Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/8/2006 2:27:09 PM EDT
Why is it so difficult to buy the necessary accessories for a gun in a gun shop??? I know of AT LEAST half a dozen gun shops where you can buy a $700-$1200 HK, Sig, or Kimber, but are stuck with Uncle Mike's cloth or Fobus plastic holsters. Same thing with ammo. You can buy a top quality pistol and have Wolf, Ultramax, or S&B ammo to choose from to feed it. Is there no profit in holsters and ammo, so they just stock the cheapset stuff possible? Is there no demand for decent holsters and ammo? What's the deal?
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:29:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 2:33:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Why is it so difficult to buy the necessary accessories for a gun in a gun shop??? I know of AT LEAST half a dozen gun shops where you can buy a $700-$1200 HK, Sig, or Kimber, but are stuck with Uncle Mike's cloth or Fobus plastic holsters. Same thing with ammo. You can buy a top quality pistol and have Wolf, Ultramax, or S&B ammo to choose from to feed it. Is there no profit in holsters and ammo, so they just stock the cheapset stuff possible? Is there no demand for decent holsters and ammo? What's the deal?

I have given up on gun shops.  Just order the accessories from online vendors.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:20:24 PM EDT
[#3]
They sell hundreds of models of guns, way too many accessories to know which ones to carry, etc. Not to mention internet sales & gunshow sales.

My .o2
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:25:54 PM EDT
[#4]
The flip side is they sell high dollar leather/cordura, ammo & accys.

Then Sell Hi-Points, Jennings and Bryco.

I'm like VTHOKIE, sit...order and wait.

Patience.

Danny
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:28:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Market driven!  Face it, they stock what sells.  For every Milt Sparks holster sold, probably 100 Fobus, Uncle Mikes, Bagmaster, Leepers, etc. POS's are sold.  When I worked pt for a guntore, invariably someone would come in and drop 1000's on guns, and then freak out about paying over $15 for a concealment holster that they would then clip on to their Walmart braided leather belt.  The good stuff would just collect dust and tie up much needed capital.
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:28:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The flip side is they sell high dollar leather/cordura, ammo & accys.

Then Sell Hi-Points, Jennings and Bryco.

I'm like VTHOKIE, sit...order and wait.

Patience.

Danny

That being said I just ordered a tac-holster for my Sig from Blackhaw Nylon.  $75 holster for $40 shipped.  Instead of stopping by gun shops one a week I surf online vendors 5X a week.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:30:55 PM EDT
[#7]

I have given up on gun shops.  Just order the accessories from online vendors.

+1
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:31:14 PM EDT
[#8]
trying to please a general but broader  market ...they're trying to survive and being too specialized reduces their profit for that type of store...
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:38:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Market driven!  Face it, they stock what sells.  For every Milt Sparks holster sold, probably 100 Fobus, Uncle Mikes, Bagmaster, Leepers, etc. POS's are sold.  When I worked pt for a guntore, invariably someone would come in and drop 1000's on guns, and then freak out about paying over $15 for a concealment holster that they would then clip on to their Walmart braided leather belt.  The good stuff would just collect dust and tie up much needed capital.

That is ME!   Uncle Mikes holster and cheap leather belt from Wal-Mart.  The Uncle Mikes is, well ok but it is wearing the hell out of the handgun.  It conceals and holds it really well but it doesn't reholster very well.  
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 5:06:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I've spent as much on gunleather as I have on the guns.  Armories catering to law enforcement have supplied me with some pretty nice carry gear/leather.  I still miss the armory at the Clackamas County Public Safety Training Center (run by the Sheriff's department) --- but I heard from the staff there that it is difficult to make a decent ROI on leather inventory.  

I've benefitted a few times from close-out sales on decent gunleather at stores that decided to stop carrying high-quality holsters.  We're down to just a couple of stores in my area that actually stock the decent stuff --- but my favorite gun store seems to be willing to order what I want if they don't have it.

Same outfit seems to stock decent ammo --- I only find Wolf and S&B at gun shows.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top