Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2006 8:57:59 PM EDT
Swervedriver's post on John Petrucci and two other guitarists (Vai & Satriani) (Thread) got me to go to the CD collection to get out the Dream Theater collection and listen to them again.

DAMN these guys are great. If you wanna get one of their CD's may I suggest this one:

"Images & Words"

the first song "Pull Me Under" got a lot of airplay on most rock stations so you may be familiar with that one but ALL the songs on that CD is just unbelievable. VERY technical and they are TIGHT musically.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 8:59:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Dream Theater Rocks.  Incredible stuff.

Check out Metropolis Part 1: Scenes from a memory.  

The best rock opera since Tommy.

Images and words isn't even their best non-story CD.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:01:47 PM EDT
[#2]
by far and away the best guitar playing in any band EVER
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:04:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

OH I agree with you 100%, I think that if you wanted to get into DT, Images & Words is mild enough to get you hooked... then go into the more intricate and technical stuff...

Have you checked out "A Change of Seasons?" they do copies of Led Zep, Deep Purple, Queen, Genesis... a GREAT cover album.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:10:02 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OH I agree with you 100%, I think that if you wanted to get into DT, Images & Words is mild enough to get you hooked... then go into the more intricate and technical stuff...

Have you checked out "A Change of Seasons?" they do copies of Led Zep, Deep Purple, Queen, Genesis... a GREAT cover album.

A change of seasons is awesome, maybe for the song, not the covers though.

That is about the greatest 23 minutes of recorded music there is.

I'll always remember
The chill of November
The news of the fall
The sounds in the hall
The clock on the wall ticking away
'Seize the Day'
I heard him say
Life will not always be this way
Look around
Hear the sounds
Cherish your life while you're still around

"Gather ye rosebuds while ye may,
Old Time is still a-flying;
And this same flower that smiles today,
Tomorrow will be dying."

We can learn from the past
But those days are gone
We can hope for the future
But there may not be one

perfect
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:19:09 PM EDT
[#6]
The only song I really like from them was "pull me under" what other song rocks like that?
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:20:15 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Technically good music, but not good.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:25:06 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

WELL!!!! .....

See if I invite YOU to anymore birthday parties!!!

ETA: I expect some people to NOT like them. Its one of those take it or leave it sounds. Its all good.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:46:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WELL!!!! .....

See if I invite YOU to anymore birthday parties!!!

ETA: I expect some people to NOT like them. Its one of those take it or leave it sounds. Its all good.

I expect MOST people not to like them.

But they just don't know what they're missing.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:47:34 PM EDT
[#11]
For progressive rock, I prefer porcupine tree.  Dream theater sounds good until I hear the vocals.  
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:50:01 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
For progressive rock, I prefer porcupine tree.  Dream theater sounds good until I hear the vocals.  

That's what liquid tension experiment is for, lol.

Plus LTE has Tony Levin.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 9:52:29 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Plus LTE has Tony Levin.

Never heard of it.  I'm into metal (melodic death and progressive), and have just recently begun to venture into progressive rock.

ETA:  Sounds sort of like Dream Theater without the vocals.  I understand now.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:05:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

+
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Dream Theater is like 4 parts Iron Maiden, 2 parts Queensryche, 2 parts Pink Floyd, and 2 parts various over-the-top individual musicians all wrapped up into one band. They rock.

Frige, you recommend "Images and Words" but they've matured quite a bit since then. "Octavarium"  kicks so much ass it isn't funny. Check out "Sacrificed Sons" in particular (or "Never Enough" for the guitar players).

I can't say enough good things about this band.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:10:05 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Dream Theater is like 4 parts Iron Maiden, 2 parts Queensryche, 2 parts Pink Floyd, and 2 parts various over-the-top individual musicians all wrapped up into one band. They rock.

Frige, you recommend "Images and Words" but they've matured quite a bit since then. "Octavarium"  kicks so much ass it isn't funny. Check out "Sacrificed Sons" in particular (or "Never Enough" for the guitar players).

Octavarium is next on the list.. I have like 4 or 5 of their CD's... They are just awesome. I only recommended I&W simply because it is a GREAT gateway CD to their talents.
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 11:16:16 PM EDT
[#18]
IMO Scenes from a memory is their best work.

I love octavarium too though. And six degrees of inner turbulence.

