Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/24/2001 4:46:19 PM EDT
I was looking at my Bushmaster Firearms magazine this morning, when I came across a very mnd-boggling question. Say you have an AR-15, and you buy a muzzle brake for it. If you turn the muzzle break to push the muzzle down, but the muzzle regularly goes up, does it move at all?? Not really serious, just wondering.

Mikie
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:50:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I would really like to try and answer this question, but I cannot translate exactly what this sentence is supposed to mean. Maybe its just me though.

"If you turn the muzzle break to push the muzzle down, but the muzzle regularly goes up, does it move at all??"

Michael
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:50:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:51:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:52:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By The Beer Slayer:
good god how many mikes do we have on this site

mike
View Quote

Dunno, Ill ask.

Michael
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:53:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks slayer, I meant back, but usually, it seems like it goes up. Did you say it stays head on flat??

Mikie

We have too many mikes.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:54:01 PM EDT
[#6]
rifle muzzles normally climb during recoil and muzzle breaks vent gas up (like a retro rocket on a space ship) the are designed to vent enough gas to keep the barrel on target during recoil.

if you turn the break upside down (so the vents point down) the gun will recoil more and if your shooting prone it will blow sand and grip all over the gun.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:54:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I dunno either.....but yooooz gyz stay away from Pop Rocks.   [:D]

Dave S

Don't know how many Daves, either.  But, we can eat Pop Rocks and live to shoot ARs.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:57:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Told ya it might just be me.....[smoke]

Sometimes when I stay on the net for many hours at a time things that should make sense don't anymore.

I do understand what he was asking now.

Michael
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 4:59:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Uhhh,what?
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:00:27 PM EDT
[#12]
actually the muzzle moves back not up. and the brake on my armlite keeps mine dead on.

mike
View Quote

I like my ArmaLite muzzle brake also.  I have the MINI-Y Comp on my BM M4, but like the Armalite brake better.

OSA
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:01:09 PM EDT
[#13]
I know, it seems complicated, but it really isn't. The muzzle brake is made to lessen or remove the recoil when a rifle is fired. I was thinking that if you had it just right, if it would stay perfectly still.

Mikie
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:02:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:03:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:05:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I would like to find a pre-ban AR so i could put a sound suppresor on it for nighttime shooting. I know it reduces accuracy and velocity, but it works for the neighborhood nighttime. Only problem, can't fit a brake and a suppresor both.

Mikie
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I know, it seems complicated, but it really isn't. The muzzle brake is made to lessen or remove the recoil when a rifle is fired. I was thinking that if you had it just right, if it would stay perfectly still.

Mikie
View Quote

Maybe this would be feasible on a bolt action? Would be harder to keep it completely still on an auto because then you have the bolt movement to deal with as well.

Would be pretty cool to have a rifle that didn't move when you shot it.

Why hasn't somebody invented this yet?

Michael
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:08:51 PM EDT
[#18]
shhhhhhh. you're giving my idea away to everyone. I figure I might as well try.

Mikie
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:09:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
rifle muzzles normally climb during recoil and muzzle breaks vent gas up (like a retro rocket on a space ship) the are designed to vent enough gas to keep the barrel on target during recoil.

if you turn the break upside down (so the vents point down) the gun will recoil more and if your shooting prone it will blow sand and grip all over the gun.
View Quote

as i understand it rifles move back directly in line with the rifle. if the barrell is level the rifle directly rearward. The muzzle rises due to the grip on the rifle. looking at my brake it vents gas out the sides agled rearward evenly.

I'm not an expert just my understanding of how it works

mike
View Quote

OH MAN! I forgot the pistol grip acts as a moment arm.  My college physics professor will kill me.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:12:27 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:13:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 5:22:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 6:01:11 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

as i understand it rifles move back directly in line with the rifle. if the barrell is level the rifle directly rearward. The muzzle rises due to the grip on the rifle. looking at my brake it vents gas out the sides agled rearward evenly.

I'm not an expert just my understanding of how it works

mike
View Quote

OH MAN! I forgot the pistol grip acts as a moment arm.  My college physics professor will kill me.
View Quote

Yup.  If you were placing the buttstock against your shoulder, and holding the rest of the gun only by your left arm (on the handgaurd), it would be a truly linear system of movement.  However, when you add pressure on the grip, which is under the "line of action" (I forget what the word I'm looking for is), you will create a small moment upon the point of your hand, bumping the gun up a bit during firing.

The only way to have a gun that "does not move" at all is to divert the ENTIRE pressure of the bullet back on the bolt.  Since pressure is caused AFTER, and not DURING firing (b/c it takes a small time for the gas to come back and hit the bolt), you feel the pressure.  Even then, all that bolt pressure will but pressure on the spring/buffer, which will in turn be redirected to the buttstock and your shoulder.  You would have to be moving forward at a certain acceleration, dependant on body weight, to have the gun, in one instantaneous moment of time, "not move" - although I doubt you could either visibly see or calculate this level of acceleration.  Until then, you can only control the Sine of the bullet's vector (muzzle rise), not the Cosine (backwards recoil) through brakes or compensators.  Nice try though.

[brown]Evil Jewbroni~[/brown]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 6:15:36 PM EDT
[#24]
WOW!......That guy sure does a LOT of readin`!.............[:)]
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 7:02:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I would like to find a pre-ban AR so i could put a sound suppresor on it for nighttime shooting. I know it reduces accuracy and velocity, but it works for the neighborhood nighttime. Only problem, can't fit a brake and a suppresor both.

Mikie
View Quote

Hmm, now this raises interesting questions. AW ban had nothing about sound suppresors, so it should be perfectly legal to have one on a post-ban gun (assuming the suppressor itself is legal and reg'ed) but you gotta have a threaded
barrel to attach it and it's illegal to have a threaded barrel cause you could use it to mount a flash suppresor, wonder if a different thread pitch or something would be legal? I wouldn't even ask them. wonder if there is a fully suppresed barrel for AR? Not that I have the money..or a sherrif who'd sign for it but I like dreaming.
Link Posted: 7/24/2001 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top