Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/21/2006 1:33:31 PM EDT
prob du jour:

AMD 1200 processor
unknown mobo w/ Via 400 chipset
XP home
voltage all shows normal.

Sandra software showed a CPU temp of 170F.......

box was locking up... CPU heat sink was very warm to the touch.

put large floor fan to blow into open case....CPU temp doesn't drop....

put two other mobo monitoring programs on box.......
temp now varies between 17C and C - no f'ing way!!!!!

box is currently running Prime 95, and also running a DVD/movie and the temp sensing still bounces around......17C then 35C then to 55C all within 20 seconds, then will drop to a reported 17C again- while the CPU is pegged at 100%9and with side of case closed.)

any ideas???

I can't swap out any hardware to test.

hard drive temp @ 31-35C seems to be accurate.. but CPU temp is all over the place with any seeming rhyme nor reason. ( and the box isn't locking up under a heavy strain.)

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:35:35 PM EDT
what temp does it say in the bios. also check to see what rpm speed the fan is at.

has anyone taken the heatsink off??
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:36:45 PM EDT
make sure FSB in BIOS is not overclocked for your processor.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:43:46 PM EDT
get a better heat sink, and a fan that spins faster. The more heat you can move away from the processor, the better it'll run.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:48:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Freakinout:
get a better heat sink, and a fan that spins faster. The more heat you can move away from the processor, the better it'll run.

Also Get some Artic Silver 5, it will help aid in better heat flow from the CPU to the Heat Sink and should drop your temp even more.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:49:07 PM EDT
BIOS only reports a "system" temp of 30C

I didn't remove the heatsink because it's an AMD and it doesn't seem to be overheating anymore.....

I reset the all BIOS info in the beginning

my main Q now is- why the big variety in temp reads.... from 29 to 45, and then from 45 to 25, all withing 20-30 seconds.

(it's an syntax mobo BTW)
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:50:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By eodtech2000:

Also Get some Artic Silver 5, it will help aid in better heat flow from the CPU to the Heat Sink and should drop your temp even more.

IIRC AMD says thermal paste is verboten / voids the warranty.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:50:33 PM EDT
the heatsink that came from AMD? If so then thats the problem. Those are cheapo.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:52:21 PM EDT
no not use software to figure out what your CPU temp is. use the bios. as you can tell they are not accurate. USE THE BIOS to tell what the CPU temp..... not the system temp. thats not as important

the reason iasked if the heatsink was taken off is. alot of people put the heatsink on backwards. and end up frying the chip..
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:54:07 PM EDT

Ditto. My 1.2 GHz Intel Dell laptop had a heat problem that was solved using Artic Silver 5. It had thermal conductive tape which didn't hold up.

Read and follow the instructions to the T.

Also look at your processor load. Running FEA on mine really heats things up as processor is loaded 100% for hours on end. It is quite the room heater.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:57:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Only_Hits_Count:

IIRC AMD says thermal paste is verboten / voids the warranty.

As long as you use it sparingly, you will have no problems with Artic Silver. Follow the directions and you will be just fine.

AMD has to say that to protect themselves from the many idiots who don't follow directions and lack common sense.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:59:15 PM EDT
heat sink is aftermarket cheapie

the 'system temp' is the ONLY reading the BIOS will give me.

I'm trying to figure out what would cause the wild fluctuations in reported CPU temp.......

I put the side panel back on the case and pegged the CPU at 100% and it didn't change the reported temp, nor did the machine lock up....

I'm confusicated.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:01:53 PM EDT
Most likely reading the wrong sensor.

Find out what motherboard you have and download Motherboard Monitor.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:02:16 PM EDT
dust on your heatsink/fan? Canned air every few weeks will keep temps low.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:10:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Janus:
Most likely reading the wrong sensor.

Find out what motherboard you have and download Motherboard Monitor.

Mobo monitor is INTEL, the board is AMD ( i tried it anyway)

I have 2 different monitoring programs running now.

1 bounces from 29C to 44C back to 29 in 5 seconds ( under 100% CPU load)

the second one is staying at 27-29C (under 100% CPU load), but will pop up to 42C on occasion.

Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:16:01 PM EDT

the second one is staying at 27-29C (under 100% CPU load), but will pop up to 42C on occasion.

mbm.livewiredev.com/
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:34:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Janus:

mbm.livewiredev.com/

aha!!! that's the Mobo program I used to use......

unfortunately, it just locked this box up bigger'n shit.

I'm gonna call it a flaky mobo and as long as it stays up, we'll leave it alone.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:51:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/21/2006 2:53:14 PM EDT by LVMIKE]
The older socket A heat sensors weren't particularly accurate, they could be upto +/- 10C due to them not actually touching the core. Most of the time people who actually needed to know the core temperature used an external diode to read it rather then the built in one in the center of the socket.

By what you posted, your chip is a 1200mhz original Athlon, correct?... If so, those chips just ran hot period. I had a 1300 a long time ago and despite having a top uality heatsink and 8 case fans, I wasn't comfortable with the chip running 55-60C load. The 1200 I traded to wasn't much better. It ran about 55C load consistantly and when idle went WAY down in temp, using resting idle about 6-8 degrees above ambient temp. This whole situation could be made worse if someone decided to overclock it for you.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 2:55:16 PM EDT
The box wouldn't POST when I got here.

Now I can run it and surf the web and run prime 95 on it (with CPU @ 100%), so I'm calling it done.

The problem I was having was the weird jumps in the temp readings 28...45...22 etc.
Top Top