All good stuff.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:19:28 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Swervedriver's post on John Petrucci and two other guitarists (Vai & Satriani) (Thread) got me to go to the CD collection to get out the Dream Theater collection and listen to them again.

DAMN these guys are great. If you wanna get one of their CD's may I suggest this one:

"Images & Words"

ec1.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000002JPA.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

the first song "Pull Me Under" got a lot of airplay on most rock stations so you may be familiar with that one but ALL the songs on that CD is just unbelievable. VERY technical and they are TIGHT musically.

My cousin took guitar lessons from Petrucci!!  It's funny, I though DT was pretty much a Long Island thing here.  I think Mike Portnoy's parents own a deli in the area also.  

I've seen them play live probably 4 or 5 times.  Great band...
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:38:22 AM EDT
[#21]
Been my favorite band for about 15 years.  

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:46:50 AM EDT
[#22]
I have been listening to "Awake" lately (the one that came right after I&W. It has some amazing guitar work. Songs such as "Innocence faded" and "Erotomania" are just fantastic. I'm not too crazy about the vocals, but the instrumental work more than makes up for it.

Vastly underrated band.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 5:47:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I just don't like Mike Portnoy as a drummer.  He's good, but I don't like his style.  So I don't listen to 'em.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:00:13 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

+1 ... I like dream theater just fine until the singer comes in. They should fire that guy and just do instrumentals. Yes I have the LTE cds.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:01:55 AM EDT
[#25]
Were Vai and Satriani in Dream Theatre ?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:11:56 AM EDT
[#26]
I own a couple of Dream Theater albums, and I listen to 'em once in a while.  They just do'nt rock hard enough for me most of the time.  I like alot of death, power, black metal.  Great stuff to get you pumped.  I think Dream Theater is kind of  a chick band seriously.  

If you listen to alot of extreme metal and you have a g/f (or any freind, I guess) that you want to get envolved in your music tastes, (for what ever reason) Dream Theater is a good starter band.

A Dream Theater sesion for me usually goes like this:

I randomly grab a CD when Im driving.  (I just grab any CD from a booklet or spindle, so I can have my eyes on the road.)

I put said random CD in play and start listening.

Somtimes the CD ends up being Dream Theater

I say: "I havent heard this for awhile, cool"

2min later

"Damnit these guys are so fruity, I forgot how much of a chick band they really are!"

Then I proceed to eject the CD and put somthing else in,  Hopfully anything else but DT. I like stuff like: Cannibal Corpse, Charley Parker, Johnny Cash, Immortal, Danzig, Dark Funneral, RELLIK, Vivaldi, Wagner, Old Man's Child, Melovolent Creation, Monstrosity, S.O.D., Slayer,  Morbid Angel, Decapitated, Frank Sinatra, Blood for Blood........
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:12:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Great band - and their covers of other artist's songs are amazing!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 6:12:44 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

no
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:08:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Train of Thought will leave you leave you gasping for breath after its finished! One of my all time favorite cd's
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
. . .

. . .

Yeah, that was a great CD. They also have a live DVD of that as well. Mike Portnoy rules!
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:25:25 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

No, they got together with Petrucci for the G3 tours in 2001,2002 and 2005. Vai and Satriani are the usual "2" of G3, and they get somebody else to be the "3". Vai has not been in a couple of the tours, but he's usually there. Satriani is always there, as G3 is his child.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 8:58:59 AM EDT
[#32]
6degrees of inner turbulence was an awesome set.  Very deep.

I agree the vocals are the flaw in the band, but still incredible stuff.  But James Lebrie, the guy they have singing now, is much better than their first singer.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:01:34 AM EDT
[#33]
 I have seen Dream Theater six times and every performance I have caught was excellent.  I was lucky to miss a bad sound system gig they had here in PHX a few years back.  They actually came back and REDID the show for the fans and took out an apology add and asked everyone to come back....I also missed the REDO unfortuantely, I have heard that it was one of their best shows ever.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:14:20 AM EDT
[#34]
It seems like they cant keep a Keyboardist for too long. Kevin Moore was a great writer and I liked his stuff.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 9:57:45 AM EDT
[#35]
last album i heard was 'awake'.  more texture, and a warmer sound.

the funny part about DT is that their technique is so perfect, it makes them sound almost synthesized.  and some of the songwriting is...well:

"...like a scream, but sort of silent..."

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:06:15 AM EDT
[#36]
If you havent heard the Live version of "Hollow Years", you havent heard DT.

