Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2001 9:05:41 PM EDT
Get this....This is so f'ing hilarious I just couldn't help myself.

Was in S.F. CA yesterday for an interview. Well I walk in fill out paperwork. Hand it to the receptionist; she comments on why I left CA for TX. I say well I wanted to do a lil adventuring. Go meet with an HR person, explains benes and such, I was drooling. Comment on me moving to TX again. Go to meet the head trader, he asks why I moved TX from CA again. Goes over the job overview. Then he adds.....get this......"We're really much safer here due to the fact that we have more sensible gun laws. We don't just have anyone carrying guns around"

OK so I try to control myself. Last for about 2 seconds. Then I start chuckling and shaking my head. Then he add "You're not one of those NRA guys are you?" To which I answer, "Why yes, I am and I have quiet an impressive collection of military firearms you should see it sometimes." Well he re-groups and goes thru the motions of the interview which lasted for another 20mins or so.

I don't think I'll be getting a call back. Oh well at least it was a free trip home, got to see family if only for a few hours. Really makes me re-think about going back as a worst case scenario again. Now I'm thinking my worst case scenario is filing for bankruptcy if it gets really bad and I can't find another job. Work as a car salesman as originally planned, and maybe going to culinary school.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:08:08 PM EDT
[#1]
sigh......that's a shame, man.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:11:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Hey at least your getting interviews. All I've been getting is nice one page letters thanking me for my resume.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:13:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Good for you.  Kinda reminds me of a Dilbert cartoon.  His boss says, "A good manager hires people that are smarter than them."  To which he replies, "So your boss is dumber than you.  And his boss is dumber yet.  Unless he is a bad manager.  Either way we are truly doomed."

You just have to ask yourself do you really want to work for somebody that is that ignorant?  
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Could it have been the haircut?
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:15:21 PM EDT
[#5]
I've had three interviews with Morgan Stanley this week.

DAMN they have posh offices.  Huge, too.  The brokers seemed cool, and everyone dresses business casual like it's Friday every day. Very quiet compared to my last brokerage gig, maybe because I was working last in March 2000 at the very top of the bull market, and the market's like a graveyard now.  

It was like a competitive interview with all the final applicants together.  I can't believe I got this far with my honest, unaltered resume. Job's not in the bag by any means.  Hopefully my competitors have records of fraud and drug convictions.......
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:19:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd be glad to see you back here, but not working for them. Thanks for standing up to this a-hole, hope the next interview goes better. But don't be surprised if he calls you back, in typical liberal fashion, he may overlook his beliefs if he thinks you can make some $$$ for him.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:20:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Never to late to change fields.  Hell,  I went back to school just to go back to school.  Only problem is..... no more nickel beer nights.  Friggin' inflation.

Seriously, keep plugging.   Only the strong survive.  Or those with guns and ammo.  [:D]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 9:33:03 PM EDT
[#8]
lordtrader,

Did you ever hear anything about the job in OK?
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 10:07:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bwaahhh hahahahaha!!!!

Aviator [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 10:12:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Have you tried showing them your video?
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 10:57:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 10:59:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 11:02:28 PM EDT
[#13]
LT,

Man I hate to laugh because I feel your pain but that story is HILARIOUS!!!

My wife is giving me funny looks because I'm crying!

Hang in there.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 11:36:20 PM EDT
[#14]
I wouldn't call it goofing.  Let's see, free ride to [red]PRK[/red],  stood up for your rights, just might get a job that could be a stepping stone to working with a better crowd than that jerk....sounds like a good trip to me.

Good luck with the search.  I hope you find something good down there rather than here.

[red][size=4]PRK[/red][/size=4]

Link Posted: 8/2/2001 11:56:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Amen to standing up for your beliefs!!!!

Do everything you can to stay in Texas----PLEASE, I am currently living my dream thru you since I can't leave Cali---YET!!

