Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 9:40:31 AM EDT
Well...I just played paintball for the first time last week and i loved it!!  I started off borrowing a cheap plasitc pump action paintball gun...and I was actually pretty good with it and got alot of people out with it.  Then they let me borrow a semi auto and i was able to slaughter them with it.

I think im going to get a paintball gun....they recomended a Tippman 98 Custom as a starter....is this a good paintball gun?  Which one would yall recomend?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#1]
How much $ do you have?  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:43:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
How much $ do you have?  

+1 its like pooring it down a rat hole!

Spelling error is intentional..
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:45:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Ya...I know...without spell check im a horrible speller.  But give me a break...ive been working 12 hours shifts for past week.

Ummmm i dont know...maybe around $150.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:47:57 AM EDT
[#4]
 I just saw a couple for sale in the EE.

Just a piece of advice...I you are going to play for a long time get a marker you will like for a long time.  Get a marker that has many upgrade options and part available for it. Tippman is a good "Starter" marker but if you do a little research you will notice not many of the big teams use them.

BTW I use a Tippman A-5 with the flatline barrel.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#5]
2.) Individuals interested in selling or trading equipment should resort to the Equipment Exchange. At no time should an item be listed in any discussion forum. (This includes links to auctions.)
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#6]
i have a matrix lcd pimped out, 4500 nitro tanks, 50 50 frame, evil barell kit, halo hopper shots about 28 bps, total package would run ya about 1200
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 9:59:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well...I just played paintball for the first time last week and i loved it!!  I started off borrowing a cheap plasitc pump action paintball gun...and I was actually pretty good with it and got alot of people out with it.  Then they let me borrow a semi auto and i was able to slaughter them with it.

I think im going to get a paintball gun....they recomended a Tippman 98 Custom as a starter....is this a good paintball gun?  Which one would yall recomend?

It's what I still use.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:04:37 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's what I still use.

i still do also
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:07:20 AM EDT
[#9]
damn $150. You aren't gonna get much. My barrel set cost me more.

If you are planning on getting serious look at the Smart Parts Ions. They are fast guns and are a grwat price. I believe they cost about as much as an AK

get an electronic gun, they are A LOT faster than the others.

For a good hopper it will run you about $150. I have a HALO with a victory boardand it lets me get about 28 BPS off consistently
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#10]
A friend of mine had one of those flatline barrels and it made a huge difference.  It puts backspin on the ball which counteracts the normal drop due to gravity. Compared to stock barrels he had at least twice the accurate range.  My aftermarket barrel was about half way in between.  The funny part is that the paint balls go straight as hell out for a while then suddenly veer off in a random direction.

The other thing to consider is who you'll be playing with. I had a Tippmann carbine just like the ones the other guys rented.  But they all felt outgunned because my aftermarket barrel had half again the accurate range.

My friend who had the flatline barrel got into paintball big time (just like all his hobbies).  He bought a high dollar marker and did a bunch of mods.  It was still a semi but the ROF was so high the damn thing was like a full auto.  Problem was after a while no one would play with him.  Especially when he tried to enter as a walk in.  In the end he got a pump so that people would let him play.

I would recommend you get a Tippmann with a stock barrel and a flatline barrel.  Shoot the flatline whenever you can.  If people don't want to play with you or you want a challenge switch back to the stock barrel.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:51:27 AM EDT
[#11]
I love my 98 custom.  My flatline if finiky, but the gun is rock solid.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:03:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I suggest you buy a 98 custom, get a new barrel some kind of electric hopper, and have fun. Don't go spending a hundred dollars on a HALO, as you'll never need that kind of speed with your 98custom.

The 98 custom is the AK of the paintball world. It's easy to work on and reliable. If it needs repairing, just remove the screws and change an o-ring.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 12:53:08 PM EDT
[#13]
I guess it would depend on what type of paintball you're going to be playing - speedball may require a faster gun, but woodsball can be played w/ a pump.  The tippman's have always gotten good marks for dependability & durabilty - I'd start there.

