Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/9/2006 2:01:16 PM EDT
In traveling through the mall a few days ago I took a look at a bunch of PDAs for the first time. They seemed pretty neat and I'm just curious about getting more information on them.

Who owns one and what brand/model? The only one I know of are Palm Pilots.

Can do you do anything on them besides fill in calender dates and write down phone numbers?

Benefits? Drawbacks? Etc etc.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:08:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the Dell Axim X51v.  I thought it would be a good tool for keeping track of appointments.  Turns out I use it mostly as an MP3 player/gameboy.  But it also comes in handy as a television remote control.  IMHO, unless you have so much going on you can't keep track of it all, don't bother.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:10:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an iPaq H3850. It's awesome.

Other than calender dates and phone numbers, you can do a lot. Mine came with Windows Media Player, Word, and Excel. There's a bunch of other programs on it that I don't use, and download.com has a bunch of programs for mine, including a TI-83/4/9 emulator. Also, there's a version of Windowblinds (Windows GUI skinner) for it, called Pocketblinds. I was looking into putting Linux on it too.

Get one. I got mine because it was cool, not because it was useful, but it's sure as hell useful. All my past PDAs (some noname casio thing, and a Palm m100) broke, but my iPaq is still kickin after something like three/four years. Serves as an MP3 player too if you don't cram too much music on it. There's probably a lot of better stuff out there by now, but I say get a PDA.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an Axim x50v.  It runs Windows Mobile 2003 and the VGA is beautiful.  That and my Bluetooth GPS and I'm all set.  The Windows Mobile 5 upgrade is supposed to be causing real problems with the x50s and x51s.  
There's all kinds of programs you can get for it.  Look at www.pocketgear.com
I use mine for maps, geocaching, astronomy, games, Internet at moblie hot spots.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Thing I used my iPaq for:

- Translator in 5 languages and dictionary (SlovoED)
- Mapping and GPS software (Pocket Streets)
- Units converter and calculator (Coolcalc)
- Task manager (Listpro)
- Voice recorder that records in MP3 (NoteM)
- Contacts
- Calendar
- Plus everything else you can do with Pocket Excel, Word, etc...

I say used because I accidentally wiped it and am now using a Treo 650  in the interim which does about half of the above.  Waiting for the hw6900 to come out which will do all the above plus act as a phone with built in GPS.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:11:58 PM EDT
[#5]
I really like my Treo 600.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:12:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:18:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Are there any must-have Apps and Games for it? Sounds pretty neat. I saw one with an integrated 802.11b connection so you could surf the web if you found a hotspot.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:19:47 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Dell Axim. I use the Calendar, synced to my Outlook Calendar, and also have Wireless Bluetooth for GPS....I'll admit, it is a toy, but the GPS is priceless when you need it.

jj
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:20:14 PM EDT
[#9]
The biggest waste of my money.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:21:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Posting from your PDA on ARFCOM while your taking a power dump is "loads" of fun but it's mostly a fancy phonebook to me
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I had a Toshiba e750.  It was great, I used it to watch movies (DVD rips) and used it for music.  But my friend spilled Sulfuric Acid all over it and it was no more.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:22:20 PM EDT
[#12]
When I was a freshie in High School a select number of freshies were allowed to lease, buy, or rent Palms for this "Student Empowered Teaching" program.  

The program looked promising.  But the Palm was used for very little, and they tended to break down, and kids used them more for playing games during inappropriate times.

The program was cancelled at the end of the year, and the superintendent and a few of the teachers that were major sponsors of the program left.  

As to the Palm itself, I used it to write things, it had an address book.  IIRC it was a Palm xe.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:22:44 PM EDT
[#13]
I use my Palm every day. I even use it for long range shooting with the Horus Vision Atrag software.
horusvision.com/hv.cfm?pg=prsf
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:28:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Palm T3.  Wouldn't be without one for work. Tracks appts, address/phone #'s of co-workers, clients, etc., syncs with PC and has alarm from 1 minute to 1 year. Takes pictures, can be tied in with GPS device and has a keyboard extension plus can be used as an on-the-fly writer.  Worth its weight in gold and it carries easily in pocket or bag.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:30:04 PM EDT
[#15]
I win!
Yes it is a PDA
YES it is a Camera
YES it is a video Cam
YES it has built in Wi-FI
YES it has built in Bluetooth
YES I can access the web at blistering speeds
YES I am a geek!
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:39:36 PM EDT
[#16]
here is one in the EE that i want to buy..  but i cant due to bills,., .

gonna post the link so you can buy it instead of me cause i cant afford it right now..

