Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2006 9:29:32 AM EDT
I hate to keep bugging you guys here for help, but my router is giving me a hard time again.  This is really the only forum I use, so hopefully you guys won’t mind helping me out again.

I have SBC DSL for the last 14 months.  I have not had any troubles until last Friday when I changed to a wireless router.  Now the router keeps dropping out regularly.  I changed back to the old router and it’s doing the exact same thing, so I don’t think the either router is to blame. They are noth set up the same.

Here’s what I have:

The DSL Modem has an IP address of 192.168.0.1

The WAN connection is then connected to my Router WAN connection.
The Router IP address is 192.168.0.1 (I know it's the same as the DSL modem)

This is the only way it works, but it does not work very well.  What happens is that it stops working after about 12 hours or so (maybe sooner, but if I reset it at night, by morning it's not working.  I reset the router in the morning and then by the time I get home from work, I have to reset it again. I work days.)

So I starting looking into this today and see the DSL modem is on 192.168.0.1 and I think that's got to be the trouble, both devices use the same IP address.  I change the Router to 192.168.0.2 and I now my Email and Firefox can't seem to find the internet.  I reboot the computer, but it still does not work.  What’s odd is that Winamp can still stream music over the internet, so I know the connection it working, just not thru Outlook Express and Firefox.

I change back to 192.168.0.1 and now my email and Firefox work (as well as Winamp stream music).  

I think the conflict in IP address is why it stops working after a while, but I can't seem to make it work with any other address.  

Any ideas, I’m stuck and getting pissed off?  After I get this fixed, I am heading out to the range to burn up some ammo.

I am not a computer guy, but know about enough to be dangerous.

Thanks in advance.

Eric
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 9:58:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Hell I don't know, I changed it to 192.168.1.1 and now it's working.  I'll leave it like that for a while and see what happens.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:04:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 10:14:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The DSL Modem has an IP address of 192.168.0.1
The WAN connection is then connected to my Router WAN connection.
The Router IP address is 192.169.0.1 (I know it's the same as the DSL modem)
Eric

Well first off, these aren't the same--one is 192.168.0.1, and the other you say is 192.169.0.1....

but they should be different, just so you can know which you are accessing.
Have you tried setting up static IP's on the wireless router and computers, or are you just "leaving everything on automatic"?
~
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Question - Which one is acting as the DHCP server...

They can't BOTH be set as server.

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:25:53 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Question - Which one is acting as the DHCP server...

They can't BOTH be set as server.

Hmmm, I'm not sure.

Which one should be set as the DHCP server?  
Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:30:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Depending on the Modem model it can be done either way.

My parents have SBC/Yahoo DSL - the modem is set to "DUMB" mode and the router assigns the LAN IP addresses via DHCP.

This is also the way most cable modems are set up. ie- you don't allways want to let your ISP know how many boxes you are running as they may decide to charge more.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top