Re: super guns - develop some actual game skills, then upgrade when you level of play is hindered by the current set-up.  Plus, you may decide after a few months that you really don't have the time or money (or interest) to keep playing - if that were to happen, you are not out much money, and you could probably sell of the stock Tippman for a decent price.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:02:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
i have a matrix lcd pimped out, 4500 nitro tanks, 50 50 frame, evil barell kit, halo hopper shots about 28 bps, total package would run ya about 1200

i betcha the rest of the years paycheck you can't get me a video of you over a chronograph shooting (not bouncing) even close on 28bps.

with my old nyx matrix I never saw it fire over 24 without using a cheater board.  (gun alone on nyx is 1300...)  my alias never broke 26 and that was with a guy off of naughty dogs shooting it.  you also have to remember hes got some of the fastest fingers out.  

following all the trends and BS hype isn't where you are gonna find a good gun.  I would suggest putting a bit more into the gun so it will last you alot longer.  A 150 dollar gun turns into a 100 dollar gun next month.  keep going like that and you have nothing left.  

buy a used mid level gun thats price has already bottomed out.  overall standards say its 'out of date' or not the new gun anymore but you are comparing these to guns that have stay basically the same for the last 7-8 years (tippmann 98)  

If you want my advice.  go on ebay and start shopping around for a used phantom.  It is a pump action marker that has been around about 15 years.  If you are play woods ball it is a great gun.  It is the best way to learn to play.  By using a good quality pump rathar than a brass eagle plastic junker that won't hold its pressure you will be able to pick your shots.  then when you want to step it up you can get a semi.

you wouldn't want to start off with firearms by just blasting away with a mamaduece....you need to start with something that lets you get a feel for the game and slap everyone around with.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:13:44 PM EDT
[#15]
The M98 is about the best thing to hit the market for paintball new-commers.

I had one at one point... it wasn't bad... the only thing I don't like is they're too high pressure and mine liked to break paint.

My Old-school Shocker is what I have now.  Untouchable reliability, ROF, accuracy and range.  Only problem is it's a gas hog and it weighs a ton and it cost me $700 when I bought it used (well-modified by a paintball shop owner) with tank and everything.  I still wouldn't trade it for any gun on the market except maybe some electro-AutoCocker.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:17:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Well, if your going to just get camo'd out and play woods ball the 98 custom will do. I played tournament paintball (speedball) and no way the Tippman would cut it. Get an Impulse or something like that and mod it out. A good barrel will make all the difference in the world. It doesnt matter how fast you can shoot if you cant hit crap.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:19:39 PM EDT
[#17]
I have been playing since 1997.

A Tippman 98 is plenty of gun , very reliable.

I prefer to buy from the local stores , they tend to help you more when the need arises.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got a tippman A-5, works great for occasional play and has a built in feed system that works well. Its a good starter gun and the Flatline is much easier to set up with the A5 than the 98.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 1:58:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Tippman makes good stuff.    I still use the Pro-Lite I purchased about ten years ago, and it continues to serve me well.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:17:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Tippman 98 customs are the AK 47 of paint ball markers.  They aren't pretty, they aren't the most expensive and they aren't the most accurate but they ARE the most reliable paintball markers you can buy.  There are a few custom pieces you can add to it to make it look similar to an AR.  They're great woodsball markers.  If you're looking to spend 100-200 bucks then you can't go wrong with a Tippman 98C or even the A5's are nice.  If you want to up the price to around 300 bucks or so then go with a SMARTPARTS ION.  The ION is by far the best bang for the buck.  Now if you want to go balls to the wall and you have the cash you can buy my Impulse 2K2 Nasty cut.  It will run you about 600 bucks but it comes with a few extras like Freak Barrel with one insert and two front pieces.  W.A.S. Board with 2 eyes to prevent chop and firing capability of over 28 bps and a Halo hopper.  Welcome to a new expensive addiction.  
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:20:07 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Tippman makes good stuff.    I still use the Pro-Lite I purchased about ten years ago, and it continues to serve me well.

Same, althought I'm somewhat interested in getting myself an A-5.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:23:03 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Yes.

I have been playing (also Team Captain) for 5 yrs. now and have been running the same old Tippmann 98 for 4 years now.  If you get the Tippmann, get a Smart Parts All American 12" barrel and go to town!  Don't sink too much money for starters until the day arrives that you want to get "serious."  Another small word of advice:  Good tactics will rule out a nice gun 90% of the time.

What type of paintball are you playing?  Recreational, tournament, or scenario.

-White Horse
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:30:11 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Another small word of advice:  Good tactics will rule out a nice gun 90% of the time.

+1!   Me and my old Pro-Lite tagged three guys in a row last Thursday, and each of them had a Dye or other high $ marker.      
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#24]
what kind of game do you want to play?
tournaments? scenarios,or jus tthe occasional rec ball?
that makes a differnce..a tippman is a tank, good reliable marker that can handle abuse. good starter.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:36:44 PM EDT
[#25]

What type of paintball are you playing? Recreational, tournament, or scenario.

Ummmm I guess it would be considered scenario.

