Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/1/2006 4:08:28 PM EDT
Im 18 now so i guess i have to fill this thing out. Ive got a couple questions though

-Do i have to do it even if im obligated already to another branch in the military?
-I just tried to register online, and it stated that i couldnt at this time, any one know what time i can do it at?
-Am i required to, or just encouraged to?
-How exactley does it work, and whats it for?

Thanks
PJ
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:10:53 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Im 18 now so i guess i have to fill this thing out. Ive got a couple questions though

-Do i have to do it even if im obligated already to another branch in the military?
-I just tried to register online, and it stated that i couldnt at this time, any one know what time i can do it at?
-Am i required to, or just encouraged to?
-How exactley does it work, and whats it for?

Thanks
PJ

My ex-roommate never signed up at all.

He went into the military at 21, and never got any shit for not signing up.

I think voluntary enlistment exempts you from your selective service obligation.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:11:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't believe it is an optional event, but I don't know of the Feds having ever kicked down a door for not doing it. If you are obligated to the service already, fill it out and send it in anyways.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:12:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried to sign up but they gave me some bullshit about having to be a U.S. citizen.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:15:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Its about as optional as income taxes...
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:16:46 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't believe it is an optional event, but I don't know of the Feds having ever kicked down a door for not doing it. If you are obligated to the service already, fill it out and send it in anyways.

You believe wrong it is not optional you are required to sign up within 30 days of their 18th birthday if you do not do you can go to jail.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:19:24 PM EDT
[#7]
It's my understanding that the Selective Service is automatically notified of all military enlistments so they can update their records.  If no record exists, one is created.

Registration Information
www.sss.gov/when.htm
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:21:31 PM EDT
[#8]
www.sss.gov/qa.htm#quest4

What is the penalty for not registering?
If you do not register, you could be prosecuted and fined up to $250,000 and/or be put in jail for up to five years. Registration is also a requirement to qualify for Federal student aid, job training benefits, and most Federal employment.

Maine:  Requires Selective Service registration as a precondition for state student financial aid. Signed by Gov. John McKernan in 1987.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:22:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks all. Ive got no problems signing up, just wanted to get some info on it.

PJ
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:23:50 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thanks all. Ive got no problems signing up, just wanted to get some info on it.

PJ

Think you also have to update your address with the selective service each time you move until you're 26.  Something I'd not head about until after I turned 26.  
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:24:51 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You believe wrong it is not optional you are required to sign up within 30 days of their 18th birthday if you do not do you can go to jail.

As I read my post, it says that you HAVE TO DO IT, but.....I doubt there is a special task force in place to track down offenders. Maybe they'd catch up to you trying to cross into Canada or get a passport.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I Depped into the Corps at 17
I got a SS registration form sent
to my Barracks at Camp Le Jeune
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As I read my post, it says that you HAVE TO DO IT, but.....I doubt there is a special task force in place to track down offenders. Maybe they'd catch up to you trying to cross into Canada or get a passport.

Yes, it's one of those requirements that isn't routinely checked.  When I was in Federal HR, we would check when we did the backround investigation on new hires.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Now another question to add to this discussion.......Are females required to file for SS...? And if not, why not.? There are in fact plenty of females in the military. Perhaps more now than when I was in, and in higher profile jobs.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:36:06 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Now another question to add to this discussion.......Are females required to file for SS...? And if not, why not.? There are in fact plenty of females in the military. Perhaps more now than when I was in, and in higher profile jobs.

No, the Military Selective Service Act, is only for males.  It would require an act of Congress to change.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:37:05 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Its about as optional as income taxes...

+1
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:42:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Because the law is a double standard.  Because the federal government discriminates against men.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:50:28 PM EDT
[#18]
I remember receiving a notice to register as I was about halfway through my 20!  I kept it for my scrapbook.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm 27 and I never did register.  Then again, I turned 18 in the last week of Army Basic.  The New York State Police require proof that you registered for them to consider you for employment.  They have an exemption for military veterans though.

Like what has already been mentioned, I doubt they will be kicking in your door any time soon, but you should still register.  

-K

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top