Hell, I am not a rich man but I will send ya a couple bucks just so you stay.  That way I will still know there is a place left in the USA where a man can still be free!!

sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 12:08:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Ever consider Arizona?
Tons of jobs in the Phoenix Metro area. I just quit a job after 5 years with the company and found another job within 3 days with more potential for growth than my previous job.
Good luck...

John
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 12:09:23 AM EDT
[#17]
what an un-professional POS, for making such comments.
you really didnt want to work in the gay bay?

actually you could of had fun there if you got hired, put a LARGE NRA sticker on the briefcase or in the officer where everyone can see it, read gun mags on the lunch break, tell the fellow employees about your newest gun purchase, wear HK t shirts to the company picnic[:D]
maybe even post the company name, email, phone number here on AR15.com so everyone can call in and say to HIRE LORDTRADER!!!

ya know fun shit like that
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 12:27:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Damn, that sucks.

I was born and raised in the PRK, so I even feel sorry for myself. It's the blame state, after all. I'd leave if SoCal wasn't the best place for my line of work. Plus, I live in one of the last Conservative strongholds left down here. I'm gonna hold down the fort, that's for sure, but I'll retreat if necessary :D
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 12:47:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

And...

he probably saw that BBQ pic and the Imbrog|io chef rendition.

Link Posted: 8/3/2001 2:33:18 AM EDT
[#20]
Ya Know.....It sounds like you were interviewed by David Hineline.  He Hates NRA guys that own any of those assult weapons "toy"!

Did the guy look like this:
[img]http://communities.msn.com/_Secure/0OAAAANcQwgX9j5pYFRRLpkF2gDwuqinYHjD0i8LZzbUwmb5OEkq7ztO812GMUBeq8[/img]

Cause if so, I would work for him eather!!

sgtar15
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 2:58:05 AM EDT
[#21]
And you should have asked him what he would do [b]"WHEN"[/b] some criminal who is not required to register or relinquish his illegal guns,
(Or... Insert weapon of choice here)
Comes and does Whatever his maliscious mind wants to do, to him and his family.
Particularly his wife and daughters.

Some people are soo blind or is it brianwashed.?.

Good for you LT!!
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 3:45:02 AM EDT
[#22]
SGTAR15 I must say that there is no way I could have conducted that interview. First off I would never set foot in California.

Second off I am not as talented as you and do not have the expertise to take something that large up my ass.

I suspect you must be doing stretching excersized when you took that self photo?
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 4:08:03 AM EDT
[#23]
"Then he add "You're not one of those NRA guys are you?" To which I answer, "Why yes, I am and I have quiet an impressive collection of military firearms you should see it sometimes."

Yeah, it went south at that point.  I would have spun the spotlight around on him by asking "Is legal firearms ownership a problem with you and this organization?"  The discussion that would have started from that would have been interesting at least.  

Hope it goes well for you, but I wouldn't expect much.  

Link Posted: 8/3/2001 4:14:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Sorry to hear that....

.....And if you ever open up a restaurant, let me know, I will be there.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 5:00:23 AM EDT
[#25]
My only bit of advice is to work at McDonald's if you have to, but don't file bancruptcy!

I know a guy that did that. He and his wife are unable to get a loan for anything and are miserable. Keep in mind, most things stay on your credit report for 7 years. Those stay for 10...
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 5:06:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Maybe you can try for a job at a martial arts studio.

How about short order cook?
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 5:14:58 AM EDT
[#27]
I thought you were going to follow in the footsteps of Deuce Bigalow.