My friend has some land with a big old abandoned three story house.  The house is the base, or fort and one team has to defend it...and the other has to take it.  The players in the house can also come out of it and attack us.....which happened a few times and they chased us into the woods....which is were the entire "battle" was played out.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:02:36 PM EDT
[#26]
im gonna open your eyes to a whole new world.

wayne dollack scenario games.  google it and Im sure there will be one somewhere in the lonestar close enough.  That and oklahoma dday a single game but very much worth looking into.  will be right up your ally.

look into any 8 12 24 hour scenarios.  all are a blast.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:10:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Wayne Dollack runs some exteemely nice scenario games. He travels the country with WW2 themed games. They are always a blast.

I play scenario now almost exclusively. I still use my E Mag that I used for tournament play. Still play with a Phantom pump gun also. It's fun to nail the guys with the expensive electros. They nearly always say I'm cheating somehow. "Naw dude, just been playing since '86"
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:13:54 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Naw dude, just been playing since '86"

can't say ive got the same years down but my first gun was a BE nightmare.  kicks the crap outa the cheapo new pumps out now.  Look around for local run scenarios too.  there are alot down there.

I don't know if I'm allowed to do this so if its a nono delete it.
Im a supermod over at paintballforum.com  check us out there are some younger guys who can act up but its a pretty respectable forum that can help you find a stepping stone and get some great knowledge.  name there is bubbasr.  don't be affraid to say hello.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:17:55 PM EDT
[#29]
I still have a Brass Eagle Nightmare. Been offered some good money for it.

I'll check your forum out. Right now I've been hanging out on stockclasspaintball.com
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:57:44 PM EDT
[#30]
used to frequent there alot.  stopped after I don't have time to play anymore.  I ment more towards the new fella but I suppose there might be something for you there too.
ever surf around mcarterbrown.com  bought a couple beautiful markers over there.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:29:55 PM EDT
[#31]
Check out a marker called Vextor or Vector Eye, it is supposed to be in your price range and come with an electronic grip and eyes.  It is supposed to e uite a deal for the money.  You could also consider buying a used ICD BKO, they go dirt cheap used but best look for one with PDS.

Beware you are venturing into yet another money sink hole!  I have a collection of markers than run from $50 pump gus to $1500+ electros.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#32]
I started with a splatmaster and ended with a SMG60.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:52:04 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I started with a splatmaster and ended with a SMG60.

Still have the SMG60?
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:57:45 PM EDT
[#34]
I played w/ a Nelspot 007 :)   - back in the days of 10 round tubes, 12g CO2, no constant air (heck, not much of anything but the addition of a pump to the "bolt action" nelspot & Uvex goggles).  It was fun though (anda case of paint would last a couple of months, not a couple of days ;) )
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:02:25 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
I played w/ a Nelspot 007 :)   - back in the days of 10 round tubes, 12g CO2, no constant air (heck, not much of anything but the addition of a pump to the "bolt action" nelspot & Uvex goggles).  It was fun though (anda case of paint would last a couple of months, not a couple of days ;) )

And a case of paint was $200 too. I started with a bare bones 007 also. Finally got a PGP and I thought I was hot shit.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:27:05 PM EDT
[#36]
GET OUT NOW!!!!

Think of paintballing as more expensive than your firearm hobby, with the added bonus that paintball guns require more maintenance/have more breakable parts than real guns.

Seriously, I've used Tippmans on up to Angels and Intimidators. Its a rush to be out on the field, but you quickly get tired of renting, so you upgrade to an intro gun like a Tippman. It uses CO2 and thats not as reliable as Nitro...Nitro leads to a motorized hopper that leads custom barrels that lead gas regulators that lead to an electric gun with an internal computer. I've got friends who've spent $5k in one year and when I was playing I got close to that.

Paintballing is a sport that is weighted toward those with the best equipment. You may be competitive occasionally with good skill and a Tippman, but in the long run you'll get pissed at your own equipmentand start upgrading. If you are considering a $300 - $500 starting budget, skip that stage and save up about $1500. You'll be glad in the long run. If $1500 is a lot for you, you might consider a different hobby.

How do you think I found ARfcom???
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:45:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Woodsballers unite.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:43:03 AM EDT
[#38]
I still use (or would if I had time an money right now) my Tippy 98 Custom with a few mods.  It's a great gun, cheap, durable, and long lasting. Maybe not the best for speedball, but then I play woodsball usually.  I'm just a rec baller, no tourny's for me.  I would love to have a Devil Mag though.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:04:29 AM EDT
[#39]
I have a Tippman 98 (not the custom) all pimped out with the flatline an ADCO redot site, expantion chamber, drop forward, double trigger, all internals have been pollished, and its paired up with a 9V revolution with speed collars. The thing is a machine! I have never had any isues with it. I think I have only had it chop 2 balls in the 7 years I have been playing. Its short enough for close quarterd battle but with the flatline you can reach out and touch people at much longer ranges than they can shoot. PLus with the flatline you can shoot around corners (works great for guys hiding behind trees.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:22:51 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
I have a Tippman 98 (not the custom) all pimped out with the flatline an ADCO redot site, expantion chamber, drop forward, double trigger, all internals have been pollished, and its paired up with a 9V revolution with speed collars. The thing is a machine! I have never had any isues with it. I think I have only had it chop 2 balls in the 7 years I have been playing. Its short enough for close quarterd battle but with the flatline you can reach out and touch people at much longer ranges than they can shoot. PLus with the flatline you can shoot around corners (works great for guys hiding behind trees.

