Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/2/2001 3:12:27 PM EDT
I have found a SA M1 that is probably the best looking M1 I have ever seen.

I have yet to lay hands on it as it is mounted on pegs out of reach of folks in the guys shop but he says it is all original SA.

The stock looks superb and all metal looks as if it may have the orig parkerizing.  Have yet to verify the serial # or parts content so I don't know for sure if it is all SA or that all parts are correct for year of mfg.

Guy is asking $1150.00.

I know the M1 is becoming scarce and I paid $575.00 last year for a very nice SA shooter with mostly SA parts although it was arsenal re-worked in the late 60's and was part of the lend-lease deal.  I am not M1 ignorant but not fluent either.

If this rifle is all original with correct parts and cartouched stock etc etc is it worth $1150.00?

Link Posted: 8/2/2001 3:17:38 PM EDT
[#1]
It depends.

If it's all original and new, it sounds too good to be true.

Springfield Armory also made new M1 Garands in the 1980's for commercial sales.

Check those serial numbers.

I guess it could be U.S.G.I., gotta be careful though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 3:20:03 PM EDT
[#2]
If it is all original, it is wort more than what he is asking.  I'd bet it was a rebuild at sometime or someone replaced the parts with SA parts. If that is the case I'd only go $850-$1,000 max.  Find out as much as you can.  Get Scott Duff's book.  Good Luck.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 3:37:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Springfield Armory M1, ser 4115XX. All 100% original, and in VG cond. Bought in '78, and sleeps in storage back in Canada, as you can't own any semi autos here. When I get over to Canada, I always run a few clips out of 'her'. She's a beaut. A real classic.

Thanks to Garandman on the yr of manuf (Dec 41).
If you get that M1, and its fair dinkum, hang on to it, as there is a lot of shit out there.

Good Luck!
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 4:20:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Too much $$$$$........Keep looking!......[:)]
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have a Springfield Armory M1, ser 4115XX. All 100% original, and in VG cond.

Good Luck!
View Quote

Thats interesting.  My own M1 is in that range @ # 4301XX and was made in Jan 42'.

I love it because of the fact that it was made after the Japs bombed Pearl........think thats kinda neat.
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 7:12:57 PM EDT
[#7]
As others have said, take a Duff book with you when you get to examine it . I can,t recall how many times I've gone to look at M1's that the owners have claimed to be original and unfired to find a post war 1960's rebuilds ! or Korean import clunkers ! Also beware of good restorations being passed off as original. If it is a true orig WW2 SA than the price isn't to bad, Depending on serial #.
TAN.....
Link Posted: 8/2/2001 7:19:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top