Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/22/2006 12:23:57 PM EDT
OK, for the first time in my life I am  going to attempt to do  my taxes all by myself. I may have some more questions, but first,  I went to walmart and bought TurboTax delux.  The tag said 2005.  Is this right.  This is the one I need right?  I can understand it being called 2005 cause taxes are for 2005, but I could also see it being called 2006.  I can't imagine walmart puttinig out the wrong  year or something though.

Anyway, before I open it could someone verify that I have gotten the right version.  

Thank you

Luke.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:25:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I dont know what the difference is between the one you bought and the one i used on the net.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:26:05 PM EDT
[#2]
2005 is correct.

It should say "Tax Year 2005"
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:27:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes they are referring to the tax year you're filing for, 2005 is correct.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:28:34 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
2005 is correct.

It should say "Tax Year 2005"

Ahh, small letters,  I didn't see that.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:28:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes that is the right version. There is also a 'do your taxes online' at the TurboTax website. I buy a copy that includes State when I do mine. That's the way I roll.

It'll walk you through your return and it will ask you questions that have nothing to do with you, just go one step at a time and it will be a breeze.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 12:30:50 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yes that is the right version. There is also a 'do your taxes online' at the TurboTax website. I buy a copy that includes State when I do mine. That's the way I roll.
(-:

If you order from them, you get the state one too

I used to do it online, but you can't (or couldn't) do partial year in 1 state, partial in another, with the online, so I had to switch back to disk
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:52:59 PM EDT
[#7]
about the state one.  SD doesn't  have state  income  tax, so I don't think I have to do that, is this right??

My first real question is should me and my wife file together or not?

background, we were married last may. she is in school, I just work.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:55:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
about the state one.  SD doesn't  have state  income  tax, so I don't think I have to do that, is this right??

My first real question is should me and my wife file together or not?

background, we were married last may. she is in school, I just work.

You can try it both ways with the software and see where it gets you.  And no you don't need to worry about the State software if your state has no income tax.
Link Posted: 3/22/2006 4:57:28 PM EDT
[#9]
As others have said, 2005 is correct, also, just relax and take your time, have all your W2s ready, Bank interest info, mortage etc, follow the step by step instructions.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top