How does the flatline help achieve this?    Also, is the red dot really worth it?   I've been considering one for mine, along with an Armson polygonal rifled barrel.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:42:50 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How does the flatline help achieve this?    Also, is the red dot really worth it?   I've been considering one for mine, along with an Armson polygonal rifled barrel.

It has to do with spin on the ball.  The top of the ball is spinning toward you and the bottom away from you.  This backspin counters the downward pull of gravity.  If there was no gravity the ball would arc upward. If you turn the gun sideways to the left the left side of the ball is rotating toward you and the ball will arc to the left. Turn the gun to the right and the ball arcs to the right.  

This is useful sometimes but it's another example of paint ball tactics not translating into firearms tactics.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:07:14 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
It has to do with spin on the ball.  The top of the ball is spinning toward you and the bottom away from you.  This backspin counters the downward pull of gravity.  If there was no gravity the ball would arc upward. If you turn the gun sideways to the left the left side of the ball is rotating toward you and the ball will arc to the left. Turn the gun to the right and the ball arcs to the right.  

This is useful sometimes but it's another example of paint ball tactics not translating into firearms tactics.

Thanks for the explanation - that makes sense.    

And you're right about the tactics - I always get a kick out of the other people I play with who invariably compare paintball to combat.   While I've never been in combat, it's pretty obvious that almost anything used by paintballers as "cover" would be nothing more than "concealment" in any real kind of conflict.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:23:49 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That answers the curving ball question perfectaly! As for the sight yes and no. I no longer play but when I did I found it a hinderance in close quarters. I learned to just sight down the side of the gun and watch where the balls hit and kinda walk them in. Over distances it was ok. As you know a paintball gun is no where as accurate as a bullet out of a rifeled barel. Its kinda like having a sight on a smooth bore musket. It did help in getting pretty close to where I was aiming though at distances. Depending on what level you play at it has a psychological impact on other players. There were many times where I heard " oh shit that guys got a sight on his sniper rig we are going to get our asses kicked!" If you do alot of long distance I would recomend it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:42:03 AM EDT
[#44]
For your price range, you'd be hard pressed to beat the M98. I've had several Tippmans and all have served me well. Most of the time it is worth the investment to get a decent barrel for it, though. The stock Tippmann barrels usually leave something to be desired. (the flatline barrel system being the lone exception to this)

If you decide to spend in the $300 range, the Ion looks REALLY good. It has an impressive freature set for the price. To maximise the Ion, however, you'd probably want to run a low-pressure air system and a motorized hopper, both of which will add to the bottom line. Figure getting both of those mod will put yon into the $500 range. It should shoot really good, however.

Avoid most of the low-end guns. I can remember when the Brass Eagle Stingrays came out. The worked OK, but the field Tippman Pro/Ams had a distinct range advantage. I still use my Pro/Am from time to time, but I have put an after market barrel on it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:42:59 AM EDT
[#45]
I started in 1988 with a Splatmaster. Kinda funny, when the Splatmaster II came out with the the rotary magazine on the top I was all excited.

Paintball is a VERY expensive hobby. My last two guns were bot Tippmans: Model 98 and a Pro-Carbine. Both were OK, but nothing special.

I'd like to know more about the A-5, if anybody has any experience with one.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:46:20 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I started in 1988 with a Splatmaster. Kinda funny, when the Splatmaster II came out with the the rotary magazine on the top I was all excited.

Paintball is a VERY expensive hobby. My last two guns were bot Tippmans: Model 98 and a Pro-Carbine. Both were OK, but nothing special.

I'd like to know more about the A-5, if anybody has any experience with one.

I started with a 007.

I've looked at the A-5s and they look really nice. The cyclone feed system is reputed to work very well.

I've heard a 50/50 split on flatline vs aftermarket barrel for them, though.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 6:49:54 AM EDT
[#47]
I'm not impressed with the new Tippmans. I liked the old Pro-Lite. Spyder is a good marker the electronic ones are really good. I still use a 98 Autococker tricked inside/out on HPA. It may not be able to keep up the bps as the new ones but thats what experience is for  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top