Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/27/2005 5:43:35 PM EDT
I got a call this afternoon that there server was screaming. So i went over and the buzzer on the computer was going off signaling that a drive died in the raid 1. So i swap out the bad drive and the computer says it cant find the OS. I unplug the new drive and it boots rite up but with the buzzer blazing.

I went into the raid bios and cant find anythign to rebuild the raid array.

What the hell am i doing wrong?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have a disk withe thr raid controller drivers on it?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:04:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Usually they start automatically rebuilding. If it doesn't when you plug the new drive in again, then you need to find the raid managment software, not the bios.
Normally it is loaded on the machine, unless it is a seperate box, and then you might have to hit it with IE or some other remote managment program. Depends on who makes it and the model.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I used  the Intel Matrix Storage Console to build my RAID1 which is not compatiable with the crappy Dell BIOS.

If one craps out, I can rebuild from Windows.

System Information

Kit Installed: 5.1.0.1022
Kit Install History: 4.0.0.6211, 4.5.0.6581, 5.1.0.1022
Shell Version: 5.1.0.1022
String Load Library: 5.1.0.1022
WMI Interface Library: 5.1.0.1022

OS Name: Microsoft Windows XP Professional
OS Version: 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
System Name: DELL
System Manufacturer: Dell Inc.          
System Model: 0J3492
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.60GHz
BIOS Version/Date: Dell Inc.                 A08, 11/08/2005

Language: ENU

Intel(R) RAID Technology

Intel RAID Controller: Intel(R) 82801FR SATA RAID Controller

RAID Option ROM Version: 4.0.0.6211
Driver Version: 5.1.0.1022
RAID Plug-In Version: 5.1.0.1022
Language Resource Version of the RAID Plug-In: 5.1.0.1022
Create Volume Wizard Version: 5.1.0.1022
Language Resource Version of the Create Volume Wizard: 5.1.0.1022
Create Volume from Existing Hard Drive Wizard Version: 5.1.0.1022
Language Resource Version of the Create Volume from Existing Hard Drive Wizard: 5.1.0.1022
Modify Volume Wizard Version: 5.1.0.1022
Language Resource Version of the Modify Volume Wizard: 5.1.0.1022
Delete Volume Wizard Version: 5.1.0.1022
Language Resource Version of the Delete Volume Wizard: 5.1.0.1022
RAID ISM Library Version: 5.1.0.1022
Device IO Library Version: 5.1.0.1022
Event Monitor User Notification Tool Version: 5.1.0.1022
Language Resource Version of the Event Monitor User Notification Tool: 5.1.0.1022
Event Monitor Version: 5.1.0.1022

Array 0
Hard Drive Write Cache Enabled: Yes
Size: 465.7 GB
Free Space: 0 GB
Number of Hard Drives: 2
Hard Drive Member 1: Maxtor 7L250S0
Hard Drive Member 2: Maxtor 7L250S0
Number of Volumes: 1
Volume Member 1: Dell Refurbs

Volume 0
System Volume: Yes
RAID Level: RAID 1 (mirroring)
Size: 232.8 GB
Number of Hard Drives: 2
Hard Drive Member 1: Maxtor 7L250S0
Hard Drive Member 2: Maxtor 7L250S0
Parent Array: Array 0

Hard Drive 0
Usage: Array member
Device Port: 0
Model: Maxtor 7L250S0

Hard Drive 1
Usage: Array member
Device Port: 2
Model: Maxtor 7L250S0
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:25:18 PM EDT
[#4]
I have the software for the raid. The management software runs in windows so I wouldnt be able to make use of that because it wont go into windows with the new drive attached. Its like as soon as i plug in the new drive it looses its array. If i were to recreate the array wouldnt i loose everything on the other drive?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:27:23 PM EDT
[#5]
What kind of controller are we talking about? Does the machine have a hot swappable backplane? If so, let the machine boot, then install the new drive. Then find the RAID management software and tell it to rebuild the array.

Not to be a smart ass, but are you sure it's RAID 1 and not 0? There is no redundancy using RAID 0.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I have the software for the raid. The management software runs in windows so I wouldnt be able to make use of that because it wont go into windows with the new drive attached. Its like as soon as i plug in the new drive it looses its array. If i were to recreate the array wouldnt i loose everything on the other drive?

I just tried this out yesterday.  
I don't know what you have to do, but what I did was change the RAID configuration to non-RAID in BIOS.  
This let me start Windows from the good drive.

Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

More than likely your RAID card doesn't see the new drive as belonging to the array (array configg info is stored on the disk).

Most RAID controllers have management software on ROM, check for a hot-key sequence during boot up.  From within the management ROM you should be able to do anything you can do with the OS software.

BTW, who makes your controller card?
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 6:40:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I got a call this afternoon that there server was screaming. So i went over and the buzzer on the computer was going off signaling that a drive died in the raid 1. So i swap out the bad drive and the computer says it cant find the OS. I unplug the new drive and it boots rite up but with the buzzer blazing.

I went into the raid bios and cant find anythign to rebuild the raid array.

What the hell am i doing wrong?

Is this SATA & an Intel board?  I did SATA RAID1 on an ICH5R Intel board. Here is what I remember from building mine..... First thing I found out, you cannot install the OS while RAID1 is setup in the bios, you have to do it on one drive and build the raid with the intel utility..  (differant than installing on RAID0)     Try swapping the cables, and booting it up.   If it boots up you should have the intel raid utility in the control panel..  you would rebuild your RAID1 there..  (will probably say that this drive suffored a catastrophic failure) you can redetect it and add it to your array your existing RAID..   (DO NOT CREATE A NEW RAID OR YOU WIPE OUT THE OTHER DRIVE) .     If swapping the cables didnt work, hot plug the new drive and rebuild it with the intel utility (DO NOT HOT PLUG AN IDE)
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Try the above sugguestions, but if that doesn't work, boot with the one good drive in and possible the old bad one. Then run the raid software in windows. There should be a replace bad drive choice, and it should set that one as bad and ready to detect the new one. Then you should be able to shut down and replace.

If none of the above work, do you have room to add another drive somewhere else on the raid controler?
If so, perhapes you need to add another drive as the hot spare. This will let it rebuild there. IT won't be in the original place, but it should work the same.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top