link

]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Blackberry 6500

check email through Outlook
browse the web
phone calls
std. PDA functions- calendar, alarms, note taking, address book, etc.
charges from the USB port on my laptop or PC which is also how I download info as well

bought it because I had to have it for work.  Problem is, in a few months they'll offer twice as many functions in a package half the size.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 2:47:17 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got a HP, it uses Windows brand Operating System.  It's OK, kind of a PITA to sync sometimes.  I mainly use it for the mapping program mapopolis.com.  Lets me find places in a real hurry when the brain ceases to function.  (need to do that sometimes on the fire truck)

I bought a Rhino sleeve for mine to protect it.  I can also download our entire personell manual and Operating Procedures into the little puppy.  Plus I got (or had) a dictionary thesarus on there too.  It's like a having a quick reference file right in your pocket.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:12:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Hmmm...now if only I had the $300 for a good one
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:23:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I have used several in the past few years, latest was a Dell Axim X5 and now I am using a HP Ipaq 3115.  I love it but it is used mostly as a toy or gadget, not really useful enough for major applications. I use the wireless internet, address book and calendar features mostly.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:35:44 PM EDT
[#21]
I have an iPAQ hx4700.  Mostly I used it at work to stream audio like Rush and Hannity.  The building I worked in could not get radio.  I don't work there anymore but still use it as an mp3 player, storing pictures and video, phone #'s, and shopping lists.  The WI-FI capability was really why I got it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 3:37:12 PM EDT
[#22]
i use a pocket calendar.  it's made from a renewable resource.  i also use a pen.  my life is not that complicated, and it shall remain so.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:26:36 PM EDT
[#23]
I have a Palm Tungsten and LOVE it.  I use it every day and it has literally replaced like 10 of my textbooks for nursing school.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:51:09 PM EDT
[#24]
Had a palm V. OK.  
Got a Treo 600.  Really liked it.  Then it crapped out.
Work bought me a Kyocera 7135.  Really like it.  Cell phone, hundreds of contacts, each with 3 or 4 phone numbers and e-mails.  Calander that keeps me straight.  Hot synch with all my computers.  I'm sure it could do more, buy that's all I need.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:53:25 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
In traveling through the mall a few days ago I took a look at a bunch of PDAs for the first time. They seemed pretty neat and I'm just curious about getting more information on them.

Who owns one and what brand/model? The only one I know of are Palm Pilots.

Can do you do anything on them besides fill in calender dates and write down phone numbers?

Benefits? Drawbacks? Etc etc.

Thanks.

You can do anything imaginable on a PDA......You just can't do it all well.

The more capability a PDA has, the less likely it is to be user friendly. There are all sorts of doo-dads and software available for them, which can have you sinking enough money into one to build a decent desktop.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:54:41 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Are there any must-have Apps and Games for it? Sounds pretty neat. I saw one with an integrated 802.11b connection so you could surf the web if you found a hotspot.

You MIGHT be able to surf the web. Handhelds are notoriously difficult to support on wireless networks. Don't think that it will be like having a laptop.

Not to mention the truly sucky experience of trying to actually input data into the damn things.

If you use outlook to manage your e-mail, calendar, and contacts, then a Windows based PDA might come in very handy for you. It will let you take all of that with you as well as Office documents, presentations, and you can add other useful software too. (PalmOS PDAs are now good with Outlook too...)

If you don't use Outlook, skip it.

Most people are better off with a 10 dollar day planner than these uber PDAs. If you like electronic toys, you may love the PDA. If, however, you want something that will be useful and helpful in managing your life, PDAs suck major butt.

I know.

I have been using them since they came on the market.

I have yet to find them essential to my daily life.

And I work in IT.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 4:57:01 PM EDT
[#27]
Palm user for years, and love 'em. Very intuitive and easy to get used to.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:00:38 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

The Palm is the easiest to use, and here is what is really important, easier to input data with. Grafitti is great...until you forget how to use regular handwriting.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:01:52 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
here is one in the EE that i want to buy..  but i cant due to bills,., .

gonna post the link so you can buy it instead of me cause i cant afford it right now..

link

img185.imageshack.us/img185/3359/1151596img9lf.jpg]

So YOU'RE that one guy that actually bought the Ngage.  

Just got my wife a Palm Zire 31 for Christmas.  Within 2 days, it was loaded with all of her appointments, classes, and important dates for the coming year, all of her contacts for home and work, and all sorts of other day-to-day stuff.  It almost seems like she hasn't put it down since she got it.  Not bad for $110.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:06:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
Just got my wife a Palm Zire 31 for Christmas.  Within 2 days, it was loaded with all of her appointments, classes, and important dates for the coming year, all of her contacts for home and work, and all sorts of other day-to-day stuff.  It almost seems like she hasn't put it down since she got it.  Not bad for $110.

Generally if one does not need their PDA to be a wireless inventory scanner, a portable medical referrence, a portable PowerPoint presentation device, or a GPS system, they are best off by buying one of those 99 dollar Palms and sticking with that.

