Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2005 11:38:51 AM EDT
An illustration with one of the problems here:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=418261&page=16

You have one poster telling another to "go fuck themselves" and calling another  a "backwood ass" and referring to those that disagree with him as "a bunch of assholes"

So instead of locking the offender who obviously can't debate on the facts, he gets rewarded by having the entire thread locked.

Does anybody else see the problem with this approach?

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:41:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I was kinda enjoying that thread.  I figured it would end up in the pit, which would have been fine with me.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:44:51 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I was kinda enjoying that thread.  I figured it would end up in the pit, which would have been fine with me.

The pit is part of the problem here.

Instead of having an incentive to keep things somewhat civil (i.e., don't be an idiot or get locked), people escalate in order to get threads either locked or pushed to the pit, where they can act like little attack dogs.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:48:53 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The pit is part of the problem here.

Instead of having an incentive to keep things somewhat civil (i.e., don't be an idiot or get locked), people escalate in order to get threads either locked or pushed to the pit, where they can act like little attack dogs.

Yeah I don't understand what I did to deserve to be called a backwoods ass who has sex with his sister.  It was pretty clear that I had won the debate once they ran out of meaningfull stuff to say.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I think your poll and an option is BOTH  1 and 2.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:57:32 AM EDT
[#5]
Everyone needs to quit fucking crying over stupid shit. ARFCOM is turning into a nursery - everyone whines and cries about everything like children. People who are that sensitive need to stay off the internet.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:58:06 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been saying for a while now that the pit was a mistake and does nothing but lower the standards around here, but noooooooooo.  I'm just a backwoods ass!!!

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:59:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 11:59:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:00:03 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Everyone needs to quit fucking crying over stupid shit. ARFCOM is turning into a nursery - everyone whines and cries about everything like children. People who are that sensitive need to stay off the internetin a padded room.

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Everyone needs to quit fucking crying over stupid shit. ARFCOM is turning into a nursery - everyone whines and cries about everything like children. People who are that sensitive need to stay off the internet.

Maybe we want this place to be a little more civil?  There is nothing wrong with that.  If you want to call people names and have little outbursts, maybe you should go back to kindergarden.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:01:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
threads usually get locked becuase it's a royal PIA for us to have to edit 15 people quoting one dumbass that posts a COC violation. many of us are on dialup and editing 4-5 posts can take me 15-20 min or more.

there are certain thread topics that no matter what will end up in a pissing match. those get squashed when they get out of line in an attempt to keep some semblance of sanity here in gd.

That is understandable.........
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I've been saying for a while now that the pit was a mistake and does nothing but lower the standards around here, but noooooooooo.  I'm just a backwoods ass!!!

your not the only one.

I was all for it till that shit started about Deej.  Even after having my ass handed to me once or twice there.  They just used the pit to start uncalled for shit.  No pit, and it wouldn't have happened.  Not to take away from the people that started it, but sometimes taking away the forum to spout BS can keep some people inline.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
threads usually get locked becuase it's a royal PIA for us to have to edit 15 people quoting one dumbass that posts a COC violation. many of us are on dialup and editing 4-5 posts can take me 15-20 min or more.

I have a Cable connection.

Just give me a "Lock Account" button and I will be glad to handle this for you.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:09:06 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

there are certain thread topics that no matter what will end up in a pissing match. those get squashed when they get out of line in an attempt to keep some semblance of sanity here in gd.

posters are warned and refered to staff after multiple warnings for account review.

Yeah, it can be a pain in the ass, that's why the board needs a 'report abuse' button in the next update like free republic has for both individual posts and entire threads.

Say what wyou want about that site, but they have an efficient system of getting rid of the offensive posts (and posters) and keeping the threads on track and relatively civil.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:09:24 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Maybe we want this place to be a little more civil?  There is nothing wrong with that.  If you want to call people names and have little outbursts, maybe you should go back to kindergarden.

Civility is defined by each person differently. Some people here break into crying outbursts far too easily. I understand that ARFCOM can't dissolve into anarchy - but its a far cry from that......there are Team Members here who PM Moderators EVERY SINGLE TIME they get butthurt over something.

The general rule is don't give shit if you can't take it. I personally don't give a flying fuck what someone on the internet says. Some people live and die for their beloved [insert website or forum]. There is life beyond the internet but some don't grasp that concept.

Patterns of behavior.......A lot of people won't hesitate to make snide comments - then it comes back tenfold - which leads to their temper tantrum. Emotionally immature people shouldnt start or engage in arguments if they're going to cry about it all day and night. I could care less if someone flames me, mocks me, or talks shit about _______. I don't care. But many here have a double-standard. And thats where the problems start.

I am MORE concerned on why EDP's are trolling arfcom to start with.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:13:08 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You're making the mistake of assuming that most people are reasonable. Common mistake around here.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:14:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

posters are warned and refered to staff after multiple warnings for account review.

Yeah, it can be a pain in the ass, that's why the board needs a 'report abuse' button in the next update like free republic has for both individual posts and entire threads.

Say what wyou want about that site, but they have an efficient system of getting rid of the offensive posts (and posters) and keeping the threads on track and relatively civil.

Yeah but it really didn't bother me to be called names.  I wasn't offended at all........baseless name calling shows what kind of person they really are.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I blame the mods. We obviously need government enforced monitoring of Arfcom. What say you?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:20:39 PM EDT
[#19]
There are certain people in this world that are such dense and unresponsive imbeciles that civility to them is mistaken for the vapid idle banter that constitutes the conversations of their lives.

In such cases, there is no substitute for direct and unequivocal hostility.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 12:29:26 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
There are certain people in this world that are such dense and unresponsive imbeciles that civility to them is mistaken for the vapid idle banter that constitutes the conversations of their lives.

In such cases, there is no substitute for direct and unequivocal hostility.

Civility:  I disagree with you because...

Other:  F!ck you you ignorant c!ck sucking a$$ hammering j!zz dripping backwoods a$$clown who should die screaming of nut cancer.

This post is a joke and is not directed at anyone.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Well then quit bitching about it and douche the sand out of your mangina.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you! Seriously.

I'd rather be slammed in jest (see above) or in true hatred towards me all day long - then read one more I-NEED-MY-MOMMY-CAUSE-THEY-IS-MEAN-WAAAAAH Post.......

ARFCOM needs more MEN and less Emo's. This isnt the Internation Male/Metrosexual fruitcake forums.or I could be completely wrong ...............

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:56:54 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You hurt my feelings.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you! Seriously.

I'd rather be slammed in jest (see above) or in true hatred towards me all day long - then read one more I-NEED-MY-MOMMY-CAUSE-THEY-IS-MEAN-WAAAAAH Post.......

ARFCOM needs more MEN and less Emo's. This isnt the Internation Male/Metrosexual fruitcake forums.or I could be completely wrong ...............

Real men are polite.  Whiny is not polite.  You have been the whiniest person posting in this thread so far.  

Bitch.  
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 1:58:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

your not the only one.

No, I am Backwoods Ass!
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:00:31 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 3:03:12 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you! Seriously.

You said "emo".

Emos are ghey fhags.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top