is supposed to be shit ammo that wont function in anything.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:32:48 PM EDT
[#49]
I've owned 2 different ones in the past, both blued Ranch models.  They were very dependable with Ruger magazines but I never could get Ramline or Triple-K or USA magazines to feed reliably.  The accuracy was pitiful, 4-5" at 100 yards with a scope (I don't remember what kind of scopes I had on them).  They are relatively inexpensive and cool looking rifles, however.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 7:34:39 PM EDT
[#50]
You need to get an AK.  Go to Jensens and pick up a Vector underfolder,  or an Arsenal Bulgarian.

Or maybe you need a .308  Do you  have an FAL?  

Who was it that said "Only accurate guns are interesting" ?    That quote comes to mind everytime a mini thread pops up.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top