Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/15/2006 8:07:45 AM EDT
Iam starting to look into getting satellite internet equipment and service. My local DSL service sucks. I'm in between routers and too far away for reliable service.
Specifically looking for companys and service that people are happy with, as well as those to stay away from.
I'm under the impression that you have to buy the equipment, then pay for monthly service. How expensive is it to buy and what do the monthly bills amount to? Is the speed fast and reliable, similar to high speed DSL? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
I am doing searches trying to find info on brands and companys, but would like input from ARFCOMMERS. Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:09:19 AM EDT
hopefully you don't use it for online games. Latency will kill you.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:12:47 AM EDT
No on-line games. Mostly staying informed on AR15.com and surfing the Industrys Web sites.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:17:04 AM EDT
Reliability is hit and miss (anecdotal evidence only), YMMV. Latency is high - like 700+ ms. Forget using it for VoIP and VPN connectivity is out. Most providers have fairly restrictive fair use policies. I.e., it isn't really unlimited, and if you enjoy p2p services they'll severely restrict your bandwidth until the end of the month. A non-p2p power user could easily hit FAP limits.

It beats dialup, and I may have to look at it again, since I live in a remote area. The one and only wireless ISP capable of providing me service is failing miserably at it (75% packet loss as I type this). At this point, I'd be better off with the latency.

Check out broadbandreports.com, and read the sattelite forums.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:17:08 AM EDT
way over priced. When I looked into it a couple of years ago it was like over $500.00
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:17:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/15/2006 8:21:15 AM EDT by SkyCatII]
Satellite internet sucks. Period. I would give anything to be on DSL, even unreliable DSL. While the numbers are good, actual performance is less than stellar. If you get DirecWay they also have something called the "F.A.P." or Fair Access Policy. What the FAP means is that after you have downloaded so much in a day, they drop your connection speed. I think that you are limited to approx. 170mb/day, if you exceed that, your connection speed is dropped to <1kbps.

ETA: Satellite upload speeds are horrid too, far slower than download speeds.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:18:12 AM EDT
Tag for addtl info. Miles from a cable drop, no hope of DSL, dial-up at 24k-36k. I have the need for speed.

Anyone know anything about the oneway satellite downlink services, Dish Network had something at one time, still used dialup for up-link but down was from the Dish. Help!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:19:59 AM EDT
My dad uses it to teach online classes from his cabin in Montana. He hasn't really had any complaints about it,

He does a lot of web access, chat and even online poker over the connection w/o any problems.

I can't comment on the access policy, I have never heard about that.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:36:57 AM EDT
Thanks for all the input. Most posts so far aren't very encouraging. I will keep researching it and read updates on this thread as well as post any new info I find.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:46:55 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:54:30 AM EDT
Thanks for the info Troy.

I checked into DriectWay several years ago and decided I could live without it. The equipment was expensive and service was reported to be spotty at best.

I've got broadband here at the office, but live 20 miles west of town. Great place to live, not so great for internet service.

Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:07:26 AM EDT
Troy, Thanks for the input. I'm not sure what FAP is. Could you explain it. Also P2P, VPN and VOIP.
Would i be able to view and send pics to and from AR15.com? Thanks Troy.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:09:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By bbkiote:
Troy, Thanks for the input. I'm not sure what FAP is. Could you explain it. Also P2P, VPN and VOIP.

FAP = Fair Access Policy. You use too much bandwidth, they throttle back the speeds you can surf and download at.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:28:36 AM EDT

Originally Posted By roboman:

Originally Posted By bbkiote:

FAP = Fair Access Policy. You use too much bandwidth, they throttle back the speeds you can surf and download at.

If it were up to me, that would be illegal. If I pay for a service that offers me say... 768K downlad speeds I want that all day and night, just because I surf alot and maybe download some music or videos does not give them the right to limit my speed. You think the CEO of DirectWay has a FAP? I seriously doubt it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:39:34 AM EDT
The two satellite tv providers have announced a joint agreement to provide much better on line service to compete with cable and DSL lines. Have realized they are losing customers due to bundling of services. Murdoch usually does what he says he will do. Improvements coming to compete
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 11:22:42 AM EDT

You think the CEO of DirectWay has a FAP? I seriously doubt it.

I would be extrmely surprised if the CEO of DirecWay evens uses DirecWay
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:12:23 PM EDT
Actually, dont go with DirectWay, go with a newer provider called Wild Blue. Check up on their website, they are using a different satellite frequency band and monthly subscription starts at $50. Hardware costs ~$300 and has to be professionally installed as per the FCC. It works on Ka-band satellite Anik F2 at 111.1 degrees west longitude. If you have any questions IM me, I don't work for the company but I've done work in Ka-Band and had to work with similar Very Small Aperature Terminals (VSAT).
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:18:59 PM EDT
tag for info.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 12:58:34 PM EDT

Inappropriate Content and Transmissions
WildBlue reserves the right, but not the obligation, to refuse to transmit or post and to remove or block any information or materials, in whole or in part, that it, in its sole discretion, deems to be offensive, indecent, or otherwise inappropriate, regardless of whether this material or its dissemination is unlawful. Neither WildBlue nor any of its affiliates, suppliers, or agents have any obligation to monitor transmissions or postings (including, but not limited to, e-mail, newsgroup, and instant message transmissions as well as materials available on the Personal Web Pages and Online Storage features) made on the Service. However, WildBlue and its affiliates, suppliers, and agents have the right to monitor these transmissions and postings from time to time for violations of this Policy and to disclose, block, or remove them in accordance with the Subscriber Agreement and any other applicable agreements and policies.

Does diectwav do that?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:53:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/15/2006 3:00:24 PM EDT by Troy]
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:55:15 PM EDT
It sucks. I used to work for them, wouldnt have it for free.

and I could have
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 5:22:18 PM EDT
Thanks again for all the info, Troy. You've made it a lot more understandable.
Top Top