Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/14/2006 2:28:44 PM EDT
I am in the market for a handgun. I am looking at the Taurus PT92. Is is as good as a Berreta 92fs. I was also looking at a glock 17. What does ARFCOM think?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:30:54 PM EDT
for taurus I trust their revolvers, but tend to shy away from their auto's. For a handgun just get a Glock 19.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:31:27 PM EDT
At a minimum, the Taurus doesn't kaboom
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:32:39 PM EDT
I had both a PT-92 and a 92FS and sold the 92FS. I much prefer the trigger/safety design of the Taurus and I use it as a cocked and locked pistol with double strike capability. I also refer the grip frame of the PT92 as it does not have the flared bottom. Both pistols functioned flawlessly and there was no difference in accuracy.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:33:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 2:34:27 PM EDT by Mr-H]
I've owned both a PT-92 and a 92FS as well. The newer Tauruses are just as good as the Beretta.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:37:09 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mr-H:
I've owned both a PT-92 and a 92FS as well. The newer Tauruses are just as good as the Beretta.

+ they have a life time warenty....
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:37:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 2:37:57 PM EDT by markl32]
I have both a Taurus PT-92 and a Glock 17. They are both fine guns. The Glock gets taken out a lot. The Taurus has not been fired in about 7 years.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:38:00 PM EDT
My dad has a PT92 and I have a Beretta.I think they are on par.

I also have a Taurus 85 I've had almost 20 yrs with the only problem being a broken firing pin from dry-firing.Called them up and they sent me two at no charge (wanted a spare) and I even told them I bought the gun used.

I have a Glock 23 and find I point hi with it.

Buy the Taurus.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:39:26 PM EDT
I have a PT-92 too. They are nice, as stated the safeties are in a better location than the Beretta and you can carry it cocked and locked for single action firing.

They make the barstow barrel with a bushing for it and threaded barrels for it. They are nice and a good value.

I saw some at a gunshow a while back that had a built in rail.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:39:50 PM EDT
I have owned several Taurus handguns. They have all been of excellent quality.

They also have an excellent guarantee.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:40:50 PM EDT
I owned a 92 several years back. One of the best guns I ever owned...never jammed once...was completely reliable, and one can be had for a lot less money than the other big brand names. There are a lot of folks here that will shit on Taurus but for a good shooter, I cant say a bad thing about the 92. Its a proven model and I vote to buy one.

I only got rid of mine as a favor to a friend who was looking to buy his first gun and he liked it my 92 so much that I decided to sell it to him...introduced another good man to gun ownership and still managed to keep my Taurus in the family because I can still shoot it any time I want.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:42:00 PM EDT
I've fired both, since the Taruas was made on Beretta designed and supplied machinary, to is just as good as the equivalent Berettas, but without the price. Some of the Taraus PT92 internal part are also interchangeable with the 92FS.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:42:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Ring:

Ah, yes! This is what sold me on my first one. I never had to take Taurus up on it though.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:44:12 PM EDT

Ah, yes! This is what sold me on my first one. I never had to take Taurus up on it though.

I made up for you then, 4 Taurus handuns, 3 w/ multiple trips to the factory!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:45:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 2:46:17 PM EDT by Mr-H]

Originally Posted By GUNGUY1911:

I made up for you then, 4 Taurus handuns, 3 w/ multiple trips to the factory!

I'm sorry to hear that.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:46:28 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ffsparky26:
I have a PT-92 too. They are nice, as stated the safeties are in a better location than the Beretta and you can carry it cocked and locked for single action firing.

They make the barstow barrel with a bushing for it and threaded barrels for it. They are nice and a good value.

For lefties, which is better?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:46:32 PM EDT
I fired both a beretta and taurus when deciding what gun to get. I shelled out the extra $200 for the beretta for a few reasons:

1. Tough to describe, but the beretta just feels better
2. I didnt like the trigger on the taurus as opposed to the beretta
3. I can go to the armorer on base and get my pistol serviced if needed (parts comonality)
4. Made in USA

My buddy also has a taurus 24/7, which is often compared to glocks. The thing is absolute TRASH. The trigger is mushy and creepy. It has about a 4% FTFire rate, usually caused by feed issues, but sometimes the striker just doesnt hit the primer hard enough.

I would not wish a taurus on someone who was robbing me!
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:49:45 PM EDT
When I turned 21 (about 18 years ago) I rushed out and bought a PT-99AF. I’ve carried that pistol a lot and it’s held up very well. The blued finish is still shiny and nothing has ever broken on it. It’s proven to be very reliable and accurate with the adjustable sights.

All and all I’m very pleased.

