Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2006 7:09:42 AM EDT
I rented the special edition of Aliens, the one with all the deleted scenes. Another CD was included with actor interviews ect... Miss Sigourney Weaver apparently hates guns and gives money for gun control. She went on with the usual BS about how morally difficult it was for her to handle the guns. I guess the millions she made somewhat tempered her discomfort

Bill Paxton on the other hand said he had fun with the guns since he was brought up in Texas(God bless Texas) and enjoyed shooting shotguns while growing up.

It was claimed in the CD's that special military advisors were brought in to insure a realistic military looking movie, yet Lt Gorman's bar on his cap was placed sideways(how could they have missed that?) And do you think that Marines fighting inside a building would've employed such large bulky rifles like Valdez and Drake?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:12:04 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

And do you think that Marines fighting inside a building would've employed such large bulky rifles like Valdez and Drake?

I always wondered why in the part where they first land on the planet and go into the building for the first time they put Vasquez on point with that GIANT gun.

BTW: The guns V and D (heh) had were made from MG42's and Yamaha motorcycle parts.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:23:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe the rank insigina for the LT got rotated somewhere along the years between now and the future. US Army sergeant's ranks haven't always pointed up.

NTM
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:26:37 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Maybe the rank insigina for the LT got rotated somewhere along the years between now and the future. US Army sergeant's ranks haven't always pointed up.

NTM

perhaps, but I've also noticed the same thing on movies which take place in the present.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:27:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I rented the special edition of Aliens, the one with all the deleted scenes. Another CD was included with actor interviews ect... Miss Sigourney Weaver apparently hates guns and gives money for gun control. She went on with the usual BS about how morally difficult it was for her to handle the guns. I guess the millions she made somewhat tempered her discomfort

There is no limit to Hollyweird's hypocrisy.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:28:08 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

NTM

When I saw the movie, that was how I envisioned the rank. THey just changed teh way it was worn for "futeristic) look.
Doesn't suprise me about Weaver. Along with Danny Glover,Sean Penn,Sylvester Stalone and many many others who have used guns in thier acting to make a lot of money but yet think it's not ok for regular people to own and use them.
Damn people!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:52:47 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

And now you know why the third movie sucked goat ass (complete lack of all the icky guns).
And then Ms Weaver, being completly willing to sacrifice/whore her "morals" for getting some mo scratch, let guns back in to the last Alien movie.  While not on par with the first or second, it beat the hell out of the third.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 7:53:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NTM

When I saw the movie, that was how I envisioned the rank. THey just changed teh way it was worn for "futeristic) look.
Doesn't suprise me about Weaver. Along with Danny Glover,Sean Penn,Sylvester Stalone and many many others who have used guns in thier acting to make a lot of money but yet think it's not ok for regular people to own and use them.
Damn people!

You make a good point, however given that the military is so image concious, it seems unlikely that they would take an upright standing symbol(the Lt's bar) and lay it sideways(looks too much like a dead solider)

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:00:40 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Bill Paxton on the other hand said he had fun with the guns since he was brought up in Texas(God bless Texas) and enjoyed shooting shotguns while growing up.

It was claimed in the CD's that special military advisors were brought in to insure a realistic military looking movie, yet Lt Gorman's bar on his cap was placed sideways(how could they have missed that?) And do you think that Marines fighting inside a building would've employed such large bulky rifles like Valdez and Drake?

On the commentary, I believe Cameron apologizes for letting Hick's outburst at Lt. Gorman being unpunished, as a poor reflection on the Corps.

Also, Al Matthews, the Master Sergeant, was in real life the first black Marine to be get a field promotion to Sergeant during Vietnam.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:06:30 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

On the commentary, I believe Cameron apologizes for letting Hick's outburst at Lt. Gorman being unpunished, as a poor reflection on the Corps.

...I think that was Hudson(the Bill Paxton character, btw Hicks(Bill Biehm and Paxton reunite in Tombstone, Bill Biehm played Johnny Ringo)

Also, Al Matthews, the Master Sergeant, was in real life the first black Marine to be get a field promotion to Sergeant during Vietnam.

One of the things which bothered me about the series is the Ripley's hysterical nature. As if we've never encountered anything which kills people, how many people have been killed by lions or other wild animals? If we are to venture into space we will need to understand that we may encounter hostile life forms. If we are not willing to accept some deaths then let's stay on Earth where it's relatively safe.

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:09:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Her hysteria is over the "evil corporation" implating people with the parasite.

