Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2006 8:29:28 AM EDT
Last week I had my second annual termite inspection.  The first guy didn't seem to give a shit, this guy did.  He told me they couldn't thorughly inspect for termites becaue I had fiberglass insulation stuffed into the recesses between the basement walls (concrete) and the first floor.  He recommended either removing the insulation, or having termite traps installed around the house.

I have no idea if removing the insulation would be a good idea or not. The traps are ~$600 to install and $40 a quarter to maintain.  If I go with the traps I can hard finish my basement rather than install a drop ceiling.  However, the only place I would want to hard finish would be the gun room.

What do you think? Remove the insulation or go with the traps?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 8:36:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't know the answer to your question as we don't have basements down here, but we do have termites. We have non native termites that are so tough nothing short of a 16oz hammer will kill em.

My plan is to starve em to death. The next house I build will not have any wood in it, masonry exterior walls all metal studs and metal roof truss system.

Swamprat51
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:10:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Don't know the answer to your question as we don't have basements down here, but we do have termites. We have non native termites that are so tough nothing short of a 16oz hammer will kill em.

My plan is to starve em to death. The next house I build will not have any wood in it, masonry exterior walls all metal studs and metal roof truss system.

Swamprat51

Wish I had that option, I'd really like to go with an all concrete structure.  I do live in tornado alley after all.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:43:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had good luck with the termite traps.

Every now and then one of them gets a hit and is crawling with termites.

I then put the poison stakes in around the trap, and after a few weeks, they are all gone.

Not sure if this is the best thing to do in all conditions, but so far it's worked for me.

Ed
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 1:48:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Not to hijack your thread, but while in Houston a few weeks ago, I heard a warning on the news to homeowners that there were concerns that Formosa termites (bad mofos!) might be spread in mulch made from the tons of debris coming from the New Orleans area.   Don't know if it is true.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Not to hijack your thread, but while in Houston a few weeks ago, I heard a warning on the news to homeowners that there were concerns that Formosa termites (bad mofos!) might be spread in mulch made from the tons of debris coming from the New Orleans area.   Don't know if it is true.

I am telling you I just don't know what to think about Houston. First Houston wants our outstanding citizens from New Orleans and now they are taking our Formosa termites. What is next that they will steal from us? Just like them to kick us when we are down.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 5:41:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I then put the poison stakes in around the trap, and after a few weeks, they are all gone.

Not sure if this is the best thing to do in all conditions, but so far it's worked for me.

Ed

Is this stuff dog safe?
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ed

Is this stuff dog safe?

I've got two dogs, so I'd be concerned if I thought it wasn't. The poison stakes are plastic with holes in them. The poison inside is just a strip of corrigated cardboard soaked in something. I guess theoretically a dog could dig them up, chomp on them to crack them, and then eat the cardboard. I doubt the poison is even harmful to dogs though as it's specifically designed for termites. There are two kinds, one keeps them from shedding their exoskeleton and the other works some other way.....but I forgot how.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top