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:19:03 AM EDT
[#37]
I always thought that they picked up where Fate's Warning left off, and desired to go....

Being a lifelong musician, I've always appreciated this type of music. Any asshole with a guitar can write a hit. Just look at Scott Stapp (phag)!

It actually takes brains to compose like the DreamTheaters/FatesWarnings/Savatages/TransSiberianOrchestras of the world....
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Technically good music, but not good.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Bristling with talent at every instrument, but lame songs. I admire what they do, but I can't listen to it.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#39]
You prog rock guys need to listen to Rhapsody.

video:
RHAPSODY- Holy Thunderforce

another video, featuring Christopher Lee
www.spv.de/ra/Rhapsodyvideo.ram

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:52:40 AM EDT
[#40]
I can't stop watching them and laughing...

Rhapsody: Rain of a Thousand Flames

Unholy Warcry

Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:20:32 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Being a lifelong musician, I've always appreciated this type of music. Any asshole with a guitar can write a hit. Just look at Scott Stapp (phag)!

It actually takes brains to compose like the DreamTheaters/FatesWarnings/Savatages/TransSiberianOrchestras of the world....

I don't agree that anyone can write a hit. Sure, some bands have industry support and are adequate enough songwriters to put their name on the charts (Creed), but good songwriters are gifted, just like Petrucci is, only their skill is writing good songs.....whereas his is writing complex arrangements and noodling waaaay fast.

I liken it to acting. ANYONE can act, but so few can act well enough that you forget you're watching an actor.....and this goes for comedy as well as drama. Look at it like this. Jim Carrey is a genius. Watch Mask or Ace Ventura. Sure, it's stupid, but there is only one person alive that can do his roles, him. Now, look at Michael Caine. Sure, he's a good actor, but there are 25 guys of his caliber that can act right along side him. So, is Carrey the better actor? No, but he's gifted. Same with songwriting. Dream Theater is a talented band, but they're not gifted songwriters. Sorry, they're not.....that's why they're not popular, because at the root of it their songs stink.

What musicians like to do is pass off anything frivilous or light or even pop-oriented as talentless crap, as if any good musician can write solid pop songs. That's incredibly short-sighted. Good songs are very difficult to write - look at bands who in their infancy wrote great songs yet couldn't keep it up...why couldn't they if just writing popular hits is so fucking easy? Because it's not.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 9:09:18 PM EDT
[#42]
... Just now got home from their great concert in Phoenix.

... Very skilled band. I was impressed with each band member's extraordinary talent. Lead singer is a cross between Getty Lee and Ronnie James Dio.

... Similarly as mentioned earlier, these folks aren't really my bag of tea, but they sure have garnered a new-found respect from me.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:39:21 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
... Just now got home from their great concert in Phoenix.

... Very skilled band. I was impressed with each band member's extraordinary talent. Lead singer is a cross between Getty Lee and Ronnie James Dio.

... Similarly as mentioned earlier, these folks aren't really my bag of tea, but they sure have garnered a new-found respect from me.

This is where I display me jealousy.  I'd have to drive to Shitcago to see 'em this time around.  
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:10:02 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

LISTEN TO THIS MAN!!!

Just got Octivarium and WOW it is a GREAT FRIGGIN ALBUM!!!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 12:13:18 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
You prog rock guys need to listen to Rhapsody.

video:
RHAPSODY- Holy Thunderforce

another video, featuring Christopher Lee
www.spv.de/ra/Rhapsodyvideo.ram

Rhapsody is incredibly gay.  I laughed for eighteen hours striaght after first seeing the video with Christoper Lee.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:02:48 AM EDT
[#46]
Saw them in concert when I was in college, 92 or 93 maybe? Pretty cool stuff.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:12:13 AM EDT
[#47]
I saw them last on their "scenes" tour.  Had great "seats"  

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:42:40 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Plus LTE has Tony Levin.

Never heard of it.  I'm into metal (melodic death and progressive), and have just recently begun to venture into progressive rock.

ETA:  Sounds sort of like Dream Theater without the vocals.  I understand now.

If you want to venture into prog a bit w/out sacrificing the hard and the heavy try: Isis, 5ive,
Pelican,  Neurosis or Eyes of Fire.  
Something with clean vocals and lots of melody try: Kings X

IMHO at times Dream Theater forgets to just plain ROCK!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top