What happened?
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 5:27:49 AM EDT
[#28]
Dude,
you spoke up and told the truth.  If he discrimated agaist you cause of being a NRA member, I guess it is time to call a lawyer and get some cash money.  
Be glad you did not get the job, why go back to that?  
Come on out to chicago.
c-rock
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 5:29:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 5:46:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
actually you could of had fun there if you got hired, put a LARGE NRA sticker on the briefcase or in the officer where everyone can see it, read gun mags on the lunch break, tell the fellow employees about your newest gun purchase, wear HK t shirts to the company picnic
View Quote

A while back I worked for Home Base (you know...the company out of southern Cali that's just about out of business) and I was made to remove an NRA and Glock sticker from my filing cabinet and personal clipboard. I filed a report to HR stating that this was NOT addressed in the policy and procedures and in no way violated any SOP as it was in a locked office. I got to put them back up!! heheh I quit for a better job about 2 months later.
CS
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 5:54:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lordtrader! I got it! I've got the perfect job for you. Complete culinary school, continue practicing martial arts, move to WA, and you can rent a room from me until you get hired at [b]The Tokyo NINJA[/b] restaurant down the street. Just think man, you can combine a spinning back kick with a dual, 10" chef knife whirling display of crustacean decapitation delight. All for the pleasure of your patrons. Hell, they may even tip you.
CS
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 5:57:38 AM EDT
[#32]
LordTrader, all I can say is the car business has been verry, verry good to me!! You may like it, and getting into a good place is not that hard as a salesperson.  Now a management position can be a bitch, but if you know how to , or learn how to sell and do it well you can go anywhere and make damn good $$$ and have way better hours than any manager!!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 5:59:48 AM EDT
[#33]
LordTrader:

What type of job you looking for?  I know a number of people here in Houston, as well as some headhunters.

By the way, I just got laid off from my company on Wednesday along with 500 other people.  Not fun.  So, I am in the same boat...looking for work.

Shoot me an email with what you are looking for and I will see if I know of any companies or people for you to call.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 6:01:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Lord you have mucho self pride to not go the kiss-ass route and stick up for your values.

I salute you.

Although, it would have been kinda cool to rub it in his face later on after he hired you...
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:10:01 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:19:56 AM EDT
[#36]
That's f*cking funny, but you just had to expect that in SF, where mayor FineSwine ruled, and Willie Brown currently resides.

Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:39:33 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

Nah, My hair finally grew out to the point its not sticking up anymore. I was looking pretty damn good if I might say so. I was even having a good conversation with one of the receptionist.

Quoted:
lordtrader,

Did you ever hear anything about the job in OK?
View Quote

Nothing yet

Quoted:
Ever consider Arizona?
Tons of jobs in the Phoenix Metro area. I just quit a job after 5 years with the company and found another job within 3 days with more potential for growth than my previous job.
Good luck...

John
View Quote

Yes!!! I am definitely looking there. One of the members here is kind enough to let me use his biz addy to put on my resume. That way I can make em think I’m local. The majority of the firm have budget issues. They will not pay for moving cost. So they hire locally only.

Quoted:

actually you could of had fun there if you got hired, put a LARGE NRA sticker on the briefcase or in the officer where everyone can see it, read gun mags on the lunch break, tell the fellow employees about your newest gun purchase, wear HK t shirts to the company picnic[:D]
maybe even post the company name, email, phone number here on AR15.com so everyone can call in and say to HIRE LORDTRADER!!!

ya know fun shit like that
View Quote

Hey I did that at my last firm I worked at in CA. I always brought in pics of my guns and read gun sites. They even blocked this board from our server, got around it though.

Quoted:

View Quote

Been thinking of doing that. There is a school down the street from me that teaches Kenpo. Not exactly the art that I know but same lineage. think I'll give it some more thought to that. I'm waaayyyy out of shape now though. Those pics I posted were about 8yrs ago and 40lbs lighter.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:42:57 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I guess it is time to call a lawyer and get some cash money.  
c-rock
View Quote

Quoted:  Methinks you need to speak to a lawyer.
View Quote

You guys are..... well what is wrong with this country, you think the answer for everything is to run and get a lawyer.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 7:46:53 AM EDT
[#39]
Although I really enjoyed my visit to Carmel & Monterey, you could NOT pay me enough to live in that liberal, communist state.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:13:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Although I really enjoyed my visit to Carmel & Monterey, you could NOT pay me enough to live in that liberal, communist state.
View Quote

You know I miss living there though. First thing I did, since I missed the beach so much, get in my rental car and drive to the beach. Soak in the view. It was wonderful and so peacefull. Then I located the nearest In&Out Burger and had a double double.