The xenophobia is a bit over the top, but they did construct the Alien as the "perfect fighter"
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:22:45 AM EDT
[#11]

One of the things which bothered me about the series is the Ripley's hysterical nature. As if we've never encountered anything which kills people, how many people have been killed by lions or other wild animals? If we are to venture into space we will need to understand that we may encounter hostile life forms. If we are not willing to accept some deaths then let's stay on Earth where it's relatively safe.

dont know about you but if i ran into a critter that started out looking like a large spider that liked to jump on my face and down my throat, burst outa a freinds tummy and went squealing and spraying acid allover the place, later to turn into a large thing with lots of extra mouths and chrome teeth i would get histerical too. and would try to stay on earth to avoid such beasts..
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:27:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

The xenophobia is a bit over the top, but they did construct the Alien as the "perfect fighter"

Predator still kicked its ass.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:29:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Those large bulky guns were smart rifles. I have no idea what makes them smart, but in the video games, they would automatically target enemies. So I'm guessing that the cartridges are smart and can direct their trajectory towards enemy targets. So think of them like M-249 SAWs with auto targeting. It would lay down some impressive and reliable suppressive fire if the need to evac ever arose (they would be in the front initially, and then taking up the rear).

What about the pulse rifles that held 99 bullets? Was it firing .17 or .22 LR in order to hold 99 rounds in such a small "clip" ?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:29:58 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
dont know about you but if i ran into a critter that started out looking like a large spider that liked to jump on my face and down my throat, burst out a a freinds tummy and went squealing and spraying acid allover the place, later to turn into a large thing with lots of extra mouths and chrome teeth i would get histerical too. and would try to stay on earth to avoid such beasts..

Except that they'll wind up ( or start out, depending on how you want to view the chronology of the franchise ) coming to Earth along with some nasty Predator types, so "hiding" here wont do any good.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:31:01 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

dont know about you but if i ran into a critter that started out looking like a large spider that liked to jump on my face and down my throat, burst outa a freinds tummy and went squealing and spraying acid allover the place, later to turn into a large thing with lots of extra mouths and chrome teeth i would get histerical too. and would try to stay on earth to avoid such beasts..

That's why you "nuke it from orbit, it's the only way to be sure!"
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:37:27 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

+1

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 8:49:45 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Those large bulky guns were smart rifles. I have no idea what makes them smart, but in the video games, they would automatically target enemies. So I'm guessing that the cartridges are smart and can direct their trajectory towards enemy targets. So think of them like M-249 SAWs with auto targeting. It would lay down some impressive and reliable suppressive fire if the need to evac ever arose (they would be in the front initially, and then taking up the rear).

What about the pulse rifles that held 99 bullets? Was it firing .17 or .22 LR in order to hold 99 rounds in such a small "clip" ?

Held 99 "rounds"
10mm caseless IIRC
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:20:35 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

"small clip"? Looks pretty farking big to me...

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

10mm caseless according to the movie dialogue. Magazine was fairly lengthy too; if it was single-stack I'd say it held about thirty rounds. It was obviously double-stack though, and the gun was a Thompson SMG, so figure out how many rounds of .45ACP blanks the mags held.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:28:41 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

"small clip"? Looks pretty farking big to me...

i11.photobucket.com/albums/a197/AyeGuy/pulserifle.jpg

Not big enough to hold 99x 10mm caseless cartridges.

PS the games called it a clip, I know its an external box magazine.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:29:11 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
["small clip"? Looks pretty farking big to me...

i11.photobucket.com/albums/a197/AyeGuy/pulserifle.jpg

Thats about the size of a current 30 round mag. Most of what you are looking at appears to be a shroud around the grenade launcher portion of the weapon.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:32:48 AM EDT
[#22]
Have you ever seen the Beretta "Spectre" magaine? It's a quadruple stack box magazine.

Forget about the "clip" shown in the movie. It was just a prop. The M4A1 pulse rifle holds 100 rounds of caseless 10mm, period.

But did they ever say what the grenade capacity was?
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:43:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Sigourney Weaver can suck an egg. Jim Cameron may not speak out on it but he's a progun guy.

I read an interview with Michael Biehn from around when the movie came out and he related how, when he was casting Aliens, Cameron had invited him over to his house to shoot machine guns in his backyard and talk about the new movie he wanted to do.

I hope Cameron comes back and directs movies soon.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:52:35 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

And now you know why the third movie sucked goat ass (complete lack of all the icky guns).
And then Ms Weaver, being completly willing to sacrifice/whore her "morals" for getting some mo scratch, let guns back in to the last Alien movie.  While not on par with the first or second, it beat the hell out of the third.

