Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/7/2006 5:59:09 AM EDT
I am thinking of buying a 1989 4x4 Comanche with 150k, 4.0 automatic. It needs new paint but no rust or body damage. He is asking $1400 for it but I problably can get it around $1200 if it hasn't been sold by the weekend. Oh yeah, it has a new radiator, new fuel pump, recent brake job, the only problems are a leaky valve cover gasket.

I am really just wanting something to tool around with and hit a few mud holes on the weekend, what say you?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:05:37 AM EDT
It's a jeep. 'nuff said. I have two jeeps, an 80 cj and a 93 yj wrangler. They've both served me well. The YJ has survived more beatings than many prisoners out in the middle east. It's been through hell without any major breakage(lots o dentage), and it's stock.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:13:50 AM EDT
The 4.0/auto combo is a durable drivetrain. If it's been properly maintained, it should serve you well.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:23:10 AM EDT
My '95 Jeep Grand Cherokee has the 4.0 litre 6cyl - auto also.

Has 210K miles on it and still running strong. Original owner here
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:23:37 AM EDT
What about the price? Seems decent but I really don't know what they are going for.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:29:42 AM EDT
It's hard to go wrong with a Cherokee/Comanche with the 4.0L/AW4 combo.

Originally Posted By jmarkma:
What about the price? Seems decent but I really don't know what they are going for.

Prices vary a lot for 4wd vehicles, depending on the demand in your area. Check out Ebay for national prices; it looks like they're in the $1600-$1700 range there, so $1200 would be a nice price compared to the average.

For a less common vehicle like the Comanche, it's a little better to find what the "right" price is. $1200 certainly sounds like a good one on your end.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 6:30:01 AM EDT
The 4.0 runs forever. However the manual trans for that year is the week link. I don't know anything about that year automatic. With a little money you can build them into a very good off road truck. I have owned a 87 Comanchee and a 90 Cherokee. Both were built for 4 wheeling. Still have the 90.

Take a look at www.rubiconexpress.com for what can be done to them.

Check the air filter box. If the piston rings are worn the motor will blow a lot of oil into the air filter through the valve cover vent.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:00:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 89hawk:
The 4.0 runs forever. However the manual trans for that year is the week link. I don't know anything about that year automatic. With a little money you can build them into a very good off road truck. I have owned a 87 Comanchee and a 90 Cherokee. Both were built for 4 wheeling. Still have the 90.

Take a look at www.rubiconexpress.com for what can be done to them.

Check the air filter box. If the piston rings are worn the motor will blow a lot of oil into the air filter through the valve cover vent.

I can't remember if that year had the crappy pugeot french piece of shit tranny. You should be good to go with the AW4. My CJ has a tf-727 in it. It's a bullet proof tranny that I would suggest to anyone that does any degree of heavy jeep usage.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:39:17 AM EDT
Thanks for the input, getting the funds together now. Hopefully it will still be there when I do!
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:46:43 AM EDT

Thanks for the input, getting the funds together now. Hopefully it will still be there when I do!

Just remember, Jeeps are like guns.....You always have to tinker or add something to them. At least, that's how it is for me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:51:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By kc8ard:

Just remember, Jeeps are like guns.....You always have to tinker or add something to them. At least, that's how it is for me.

I am already making a list and I don't even have it yet
Top Top