Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2001 3:13:51 PM EDT
I live in Texas and am trying to buy a preban from out of state.  All the FFL dealers here (three so far) say that not only must I go through them (knew that), but also that the party I am purchasing from must go through one on his end. My qusetion is is it necessary, in an out of state transfer, for the rifle to go through an FFL from the state it is coming from and through an FFL in the state it is going to?  
Thanks in advance for your help.
LooterJ Out.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 3:24:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes (that's what I've always believed.)  If you find a seller (say on GunsAmerica.com) and he/she does not have an FFL, they have to go to a 'local' FFL holder to ship the gun.  It's federal regs.

The seller tells you who the FFL who's gonna ship for them.  You tell the dealer that's gonna receive for you the FFL's name and the receiving FFL mails a copy of their FFL to the seller's dealer.
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 3:29:32 PM EDT
[#2]
I,ve sold several(personal collection) out of state just need FFL from buyer not seller although a few FFL,s said incorrectly they must receive FFL from seller. One in Kali (Stockton Gun Exchange) actually held rifle for about six weeks until finally giving in to common sense and law. I now always make sure buyer,s FFL will receive shipment from private individual.ATF web site covers this issue if you need it email me. Goodluck
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 3:50:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Seller doesn't have to go through an FFL. Just has to have a copy of the receiving dealers FFL and ship to FFL address. (Or everyone I know does it wrong)
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 4:46:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you all for your help on this matter I was wondering what was up.

Later,
LooterJ
Link Posted: 2/19/2001 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Man let me tell you about DUMB A$$ dealers. My local dealer was souposed to do 2 transfers for me. 1 for a SAR-1 and the other for a Pre-ban AR. Went in there 4 days apart to have them ship out there FFL. The first one the SAR-1 they told me they maied out the same day I mailed the money to the guy. 5 days after he recived the money and 12 days after they said they mailed it. I went in there to ask what was up sense he had not recived the FFL yet. Sense the other guy for the AR had already recived the copy I was worried. They told me that they were not going to mail a copy for the SAR1 sense the guy was not a FFL. But the AR guy was a FFL. So I argued with them telling them it was legal for them to do it, and they argued back with me. And it got pretty heated betwen us. I told them it was legal to do so and I have done it severl times. And then they told me they would not recive the AR which the guy had all ready to ship that day so My AR should be there tommorow and they will not accept delivery of it so now I have to wait even longer for the guns. Then the FFL gets on the phone to the local ATF office and tells them I am selling guns illigaly ( I am not of course) and the ATF guys agrees with him that you can not do sell with out a FFL on both ends. So now I have to worry about ATF coming to harass me unless they figure out there own Damn law. Now I am pissed because It has been 3 weeks and the guys have had my money for over 2 weeks and the new FFL I am using mailed out his copy today so by the time I get my guns a month will have passed. I wish dealers would learn as much about the law as they do pretending they know about guns ( most around here dont know jack). Now this jerk who ccalled ATF on me has to answer to my lawer for making false accusations aginst me. I kinda hope the ATF harasses me because If they do I might just wind up owning his little po-dunk shop. And then ATF will have to answer to why they were harrassing me for Not breaking a law of theres. Sorry for the rant but man this Pi$$es me off.
Link Posted: 2/20/2001 5:02:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Federal law does not require the sender to have an FFL, but be sure and check state law.  For instance, if the seller is in California and the rifle is an "assault weapon" under California law, it must be sent by a California dealer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top