Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/17/2006 11:10:32 AM EDT
My wife teaches an Aerobic class at my church twice a week. Last night, DURNING a class, a guy comes in grabs a lot of the women’s purses. Then Albey, the lady who helps my wife screams, "Joan, get your gun." He drops 2 of the purses and runs. There is a car waiting on him with the engine running outside the door. He jumps in and they cut out.

My wife calls 911 and was on hold for about 15 minutes before someone comes on the phone. She was Pissed.

Then Albey tells my wife it was a "cheap" wake up, on one was hurt, and on one really lost any money.

It was REALLY a wake up call for my wife who has a permit, and does not carry all the time. As a matter of fact she did NOT have it with her last night. She says it will be with her all the time now....

So may be some good DID came out of it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:12:34 AM EDT
your wife is lucky
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:14:48 AM EDT
wow! I'm copying my wife on this one. Good job Mrs.Tank!
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:17:17 AM EDT
On hold...on 911?? Somebody would get fired here for that.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:17:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By tankdriver:
Then Albey, the lady who helps my wife screams, "Joan, get your gun."

If that happened to me, I'd be PISSED OFF. This is another good reason to carry concealed, and keep my mouth shut. I don't need other people announcing to the world that I have a gun, ESPECIALLY at time like that.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:19:28 AM EDT

a guy comes in grabs a lot of the women’s purses

Another lesson: don't keep your gun in your purse (or manpurse, whatever the case may be).

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:21:37 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:22:21 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SubnetMask:

If that happened to me, I'd be PISSED OFF. This is another good reason to carry concealed, and keep my mouth shut. I don't need other people announcing to the world that I have a gun, ESPECIALLY at time like that.

+1,000,000.

The LAST thing you need in a situation like that is to have your "cover" blown by some panicked sheeple. Talk about tossing all your options out the window.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:27:11 AM EDT
How did the guy know that purses would just be laying around? Did he case the place from a large window?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:29:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/17/2006 11:31:57 AM EDT by Admiral_Crunch]
It's not like you're going to be carrying on your person during an aerobics class or have a holstered pistol on the mat next to you. Hard to deal with that situation. If she'd had a gun, it might have just gotten stolen along with the purses.

And I'd definitely have a nice conversation with Annie Get-Your-Gun and tell her why that was a very stupid thing to say.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:30:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By attack:
How did the guy know that purses would just be laying around? Did he case the place from a large window?

He might have noticed the class the week before or something and saw easy pickings, especially if all the purses and bags were piled near the door. He probably came back the next week or night hoping to see the same situation again.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:33:13 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
It's not like you're going to be carrying on your person during an aerobics class or have a holstered pistol on the mat next to you. Hard to deal with that situation. It might have just gotten stolen along with the purses.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe a fanny-pack would be appropriate in this case, sitting on the floor next to a water bottle.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:34:47 AM EDT

Originally Posted By vanilla_gorilla:

You serious?
911 is so incredibly unreliable.
It's just something to do while you wait to die.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:36:45 AM EDT
I carry mine to the gym, but lock it in the locker.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:37:38 AM EDT
Just remember this.... people do not need to have a gun when they're at chuch or any church-related function and there should be a law against carrying a gun onto church property!

When all the God fearing, church going, pro-RKBA types don't express outrage over carry laws which prohibit carrying into/onto church grounds, school grounds, public busing, etc., the logic eludes me. Bad guys carry anywhere they want to go because they don't follow the rules. The only way to prevent being a victim is to carry everywhere as well.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:41:00 AM EDT

That is correct. Exactly why I lie about it. A buddy of mine asked me the other day, "You carry a gun?" I looked him in the eyes and said "nahh."

To boot, once he realized she was a ways from the gun he could just have easily figured out what purse was hers and have a new pistol with which to rob more arobics classes.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:43:03 AM EDT
I would think Churches would be easy picken's for BG's.
CCW should be allowed but remember there are classrooms
being conducted at churches so I would think no.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 11:47:54 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MTUSA:
I would think Churches would be easy picken's for BG's.
CCW should be allowed but remember there are classrooms
being conducted at churches so I would think no.

Very true, in the history of crime a BG has never had the guts to use a firearm in a school or classroom. I guess you could consider the 15-20 school shootings in the last decade or so, but that's about it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:02:45 PM EDT

Originally Posted By vanilla_gorilla:

Memphis has been running things on the news about people calling 911 if their tash has not been picked up. They are talking about interducing a law to fine people calling 911 for nothing.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:03:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Airwolf:

+1,000,000.

The LAST thing you need in a situation like that is to have your "cover" blown by some panicked sheeple. Talk about tossing all your options out the window.

Correct, BUT he did not start running out till AFTER Albey hollered for her to get her gun. I do not know what would have happened if he did not think she was armed. THAT'S when he ran.

Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:09:48 PM EDT
Thank God your wife got a wake-up call without all the miseries.

LB
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:44:46 PM EDT
How about putting the purses on the other side away from the door?
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 12:55:42 PM EDT
Hell I know instructors around here that teach CCW classes at local churches. Maybe in addition to aerobics class, your wife can do that as well. Hey, maybe a kind of combo thing, shooting on the move is a difficult skill to master.
Top Top