Actually, the uncut version is much better than the theatrical release.1
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 9:53:27 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

AVPVT

The Thing would kick both of their asses!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

AVPVT

The Thing would kick both of their asses!

If T stands for Steven Seagal, Chuck Norris, and Jack Bauer, I would agree
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:07:47 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Actually, the uncut version is much better than the theatrical release.1

Are you referring to the third movie?  It could only get better, because it was already at the bottom of That Which Sux.  I've seen the uncut versions of the first and second, and those were good.  Of all of them, Aliens was probably the one I liked the best, closely followed by Alien.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:13:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Somewhere out there, there is either a law or a recommendation that movie costume portrayals of military uniforms must be inaccurate in some way. That may explain the rank on the hat thing.

And Miss Weaver may be a libartard, but she has a nice rack. Anyone see "Galaxy Quest?"
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:21:13 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

And Miss Weaver may be a libartard, but she has a nice rack. Anyone see "Galaxy Quest?"

She must of had some "help" or gained some weight because in the first movie "Alien" she was running around the ship in the T-Shirt with little banana titties and big nips..She could have put an Alien's eye out with those things
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 11:33:56 AM EDT
[#30]
Aliens is one of my favorite movies. I have watched it a million times, and it doesnt get old.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:27:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Um...

Who in their demented minds could think "Alien 4" was even decent?  I actually thought it was worse than #3.  Some memorable story points to review:

* wild-Wild West-style from-the-sleeve supersoaker handguns that the dude fires at his target via ricochet.  Way too slick (emphasis intended).

* Ridiculous dialog, full of more 4-letters than a discourse among drunken sailors.  Works when portrayed in proper context, but usually indicative of a poor storyling &/or dialog writing when taken to excess.

* Over-the-top gross-out factor  - so much goo it isn't remotely shocking.  I'm getting the impression that Whitley Streeber &/or H.R. Geiger (creator of the 'Alien' character ) are obsessed w/ gynecology issues.  Not going there.

* Everyone "tries" to be tough - & fails.

* Wynona Ryder?

* Ron "The Beast" Perlman?

* Bad characters, bad story, bad acting, bad idea.

I read reports that Fox production had a lot of trouble trying to figure out where to take the story, which isn't surprising, conisidering its rather simple premise.  Apparently, production on #3 involved multilpe re-writes & was running over-budget, so they hacked a story & shoved it out the door.  Might've been worth exploring a story around the original derilect craft in relation to the Alien hive, etc.  But no, we get #4 instead.

It had a bigger budget, but they still managed to make an even worse, ridiculous story - guns or not.  Killing off Hicks was foolish.  Michael Biehn's character had potential.  But, we get 'hybrid' Ripley instead, walking around w/o fear, "trying" to be tought/cool, & looking like a fool in the portrayal.  There wasn't anything good about #4, & the presence of guns doesn't save it.  In fact, the guns in quesitnoed looked like stupid hack-O-matic toss-offs rejected from a super-soaker plant in Mexico.  At least #3 had a "sort of" continuity.  Yes, it was bad - they could've at least saved Hicks & let Ripley buy it, then carry on the series w/ him instead.  I'll never understand why anyone think this Joss Wheadon is some fantastic writer.  He wrote the series into its grave w/ #4.  After that, I didn't care to throw down for "AvP", but it sounds like a "Living Dead" incarnation attempt on the series.

#3 & #4: Two fuckin' thumbs down!

Get the director's cut of #1 & #2, & forget about the rest.  Hack jobs don't count.

Rant off.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:44:44 PM EDT
[#32]
in Alien 4, they ran out of money for special effects at the end so they just drew it in with crayons and pencils... I SHIT YOU NOT look at the FX towards the end.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Um...

Who in their demented minds could think "Alien 4" was even decent?  I actually thought it was worse than #3.  Some memorable story points to review:

* wild-Wild West-style from-the-sleeve supersoaker handguns that the dude fires at his target via ricochet.  Way too slick (emphasis intended).

* Ridiculous dialog, full of more 4-letters than a discourse among drunken sailors.  Works when portrayed in proper context, but usually indicative of a poor storyling &/or dialog writing when taken to excess.

* Over-the-top gross-out factor  - so much goo it isn't remotely shocking.  I'm getting the impression that Whitley Streeber &/or H.R. Geiger (creator of the 'Alien' character ) are obsessed w/ gynecology issues.  Not going there.

* Everyone "tries" to be tough - & fails.

* Wynona Ryder?

* Ron "The Beast" Perlman?

* Bad characters, bad story, bad acting, bad idea.

