Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 1/6/2006 4:27:31 PM EDT
(Copied from AT Tech support forum, because that place is really slow)

My new computer is not recognizing its onboard ethernet connection

It says it has 2 IEEE 1394 network connections, but despite having used the same network cable as is in this one (plugged to the same spot on the router), it won't add a LAN connection.

The lights go on in the ethernet port in the motherboard, but the computer refuses to recognize the connection.

Edit: I've tried installing the drivers from the Gigabyte website (transferred via thumbdrive), but it says "there is not enough space on drive C:\ to extract this package. Please free up 53.93MB and click Retry." The drivers from another source (apparently the same file) say the same.

I have approximately 272 GB free, so unless this file is absolutely massive (and yet somehow fits in a package of 35 MB), it's not working.

In all other manners, the computer is working perfectly, all other peripherals and cards are working, etc., but I can't get the ethernet to work.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:28:12 PM EDT
Bump. This is a pretty big issue, any help would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:33:39 PM EDT
could have come broken from the factory...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:37:50 PM EDT
Is the LAN connection enabled in BIOS?

Try a cheapie LAN card in one of the PCI slots to see if you can get connectivity.

It's possible that the on-board LAN is busted. I've seen it before.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 5:44:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:07:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SWS:
Is the LAN connection enabled in BIOS?

Try a cheapie LAN card in one of the PCI slots to see if you can get connectivity.

It's possible that the on-board LAN is busted. I've seen it before.

It's enabled. I might try getting another LAN card to install, but before that I want to exhaust all options.

The port tower that the LAN is on has 2 USB, 1 LAN, and the 2 USB ports work fine. My mouse is in one of the ports now, and responding perfectly.

Originally Posted By tc6969:
IIRC IEE1394 is firewire.
Did you get a driver disk for the mother board?

Yeah, 1394 is firewire.

I did get a driver disk for the mobo, and I installed all drivers on it except those for the onboard audio and the AMD 'cool and quiet' operation, both of which are unnecessary.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:39:52 PM EDT
Bumpty Dumpty sat on a wall...
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:17:28 PM EDT
Does the Network Adapter appear in Windows Device Manager?

Both the 1394 controller and the Ethernet controller should be together under "Network Adapter".
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:24:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MagKnightX:
The port tower that the LAN is on has 2 USB, 1 LAN, and the 2 USB ports work fine. My mouse is in one of the ports now, and responding perfectly.

I did get a driver disk for the mobo, and I installed all drivers on it except those for the onboard audio and the AMD 'cool and quiet' operation, both of which are unnecessary.

ASUS A8N32 SLI Deluxe?
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 11:25:24 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MagKnightX:
(Copied from AT Tech support forum, because that place is really slow)

My new computer is not recognizing its onboard ethernet connection

It says it has 2 IEEE 1394 network connections, but despite having used the same network cable as is in this one (plugged to the same spot on the router), it won't add a LAN connection.

The lights go on in the ethernet port in the motherboard, but the computer refuses to recognize the connection.

Edit: I've tried installing the drivers from the Gigabyte website (transferred via thumbdrive), but it says "there is not enough space on drive C:\ to extract this package. Please free up 53.93MB and click Retry." The drivers from another source (apparently the same file) say the same.

I have approximately 272 GB free, so unless this file is absolutely massive (and yet somehow fits in a package of 35 MB), it's not working.

In all other manners, the computer is working perfectly, all other peripherals and cards are working, etc., but I can't get the ethernet to work.

Umm, just a question but is your hard drive actually labeled as the C:\ drive. On my laptop my c:\ drive is actually a card reader and I get this error when I forget to change the path to the F:\ drive.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:09:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2006 7:10:40 AM EDT by MagKnightX]

Originally Posted By SWS:
Does the Network Adapter appear in Windows Device Manager?

Both the 1394 controller and the Ethernet controller should be together under "Network Adapter".

No, just 2 1394 controllers.

Originally Posted By The_Alchemist:
ASUS A8N32 SLI Deluxe?

No, Gigabyte GA-K8N pro-SLI.

Originally Posted By inzane123:
Umm, just a question but is your hard drive actually labeled as the C:\ drive. On my laptop my c:\ drive is actually a card reader and I get this error when I forget to change the path to the F:\ drive.

Yes, my HDD is the C:\ drive.

On ATTS, it was suggested that I run Memtest-86, so I'm running that, and that will take a while, it seems. I doubt it'll turn up problems, but I guess no harm in running it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:25:51 AM EDT
The network card will appear in the control panal system under network controlers. The 1394 will be in a seprate location.
Make sure it is enabled in all profiles.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:34:07 AM EDT
I had the same problem, the NIC was detected when I changed the "PnP aware OS" option in the BIOS.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:38:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rpd_fire:
The network card will appear in the control panal system under network controlers. The 1394 will be in a seprate location.
Make sure it is enabled in all profiles.

It doesn't appear there, you can be sure of that. Only the two 1394 cards do.

Originally Posted By julenissen:
I had the same problem, the NIC was detected when I changed the "PnP aware OS" option in the BIOS.

Okay, I'll try that, if you can explain how. I know many of the BIOS options, but I don't know where that one is or what its options are.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 8:05:01 AM EDT
You did clear the CMOS when you first got it didn't you? I've used that to clear up lots of problems on builds.
Top Top