If the political climate and gun laws ever change I will definitely drop everything and move back in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:43:07 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I guess it is time to call a lawyer and get some cash money.  
c-rock
View Quote

Quoted:  Methinks you need to speak to a lawyer.
View Quote

You guys are..... well what is wrong with this country, you think the answer for everything is to run and get a lawyer.
View Quote

As opposed to what, punching this guys clock?

You better believe if LT said some off remark concerning guns during the course of business or some colleague with this guy's way of thinking caught him checking out AR15.com at work... They'd have their legal and HR department all over this "threat to a peaceful workplace".

Fuck that, use their tactics against them for once. LT, even if you don't take or get the job, a phone call to the EEOC is in order. I'll even pay the toll.

Happy (gainful employment) hunting, and good luck,
havoc
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#42]
I pick my fights. Suing these guys will do me no good.

1) They are a sizeable asset management firm. They probably have a gang of lawyers.
2) Even if I win, since they are sizeable, there is a chance my name get around in the biz as a trouble maker. Especially in the trading arena. People tend to know people who knows people.

Best thing to do now is just acknowledge and move on.

Oh forgot to add, you guys shoulda seen the look on this yahoo's face when I said "military firearms" It was a combination of fear, indignation, and disgust. I never thought a face could handle that many expressions all at once. I think he went on with the interview cause he feared I was gonna go postal if he didn't. It was freaking hilarious, I thought.
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 9:34:37 AM EDT
[#43]
When asked: "Why did you go to Texas ?"
You can give them several stock answers..
Family Answer: "I have family there."
Put them Off Balance.."Do you have a problem with Texas and Texans ?"

Joke Answer: "I wanted to be a Cowboy".

Link Posted: 8/3/2001 10:45:32 AM EDT
[#44]
the topic of firearms came up with my boss at a job in SF, CA, and he made some jackass comment about 'assault weapons' so I pointed out an assault weapon ban is a restriction on the right of decent people to own reliable, effective tools.  Then he asked me if i had any and I mentioned my garand.  OOPS big mistake.  That job lasted about 3 more weeks, although i was technically 'let go' for 'wearing sandals' and 'being a risky employee' :(
Oh it gets way worse.  Prior to leaving i ordered some cleaning shit from Fulton Armory and a case of M2 Ball from the CMP to work, which my boss had given approval of.  So I talk to HR and they say it would be no problem to pick up my packages after i left.  Well it takes a long time for them to arrive and the day I am going to pick them up, I get a message saying that the X-RAY'ed my packages and found "ammunition and gun paraphenalia" and that my packages had been shipped back, UPS GROUND.  Needless to say, I was inflamed, as nowhere in the corperate policy was there a ban on said items, Firearms yes, but last time i checked, grease is not a firearm.  So I called the HR bitch and she was like, "well your items were against corporate policy".  I was like, "which corporate policy, not the one in place when I worked there" and she said, "your packages were unacceptable and rejected, take it up with the vendor."  I was so pissed, I found out that because of me they "clarified" their policy, ie added un- PC items such as ammo.  

Good thing the job sucked anyway.  PRK sucks in general.

alphabeta121
Link Posted: 8/3/2001 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Lordtrader! I got it! I've got the perfect job for you. Complete culinary school, continue practicing martial arts, move to WA, and you can rent a room from me until you get hired at [b]The Tokyo NINJA[/b] restaurant down the street. Just think man, you can combine a spinning back kick with a dual, 10" chef knife whirling display of crustacean decapitation delight. All for the pleasure of your patrons. Hell, they may even tip you.
CS
View Quote

Someone took my ideas and turned it into a joke?

Pretty damm funny though!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top