Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/6/2006 11:30:55 AM EDT
I have a 120v electric motor on a table saw that vibrates badly, but runs. The shaft feels free--I thought about a bearing. It has very little power and will kick the breaker under any sawing load.

Is this worth trying to get it fixed? Might it be something simple that I could fix? A new one is ~$300. Rigid/Home Depot brand.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:37:05 AM EDT
To take the motor to a rewind shop, will probably cost you more than you want to spend on it. They probably won't touch it for under a hundred. We had the same problem with a table saw here at work. Bite the bullet and buy the rigid one. If the motor craps out on it, you can replace it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 11:40:25 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/6/2006 2:53:22 PM EDT

It's not economical to rebuild small motors like that . If it's not a bearing or something simple
then you might as well cruise the 'net and see if you can find it cheaper .
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:11:11 AM EDT
Check Grainger -- they have some really good motors at really low prices. A motor in one of my tools burned out; the mfr wanted $90 to replace it. Grainger had one that fit (after I snapped off two unnecessary extra mounting screws), was significantly more powerful, and cost $28.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:26:05 AM EDT
injun-ear: Look in the local yellow pages under "electrical motors," and ask them how much to rewind a motor, it is really expensive, unless you have a very special, unique, collectible; it would probably be cheaper just to buy a new motor.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 10:29:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 71-Hour_Achmed:
Check Grainger -- they have some really good motors at really low prices. A motor in one of my tools burned out; the mfr wanted $90 to replace it. Grainger had one that fit (after I snapped off two unnecessary extra mounting screws), was significantly more powerful, and cost $28.

Grainger has good prices on motors. Though, sometimes the service is unbelievable.

Such as I ordered a 45HP 3PH Motor. They sent me a 150HP Motor! What the hell was I gonna do with this thing?

I called them 3 times to pick it up and it sat on my dock for about a year. (Mind you, I never paid for this motor, nor ever receieved a bill).

I called one last time, saying I had someone willing to pay cash for it and that they had 45 minutes to beat the buyer here. Surprise, I had a truck at my dock in 15 minutes that took the motor away.
Top Top