My version doesn’t have a decocker like the newer ones do. IMO all auto pistols need frame mounted thumb safeties like the 1911 and Taurus pistols have; maybe it’s just a personal thing but that’s a big selling point for me. If I needed another full sized 9mm I would start looking for another Taurus.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 2:53:45 PM EDT
go to the OK forum and ask acman45acp about how he likes taurus, his latest one spits lead into your face when you shoot it, he's had problems with every taurus he ever bought.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:01:59 PM EDT

Originally Posted By snipAR_15:

With good mags I have had no FTF. Now with cheap promags I have had a shit ton of FTF, mostly caused by the feed lips of the mags.

The safty on the PT-92 is ambideterious and you can move the mag catch from left to right too.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:06:11 PM EDT

The safty on the PT-92 is ambideterious and you can move the mag catch from left to right too.

the safety on the beretta is ambi as well, and the mag catch can be swapped in 2 minutes with nothing but an alan key to take the grips off.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:07:01 PM EDT

Originally Posted By snipAR_15:

Taurus makes great guns at a great price. The warranty is the best in the business. I am a lefty and had absolutely no issues with my taurus, I just wanted something different, so I got rid of it. If you are on a budget, I believe the taurus is your best bang for your buck
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:07:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 3:14:57 PM EDT by ALPHAGHOST]
i hear too much so-so reports on tarus....i'd opt for the beretta or the glock

or a ruger
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:11:23 PM EDT
I had a Taurus PT-99. It was identical to the Beretta 92-F except for the safety - no decocking lever and it didn't seem as secure (but who needs that stuff anyway). It functioned fine.

I'd still have it today, but I couldn't bring it back to NY with me because I didn't have a permit at the time.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:15:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ALPHAGHOST:
i hear too much so-so reports on tarus....i'd opt for the beretta or the glock

or a ruger

what about an xd?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:23:21 PM EDT
I bought a Taurus PT-92 AR about four months ago. Almost 2000 rounds through it, and not a single malfuntion. I like it. Only shot a Beretta once, it shot well also.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:32:03 PM EDT

taurus's 24/7 model got good reviews too.

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:37:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 3:37:38 PM EDT by Mr-H]

Originally Posted By five2one:

taurus's 24/7 model got good reviews too.

Wasn't it G&A's Hangun of the Year last year (or maybe the year before)?
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 3:41:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Mmanwitgun:
for taurus I trust their revolvers, but tend to shy away from their auto's. For a handgun just get a Glock 19.

+1

The only Auto I like is the new 24/7 and thats because they have changed tons of stuff that has sucked about its trigger pull with the Autos. You will seea Taurus new at the time its released by Taurus go for lots of money, then see them sold used in months for next to nothing because they suck.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 4:44:58 PM EDT
I just bought a T PT92 AR SS last weekend, I put 100 rounds of WWB through it on sunday without a single glitch, shot very accurately out of the box. On the paper every time after I got used to it at 25yards.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:31:02 PM EDT
I've owned a Taurus PT 92 for around a decade.

I've shot at least 3,000 rounds through mine.

I have never had a jam or malfunction of any kind.

I practice at 25 yards ,shooting at a paper plate
with a 2"x2" piece of duct tape in the middle,
fast firing from a free stand position.

I get all 15 rounds in the plate ,and usually at least 5
in the tape.
With cheap 115 grain hollow points,WWBs.

That's good enough for me.

It's a dependable lead slinger.
If you want a sniper rifle,get a sniper rifle instead of
a side arm.

Buy it.Shoot it ,a lot.

The trigger is a little heavy as compared to some pistols.
Don't get the cheap mags ,and I recommend changing the stock
grips to Hogue grips.
The stock grips get slick with sweat .

These pistols are a great value.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:33:59 PM EDT
My Taurus PT 92 shoots fine, but my pa-in-law tried to shoot it left handed and kept ejecting the mag. Something to consider.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:36:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/14/2006 5:38:36 PM EDT by CasualObserver]
I have a PT-99AF that I shoot IDPA with on occasion. As long as I use good mags it runs like a top. Shoots as well as any Beretta I've ever fired. That said, I've never owned a Beretta, only shot other peoples, so I don't have that much experience upon which to draw.

CO

ETA: Whatever you do, stay away from Ram-Line mags at all cost.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:41:36 PM EDT
I owned two Taurus revolvers. Both required warranty repair and i was glad when i sold them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:43:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 5:43:29 PM EDT
I like my PT92.

Max
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 6:36:08 PM EDT
cool
Link Posted: 2/14/2006 8:32:10 PM EDT

<spelling nazi> Shouldn't that be Tauri? <spelling nazi>

Link Posted: 2/14/2006 10:12:58 PM EDT
Top Top