Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 5:59:09 AM EDT
I am thinking of buying a 1989 4x4 Comanche with 150k, 4.0 automatic. It needs new paint but no rust or body damage.  He is asking $1400 for it but I problably can get it around $1200 if it hasn't been sold by the weekend. Oh yeah, it has a new radiator, new fuel pump, recent brake job, the only problems are a leaky valve cover gasket.

I am really just wanting something to tool around with and hit a few mud holes on the weekend, what say you?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:05:37 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a jeep. 'nuff said. I have two jeeps, an 80 cj and a 93 yj wrangler. They've both served me well. The YJ has survived more beatings than many prisoners out in the middle east. It's been through hell without any major breakage(lots o dentage), and it's stock.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:13:50 AM EDT
[#2]
The 4.0/auto combo is a durable drivetrain. If it's been properly maintained, it should serve you well.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:23:10 AM EDT
[#3]
My '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee has the 4.0 litre 6cyl - auto also.

Has 210K miles on it and still running strong. Original owner here
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:23:37 AM EDT
[#4]
What about the price? Seems decent but I really don't know what they are going for.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:29:42 AM EDT
[#5]
It's hard to go wrong with a Cherokee/Comanche with the 4.0L/AW4 combo.

Quoted:
What about the price? Seems decent but I really don't know what they are going for.

Prices vary a lot for 4wd vehicles, depending on the demand in your area.  Check out Ebay for national prices; it looks like they're in the $1600-$1700 range there, so $1200 would be a nice price compared to the average.

For a less common vehicle like the Comanche, it's a little better to find what the "right" price is.  $1200 certainly sounds like a good one on your end.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:30:01 AM EDT
[#6]
The 4.0 runs forever. However the manual trans for that year is the week link.  I don't know anything about that year automatic. With a little money you can build them into a very good off road truck. I have owned a 87 Comanchee and a 90 Cherokee. Both were built for 4 wheeling. Still have the 90.

Take a look at www.rubiconexpress.com for what can be done to them.

Check the air filter box. If the piston rings are worn the motor will blow a lot of oil into the air filter through the valve cover vent.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:00:04 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The 4.0 runs forever. However the manual trans for that year is the week link.  I don't know anything about that year automatic. With a little money you can build them into a very good off road truck. I have owned a 87 Comanchee and a 90 Cherokee. Both were built for 4 wheeling. Still have the 90.

Take a look at www.rubiconexpress.com for what can be done to them.

Check the air filter box. If the piston rings are worn the motor will blow a lot of oil into the air filter through the valve cover vent.

I can't remember if that year had the crappy pugeot french piece of shit tranny. You should be good to go with the AW4. My CJ has a tf-727 in it. It's a bullet proof tranny that I would suggest to anyone that does any degree of heavy jeep usage.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:39:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the input, getting the funds together now. Hopefully it will still be there when I do!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Thanks for the input, getting the funds together now. Hopefully it will still be there when I do!

Just remember, Jeeps are like guns.....You always have to tinker or add something to them. At least, that's how it is for me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:51:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Just remember, Jeeps are like guns.....You always have to tinker or add something to them. At least, that's how it is for me.

I am already making a list and I don't even have it yet
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top