Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/31/2006 11:34:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/31/2006 11:35:32 AM EDT by hk940]
at least that is what i think it is.
i have a LG8100 phone with a 1 gig chip so i can use it as a MP3 player.
the problem is i need it to hold more songs than it does.
can i compress the files or do anything to make more of them fit on my chip?

thanks,

hk.

ed. they are a "Windows Media Audio file" if that helps.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 12:06:37 PM EDT
MP3s and wma files are already compressed.
You can't compress them anymore.
You need to buy a bigger card.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:01:30 PM EDT
not what i wanted to hear but
thanks.

does it matter if i ripped a CD to the hard drive and uploaded it directly to the chip?
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:09:26 PM EDT
You can rip audio tracks in different bitrates, with lower bitrates resulting in smaller file sizes. Sound quality will be compromised, but most people can't really tell the difference.

My guesstimate is, since I know that at 256kbps you should get just under 8 hours of audio playback, if you ripped tracks in 128kbps, you'd get near 16 hours of playback out of 1GB.

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:21:16 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Matthew_Q:
You can rip audio tracks in different bitrates, with lower bitrates resulting in smaller file sizes. Sound quality will be compromised, but most people can't really tell the difference.

My guesstimate is, since I know that at 256kbps you should get just under 8 hours of audio playback, if you ripped tracks in 128kbps, you'd get near 16 hours of playback out of 1GB.

Plus, considering the (probably) crappy little bitty speaker IN a cell phone, you wouldn't even know the difference in sound quality. Hell..... I'd bet you could get away with even 96K ripped stuff.
Top Top