The cheap Palms are more than adequate for PIM functions and an occasional fun game.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#31]
My wife and I both have Palm Tungsten E.
It is very helpful but not as pretty as the pocket PC's etc.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#32]
I have two, a Palm IIIc that I use only every now and then and a.................... I'm not sure that I can even admit it................................ I still have a Apple Newton that I bought back in 93 that I use daily
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#33]
I think mine is a Palm M500 or something like that.  I really thought I needed one but then when I got it I didn't use it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:06:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Corperate issued Blackberry
Phone
Web
Email
Outlook

very handy
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#35]
The thing that has kept me a Palm fan for so long is that I can integrate my ACT! database with it. Having managed multi-state regions for nearly a dozen years, there have been times when I had over 6,000 names in it, and a full calendar to boot. It was a snap synching my PC database into the Palm, and kept me as organized as I could be. A Palm Pilot and ACT! were always two essentials for this (former) road warrior.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a Ipaq 4155.  Pretty good for the internet with a wifi connection.  I really like it with my Bluetooth GPS.  THEY DO NOT MAKE ANYTHING EASIER!  Only more complicated.  My .02.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:34:37 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Palm is the easiest to use, and here is what is really important, easier to input data with. Grafitti is great...until you forget how to use regular handwriting.

+1
Palm User since '96
I have had less problems with my various palms than I have had with ANY other piece of portable electronics.

MS vs PALM vs. Linux
It depends on what you want it for, that'll determine the OS
Palm OS is tighter and there are more apps. Also it syncs with Apples. Battery life is better.
MS OS- Intergration with Windows and microsoft software is very good, with anything else, none.
Linux- Don't know enough users to have an informed decision.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:40:07 PM EDT
[#38]
I had a Palm Vx for 5 years and just got a Palm T|X for Christmas.

The T|X has WiFi and Bluetooth. The WiFi works very well, but surfing on a PDA has it's limitations.  Overall, I really like the T|X.

Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:12:28 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I had a Palm Vx for 5 years and just got a Palm T|X for Christmas.

The T|X has WiFi and Bluetooth. The WiFi works very well, but surfing on a PDA has it's limitations.  Overall, I really like the T|X.

The T|X was the main model I was looking at.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:15:10 PM EDT
[#40]
tag for later
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:48:33 PM EDT
[#41]

HP iPAQ rx3715

The wife got me one a few months ago to replace the 4155 that my 16 y.o. daughter broke the screen on, and the Elvis took it (disappearated).

Of course, then my 2 year old has to break the next one, and HP wanted $269 to fix it.

The wife found one @ Office Depot for $249.

We're gonna send the broken one to an independent repair shop for a new screen - quoted $120-160.

Ther biggest thing is compatability with Outlook - that way, the wife can schedule stuff around the house, and I can schedule electrical jobs, and classes & trainings for the FD, and we don't wind up with a messy argument.

I also use Excel for job workups and inventories.

I've been able to use most WiFi hotspots w/o any problems, but I have yet to successfully sync my BT phone and iPAQ.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 9:58:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for all the info fellas. I'd sure love to get one but don't have a cent to put toward a purchase! One day though....
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:39:52 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

That's my current one, work issue.  

I WANT a phone/PDA/GPS.  Where can I keep track of what's available and what's coming down the pipe?
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 2:47:31 AM EDT
[#45]
I have one that I use everyday.  It suports my timber cruising/mapping/GPS software.  That is all I use it for.  Any other application would be useless to me.  It has a gazzillion features that I don't use.  For example I get a phone number or a contact I write it in my notepad because it takes less time and I know my chances of loosing the note pad are less than having a system crash.

roboman, if you are getting one just because they are "neat" save your money or buy something else more usefull like a gun.  Unless you have a dire need for one it won't be worth your money.  Just my $.02
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:47:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 3:50:01 AM EDT
[#47]
I have an older Palm pilot, but havent touched it since I was issued a Blackberry by work.
I love the CrackBerry, email, phone, calendar, everything I could need is right on it, and its syncronized with Outlook.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:11:08 AM EDT
[#48]
I was looking at PDA's before Christmas.
IT guy at work says the PDA's will fade.  Phones that do the same thing or a small laptop is money better spent.  Unless you have to have one right now.  If that is the case, he said to be sure it has wi-fi and bluetooth capabilities.  Make sure that it can interface with your regular computer (windows based op system on pda).  Stay away from Palm.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:20:23 AM EDT
[#49]
HP IPAQ.  I don't know how the memory correlated to PC memory, but I haven't managed to fill it up.  I have several Excel spread sheets with serial number/equipment/name data, and just loaded Adobe Acrobat reader and put a fairly large PDF on it.  I will have balistic data on it when I get around to compiling it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2006 4:21:58 AM EDT
[#50]
I messed with them, never seemed worth having to me
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top