Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/26/2005 7:43:08 AM EDT
I want to get an Ar soon (around Feb.) and had a few questions.

1. Can I have one that fires 5.56 & 9mm. (you can just switch the uppers & barrels right?)

2. What brand has the best reliability? (this outta open a shit storm.)

3. Is it better to buid your own or buy a factory gun? ( for reliability)

4. What price range should be fair for a used rifle?

I might have more questions in the future but I know you guys will have ALL the answers.

Thanx guys in advance.

Ps. I don't care about what name is on it (Colt, Bushmaster....) just that it is reliable, fair price.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:49:23 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mwood65:
I want to get an Ar soon (around Feb.) and had a few questions.

1. Can I have one that fires 5.56 & 9mm. (you can just switch the uppers & barrels right?)

I might have more questions in the future but I know you guys will have ALL the answers.

Thanx guys in advance.

Ps. I don't care about what name is on it (Colt, Bushmaster....) just that it is reliable, fair price.

1)Get the .223/5.56 first and then get the 9mm upper (no need to switch barrels)

2)Colt, Bushmaster, Rock River, Armalite, CMT all make fine guns

3)Get a factory gun first, learn how to take it apart and put it back together, then build a second.

4) Don't go used, you could possibly be getting someone elses headache. A brandnew Bushmaster M4 should run $780-$910 bucks, possibly more depending on what it has one it.

Keep in mind that 9mm AR's are the most problematic of the AR's.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 7:52:22 AM EDT
Yup. You just swap uppers (I think the 9mm upper would come with its own B/C/CH).

You said it, brother. Some guys insist on the A,B,C, and R priority, but it depends on what you are willing to pay, and what features you want.

Hard to say. I've put over 2000 rnds thru my carbine since March of this year, and didnt have one problem. Its a forged Olympic lower, with an LMT Upper and LPK. I think a lot of it has to do with the builder. If you have someone experienced in the workings of the gun, you may just be as well off as a factory gun for reliability's sake. But, factory produced rifles and carbines having a warranty is worth something.

Depends on what it is. Used rifles sell in all different price ranges, depending on the manufacturer, features and condition.

Thanx guys in advance.

Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:36:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mwood65:

Is this your first AR15? If so, I would buy a factory one. Most of the factory assembled(Armalite, Bushmaster, DPMS guns etc) are pretty good. Shoot that gun until you can get a real decent group at 100 yards, and then decide what you want. I would also get a chrome-lined chamber and barrel because it will much longer, and the effect on accuracy is negligible.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:41:36 AM EDT
I built my first from scratch, and had 0 problems with it.

Whoever the precursor to M&A parts was in Lake Zurich, and an Essential Arms forged lower. IIRC it was $379 for the HBAR kit, $80 for the lower, $10 for the USMC M16 Armorer's guide and $30 for tools. If you can follow directions (and get one of the pre-headspaced kits) it's actually pretty easy.

But for foolproof? Buy a pre-built.

(Of course, before it got stolen , I'd put less than 300 rounds through it in the 9 years I'd owned it... something about a lack of shooting room had something to do with it. )

It's a great way to learn your weapon.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:49:28 AM EDT
Sounds like you Need a RockRiver, They offer there ARs in 9mm and 5.56mm from the factory, this sounds lik the easiest way to go for you, get a RRA M4 and a RRA 9mm upper, and Magblock, along with a DPMS hammer, and magazines fro both.
Top Top