Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2006 7:30:24 AM EDT
Are they still selling/distributing xbox 360's or are they on hold while they work the bugs out with the controllers and the like? I haven't seen them in any stores besides the displa models and I haven't heard much about them since Christmas?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:31:44 AM EDT
[#1]
get a PS3
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:32:23 AM EDT
[#2]
what do you mean problems with controllers and bugs I have had mine since the start of febuary and its been flawless!

the new ghost recon is coming out and everyone is going to be saying pswhat?!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:33:30 AM EDT
[#3]
If I had cash I'd get one, so I could play Quake 4 once every six months like I do Doom 3 on my brother's XBOX.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:34:22 AM EDT
[#4]
You can find them in the store it just takes time. It doesnt hurt to make a few friends at best buy and walmart though. I was going to wait on a PS3 but rumors, mind you I said rumors are floating about about late this year.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:37:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You can find them in the store it just takes time. It doesnt hurt to make a few friends at best buy and walmart though. I was going to wait on a PS3 but rumors, mind you I said rumors are floating about about late this year.

PS3 has a tentative date of Sept. 16th.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:38:51 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and rumors say its going to be about  $800
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:40:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Don't get me wrong I can't wait for the release but I'm going to use my xbox 360 till then or whenever.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:53:32 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sony announced today there could be a delay (after a non-denial-denial last week)... translation means delay. My guess is the PS3 won’t see the market this year.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
get a PS3

I thought this was AFRCOM? Get both! That's what I'm doing.

However, I have not even seen an xbox 360 on any store shelves. But I have noticed that their price is going down on ebay. It'll proabably be summer before I do anything, though.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:58:29 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rumors are $900 production cost and $700 street price... if that is the case look for the Xbox 360 to take the market. Even at $600 the PS3 is not going to do well,

Sony is not in good enough financial shape to take a $200+ loss on each unit.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Are they still selling/distributing xbox 360's or are they on hold while they work the bugs out with the controllers and the like? I haven't seen them in any stores besides the displa models and I haven't heard much about them since Christmas?

Bug with the controllers?

You haven't seen them in stores because there's a limited supply and they're selling like hotcakes.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:02:22 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
get a PS3

GayStation

I will end up getting it for metal gear solid though.  Anyone who gets one for gran tourismo is a fag.

Yes, you can find xbox360's. the local Wal-Mart here has 8 or 9 of them, as of yesterday.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:06:53 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:
get a PS3

GayStation

Don't critize other's lifestyles.

Will the PS3 be the brokeback of the gaming world?  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:07:46 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Rumors are $900 production cost and $700 street price... if that is the case look for the Xbox 360 to take the market. Even at $600 the PS3 is not going to do well,

$700 for the PS3? No thanks! I was planning on getting one, but at that price, hell no.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:15:36 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$700 for the PS3? No thanks! I was planning on getting one, but at that price, hell no.

I seriously doubt Sony is going to shoot themselves in the foot by making the PS3 a street price of $600+

They will release the system close to what the 360 was/is going for.

Considering they are one of the LARGEST electronics and conglomerates in the world, they can afford some loss.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:28:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I seriously doubt Sony is going to shoot themselves in the foot by making the PS3 a street price of $600+

Considering they are one of the LARGEST electronics and conglomerates in the world, they can afford some loss.

Not anymore… not today. Sony is not that company today.

Sony cannot afford that kind of loss they are not in good financial shape they are not the dominating company they were just a few years ago. Large parts of their electronics market are being eaten up by Korean and Chinese companies. A $200+ per unit loss on the PS3 will break Sony, Sony DOES NOT have the resources or on hand cash Microsoft has.

My guess the talk of delays are coming from the fact Sony has realized they cannot sell a console that cost over $500 street price and they are looking at ways to get the price down. Sony is now having to deal with real world cost constraints that Microsoft dealt with up front on the Xbox 360. Look for them to dump Blue-ray and cut features and performance. People that have waited for the PS3 are not going to be happy.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:37:32 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Guess I'll be in line for a few Extra Jobs after my regular duty shift at the PD then
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:38:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
get a PS3

GayStation

Don't critize other's lifestyles.

Will the PS3 be the brokeback of the gaming world?  

I'm with you brokeback gayming brother!  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sony cannot afford that kind of loss they are not in good financial shape they are not the dominating company they were just a few years ago. Large parts of their electronics market are being eaten up by Korean and Chinese companies. A $200+ per unit loss on the PS3 will break Sony, Sony DOES NOT have the resources or on hand cash Microsoft has.

My guess the talk of delays are coming from the fact Sony has realized they cannot sell a console that cost over $500 street price and they are looking at ways to get the price down. Sony is now having to deal with real world cost constraints that Microsoft dealt with up front on the Xbox 360. Look for them to dump Blue-ray and cut features and performance. People that have waited for the PS3 are not going to be happy.

+1  
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:39:55 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:45:13 AM EDT
[#21]
I have seen a Best Buy that had around 2 or 3 XBox 360's just sitting on the shelf recently so they are still being released.  I have had one since launch and I have not had any problems with it at all.  I know that there are some people that have had problems, but I have never heard anything about the controllers.

