Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2006 4:18:55 PM EDT
Remembering Heros time.

John Burke. One of Carlos Hathcocks spotters.  He was assigned as a  sniper squad leader in the first battalion 26th Marines in Khe Sanh in 1967 after Carlos rotated home the first time.  At the outset of a sapper attack several of his men were wounded and Burke dragged them all into a bunker.  As soon as they were all safe, he picked up an M-16 and began slowly picking off sappers as they showed themselves.  Another grenade blast wounded him in the hip but wounded another Marine about 30 feet away,  as he was carrying the Marine he heard another incoming RPG and threw the unconscience marine down and covered him with his own body,  he sustained severe shrapenel wounds this time but dragged the other marine to cover.  He was wounded by a third grenade while pulling another marine to safetly after this.  He was literally bleeding from every limb, his face, chest, stomach and back.  He hung a bunch of grenades on his belt grabbed an M-16 and charged the wire.  He was firing with his left hand and throwing grenades with his right.  His actions broke the attack and the VC retreated.  A year later he was posthumosly awarded the navy cross by direction of President Johnson for his actions that night.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:02:28 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Remembering Heros time.

John Burke. One of Carlos Hathcocks spotters.  He was assigned as a  sniper squad leader in the first battalion 26th Marines in Khe Sanh in 1967 after Carlos rotated home the first time.  At the outset of a sapper attack several of his men were wounded and Burke dragged them all into a bunker.  As soon as they were all safe, he picked up an M-16 and began slowly picking off sappers as they showed themselves.  Another grenade blast wounded him in the hip but wounded another Marine about 30 feet away,  as he was carrying the Marine he heard another incoming RPG and threw the unconscience marine down and covered him with his own body,  he sustained severe shrapenel wounds this time but dragged the other marine to cover.  He was wounded by a third grenade while pulling another marine to safetly after this.  He was literally bleeding from every limb, his face, chest, stomach and back.  He hung a bunch of grenades on his belt grabbed an M-16 and charged the wire.  He was firing with his left hand and throwing grenades with his right.  His actions broke the attack and the VC retreated.  A year later he was posthumosly awarded the navy cross by direction of President Johnson for his actions that night.  

Wow...

God bless our service men and women.  

Semper Fi.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:03:38 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Wow...

God bless our service men and women.  

Semper Fi.  

+1
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:05:25 PM EDT
[#3]
RIP Marine

Semper Fi.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:10:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah I remember reading that in Marine Sniper. That Marine is a hero.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:11:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I know that its not about the medals and the glory, and it was good that they made aware his valiant actions by giving him the Navy Cross, but I think that he deserved the CMOH for what he did.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:22:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I know that its not about the medals and the glory, and it was good that they made aware his valiant actions by giving him the Navy Cross, but I think that he deserved the CMOH for what he did.

Yep, people have gotten it for less.  Back then though the word "sniper" was even dirtier than it is now.  Even though when killed he wasn't actually using his sniper training, he was still a sniper.  I'd bet thats why he didn't get it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 6:27:55 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Sniper will always be a dirty word.
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:29:33 PM EDT
[#9]
[speachless]
Link Posted: 1/9/2006 7:51:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Except for the actual fathering, he was like Carlos Hathcocks kid.  Hathcock trained hundreds of snipers, I can only wonder how many he trained this well.  I couldn't expect less from another Arkansas boy
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top