Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/2/2006 3:17:31 PM EDT
Do you get them?  I think I got my first cold sore yesterday.  I don't remember ever having them before.

From what I understand, these are not to be confused with canker sores, which occur on the inside of your mouth, gums, beneath the tongue, etc.  I've had those before, but I can't remember if I've ever had a cold sore.  So how many of you get these damn things?  Poll added.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:18:34 PM EDT
[#1]
no, i do not have herpes
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:22:20 PM EDT
[#2]
herpes for the win
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:23:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
no, i do not have herpes

Just because you don't get cold sores doesn't mean you haven't been infected. Just latent, in the nerves, biding its time. Maybe.

No, I have never had a cold sore but I find it difficult to believe I have never been infected.  I've shared more people's food, drank out of more people's bottles and kiseed more women than I could ever possibly count.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:24:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Snacking on the barracuda, eh?

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#5]
herpes...

sick.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:29:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Never had one. Thank God. I hear they hurt.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:33:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Snacking on the barracuda, eh?

No, not in a while, actually, and we've been monogamous, that I know of.

I can't think of what might have caused this.  Sharing a drink maybe?  I don't know.

Come to think of it, I drank the rest of my friend's beer two nights ago.  Would that be too soon for a cold sore to surface?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:35:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:36:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Katie Holmes is so hot!

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:38:47 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
no, i do not have herpes

Just because you don't get cold sores doesn't mean you haven't been infected. Just latent, in the nerves, biding its time. Maybe.

No, I have never had a cold sore but I find it difficult to believe I have never been infected.  I've shared more people's food, drank out of more people's bottles and kissed more men than I could ever possibly count.

I . . . I never would have guessed.

j/k

On a serious note, drjarhead is right.  90% of adults have antibodies to oral (mouth) Type 2 herpes.  So the vast majority of people have been exposed at some point.  I've never had them.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 3:41:22 PM EDT
[#11]
See sigline.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
no, i do not have herpes

No, I have never had a cold sore but I find it difficult to believe I have never been infected.  I've shared more people's food, drank out of more people's bottles and kissed more men than I could ever possibly count.

You are not a very nice guy!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:01:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
no, i do not have herpes

So what?? He doesn't get a kiss now???
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:04:00 PM EDT
[#14]
It is used to be Type 1 and Type 2 would pick their own environment, one was predominantly oral, the other genital.  I've read in recent years however that heartier versions of the oral virus can be spread oral to genital, and remain with the recipient the rest of their lives.  In the past the oral version was not strong enough to remain for more than one or two outbreaks if passed to genitals.

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
no, i do not have herpes

So what?? He doesn't get a kiss now???

Nope!

Cut....OFF!

Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:16:40 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
It is used to be Type 1 and Type 2 would pick their own environment, one was predominantly oral, the other genital.  I've read in recent years however that heartier versions of the oral virus can be spread oral to genital, and remain with the recipient the rest of their lives.  In the past the oral version was not strong enough to remain for more than one or two outbreaks if passed to genitals.

[Beavis and Butthead] Heh, heh-heh. He said Genitals. [/Beavis and Butthead]
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:19:32 PM EDT
[#17]
nada..

I get canker sores, espically when I am biting my nails and I scratch the gum.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:51:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Herpes is the least of your worries.What you have is the 1st stage of the T-Virus.This time tomorrow you will be one of the walking dead.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:
no, i do not have herpes

No, I have never had a cold sore but I find it difficult to believe I have never been infected.  I've shared more people's food, drank out of more people's bottles and kiseed more women & men than I could ever possibly count.

Fixed it for you LOL
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:54:52 PM EDT
[#20]
I get one every fall/early winter.

they fucking suck.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:01:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I got one like 10 years ago or so. Havn't had one since. At least I think it was, could have been a really nasty popped zit.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:06:40 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I get one every fall/early winter.

they fucking suck.

+1 and also if I get a good sunburn.
Abreva is your friend
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, Only get them when I am Physically run down (tired)
Otherwise never.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:12:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
no, i do not have herpes

No, I have never had a cold sore but I find it difficult to believe I have never been infected.  I've shared more people's food, drank out of more people's bottles and kiseed more women & men than I could ever possibly count.

Fixed it for you LOL

Hahahah

C-4 already beat you to it.

I'm starting to worry about some of you.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:25:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Had them as long as I can remember.  Probably got them from some other kid in Kindergarten.  I get one about every two-six months.  Pisses me off because I can't kiss my wife for two weeks.  I just hope she never gets them.  Probably will eventually.  

I've heard some people say theirs hurt like hell, but mine almost never hurt at all.

The only thing I've ever tried that helps is Valtrex.  It makes them go away a lot faster, but my insurance sucks, so I can't afford it.  Abreva doesn't do jack.
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Looking for love in all the wrong places.  
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:40:53 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Katie Holmes is so hot!

static.sky.com/images/pictures/1294767.jpg

NOOOO!!!

Her ta-ta's and "toe" in The Gift were magnificent. I was in awe.

Even two sufferers aren't safe. You might have a different variant and you could exchange and double your rate of infection. WOOT!
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:44:35 PM EDT
[#28]
I'm actually suffering from them right now.  I seem to be succeptible to them if I get stressed out combined with letting my body get run down.  I.E. not enough sleep for several days and stuff like that.  I'm sure that I probably got them from my parents, as I can remember having them as a kid too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top