I agree that the PS3 might be in trouble if it comes out at a price of $700.  It is rumored that they will push back the release date until around October.  The biggest reason I think for the price is the Blue-Ray DVD drive that they want to use.  Unfortunately, since this is not a common technology, you will have early adopters who purchase the product and are willing to deal with the hassles of a new technology, but I would think that most people like me would look at the price and compare that to the XBox 360 and compare.  I don't think that alot of people will care that much about the Blue-Ray DVD initially until things are developed to take advantage of this technology.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:45:36 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I understand Sony is not the financially sound company it was 15 years ago, but this can make or break Sony gaming.

Anything we talk about now is just rumors and speculation.

We'll see if the fanboys are right about this being the end all of gaming systems.

I just wish some decent games would come out for the 360.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 9:46:33 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand Sony is not the financially sound company it was 15 years ago, but this can make or break Sony gaming.

We'll see if the fanboys are right about this being the end all of gaming systems.

I just wish I could find an XBOX360 in stores to begin with
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Not all roumor. It is not a rumor that Sony itself said today there may be a delay.

Last month Sony said no way there would be a delay.
Last week Sony there would be no delay... unless they needed one.
This week Sony says there may be a delay.

It don’t take Cassandra to figure out where this is headed… there will be a delay. Sony has not even started taking orders... there is no way in hell they will launch next quarter.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#25]
Fuck this Shit!
I got Kirby on Super Nintendo and FF8 on my computer.
600 bucks for another gaming console!?!?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:04:57 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Not all roumor. It is not a rumor that Sony itself said today there may be a delay.

Last month Sony said no way there would be a delay.
Last week Sony there would be no delay... unless they needed one.
This week Sony says there may be a delay.

It don’t take Cassandra to figure out where this is headed… there will be a delay. Sony has not even started taking orders... there is no way in hell they will launch next quarter.

Ok, let me clarify this:  FEATURES are speculation and rumors currently, that I know of.

I don't even expect to see a PS3 on shelves this year.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:32:02 AM EDT
[#27]
hmmm bump...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 10:32:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Merrill Lynch does and seeks to do business with companies covered in its research reports. As a result, investors should be aware that the firm may
have a conflict of interest that could affect the objectivity of this report.

Playstation 3 slippage looking
more likely - implications
�� Most important implications for game software vendors
Commentary from our Japanese colleague Hitoshi Kuriyama yesterday regarding
the possibility of a delayed Playstation 3 (PS3) launch has important implications
for game software vendors, and somewhat less notable implications for hardware
and semiconductor vendors. The analysis cited reports that the launch of PS3
could be delayed by between 6 and 12 months, with the result being an autumn
launch in Japan and a late 2006 or early 2007 launch in the U.S. We address the
possible impact on different businesses in this note.
It’s now clear that the box is extremely expensive to make
We wrote last November (The Next Game Consoles, 11/2/05) that Sony’s (SNE,
C-3-9, $46.01) design choices for the PS3 had resulted in an expensive and
difficult-to-manufacture product, and we think that we’re seeing the consequences
of those choices play out now. In particular we think the problem points are the
Sony Cell processor and the Blu-Ray drive. Our updated analysis indicates that
the initial bill of materials for PS3 could approach $800, falling to $320 three years
from launch.
2006 software could be impacted, but result could be a
more extended game cycle

Technology Strategy
17 February 2006
Table 1: PlayStation 3 bill of material analysis
Components Description
Est. Cost
at launch
Est. Cost
after 3 years
CPU IBM Cell Processor
1 PPC Core @3.2GHz
1 VMX vector unit per core
512KB L2 cache
7xSPEs @3.2GHz
$230 $60
GPU NVIDIA RSX @550MHz
Full HD (up to 1080p) x2 channels $70 $50
Optical Media Blu-ray $350 $100
Memory 256MB XDR Main RAM
256MB GDDR3 VRAM at 700 MHz $50 $30
HDD Detachable 2.5" HDD NA NA
USB 6 ports (front x4, rear x2) $5 $3
Ethernet Gigabit Ethernet
1x input, 2x output $5 $4
WiFi 802.11 b/g $5 $3
Bluetooth Bluetooth 2.0 $5 $5
Other components Analog IC
ASICs
I/O components
$80 $65
TOTAL $800 $320

Source: Merrill Lynch
A PS3 slip would be negative for game software sales
overall, although xBox 360 could plug some of the gap
From a software standpoint, delay of PS3 launch in the U.S. and Europe could
result in lower CY06 and CY07 industry revenues that we are anticipating (We
are currently at 1% growth in 2006 and +17% in 2007) but, perhaps, an extension
of the video game cycle another year. We are expecting PS3 software industry
revenues of $320mn in CY06 and $2.9bn in CY07 from the PS3, which
represents 2% and 19% of video game software industry revenues, respectively.
Our current industry model assumes 1.2mn PS3 units sold in North America and
0.5mn in Europe in CY06 and 6mn in North America and 5mn in Europe in CY07.
Our CY07 estimates are consistent with the year-2 ramp of the PS3, which sold
7mn in the U.S. and 5.5 in Europe in 2001. If Sony were to delay the PS3 launch
in North America and Europe into early CY07, our industry forecast could fall from
a 1% to a 3-4% decline in CY06 and from 17% growth to high single digit growth
in CY07, depending on the extent of the reduction of our PS3 installed based
estimates. We note that the xBox 360 could help pick up some of the slack if
Microsoft increases hardware unit production, helping stabilize industry growth.
Microsoft, graphics IC vendors most impacted on the
hardware side

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top