I read reports that Fox production had a lot of trouble trying to figure out where to take the story, which isn't surprising, conisidering its rather simple premise.  Apparently, production on #3 involved multilpe re-writes & was running over-budget, so they hacked a story & shoved it out the door.  Might've been worth exploring a story around the original derilect craft in relation to the Alien hive, etc.  But no, we get #4 instead.

It had a bigger budget, but they still managed to make an even worse, ridiculous story - guns or not.  Killing off Hicks was foolish.  Michael Biehn's character had potential.  But, we get 'hybrid' Ripley instead, walking around w/o fear, "trying" to be tought/cool, & looking like a fool in the portrayal.  There wasn't anything good about #4, & the presence of guns doesn't save it.  In fact, the guns in quesitnoed looked like stupid hack-O-matic toss-offs rejected from a super-soaker plant in Mexico.  At least #3 had a "sort of" continuity.  Yes, it was bad - they could've at least saved Hicks & let Ripley buy it, then carry on the series w/ him instead.  I'll never understand why anyone think this Joss Wheadon is some fantastic writer.  He wrote the series into its grave w/ #4.  After that, I didn't care to throw down for "AvP", but it sounds like a "Living Dead" incarnation attempt on the series.

#3 & #4: Two fuckin' thumbs down!

Get the director's cut of #1 & #2, & forget about the rest.  Hack jobs don't count.

Rant off.

Yeah, but it had that hot pilot chick....MAN WHAT AN ASS!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:49:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Alien and Aliens are among the few truly scary movies.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:52:50 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
...I think that was Hudson(the Bill Paxton character, btw Hicks(Bill Biehm and Paxton reunite in Tombstone, Bill Biehm played Johnny Ringo)

Uh, that would be MICHAEL BiehN.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 12:54:47 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:23:42 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

She must of had some "help" or gained some weight because in the first movie "Alien" she was running around the ship in the T-Shirt with little banana titties and big nips..She could have put an Alien's eye out with those things

Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NTM

perhaps, but I've also noticed the same thing on movies which take place in the present.

Kinda like in Basic one scene with Samuel Jackson wearing "specialist" rank.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

When I saw Aliens for the first time, I was on the edge of my seat the whole time.  It's a great flick.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:47:02 PM EDT
[#40]
Sigourney Weaver is nude in http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0160513/

A map of the world, use Google Image search
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:01:51 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Um...

Big +1 on almost all of it.  It amazes me that Joss Whedon, who wrote that steaming pile, also wrote some of the greatest scifi of all time (Damn right I put Firefly/Serenity near the top of the science fiction heap).
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:02:54 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Somewhere out there, there is either a law or a recommendation that movie costume portrayals of military uniforms must be inaccurate in some way. That may explain the rank on the hat thing.

Yep. She looked good in that one, but if you really want to see her, rent  "Half Moon Street" , she was naked in about 50% of the whole movie !

Details here
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Alien is the only movie that ever creeped me out. Aliens was never scary, but it was darn exciting. I wanted to BE with those marines and blasting those acid-spewing bastards right alongside them!

Haven't seen Alien 3. Saw Alien 4, wasn't overly impressed by any of it but the explosive decompression scene was pretty cool.

I just have some complaints about the serious STUPIDITY of the marines in Aliens:

1) You come with only half a platoon of troops, with the other half sent to another ship for its shakedown cruise when you KNOW you're dealing with a potentially serious threat that wiped out an entire colony?

2) The robot- sorry, synthetic person had to remote-pilot the other dropship because there was nobody on board to do it manually. WTF kind of planning is that? You leave NO ONE on board your military vessel when the ground-pounders are doing their job? Where's the dedicated crew? Where's the fricking NAVY?!?!

3) Hey boneheads, fusion reactors don't work that way. And making all your troops disarm on the off-chance that you hit something important inside the reactor is pretty fricking stupid. It's even worse when you put all the ammo in one guy's gear. Now when the shit hits the fan and he bites it, you're screwed. Oh wait- that's exactly what happened. You'd have been boned if your machine-gunners hadn't disobeyed orders and kept spare ammo and another marine had a shotgun handy. As it is, 60% losses in five minutes of combat with unarmed opponents is pretty bad.

4) Repeat after me: JUDICIOUS USE OF HIGH EXPLOSIVES.

Other than the repeated instances of gross stupidity and poor planning on the part of the marines, the movie is fricking awesome.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I'm getting the impression that Whitley Streeber &/or H.R. Geiger (creator of the 'Alien' character ) are obsessed w/ gynecology issues.  Not going there.

Uh, duh.

The whole imagery of Alien and Aliens is deeply rooted in sexuality.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top