Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 7/20/2001 9:05:45 AM EDT
Im not talking just about the first 14 Amendments either. Im talking about all the "little" things that so many of us take for granted. Like shopping at Wal-Mart, a lot of people in the world will never see such a place where food and clothing is to be had. Our Malls would be a thing of wonder to some poor kid from an orphanage in some other country. I asked a young man today who was going to jail on a shoplifting charge if he knew that this charge could keep him from ever joining the military. His answer was so I never planned on going into the military its not for me. I asked him if our country was being invaded would he join then? His answer shocked me he said that if we were invaded it would be a good thing because it would make America a beter place. To live under a new and better goverment. I asked him if he enjoyed his freedom of speach his answer was that it was a dumb law and that writing on a peice of paper dosnt keep his mouth from working either way. I just dont know I love this country but why do our children think this way.. I was at a family reunion in the begining of July when the subject of the military came up (because my wife cusin is going to the Corps)he was called stupid by his other cusins because he would always have to take orders from somebody. (like you dont have to take order if you work at wal-mart) End rant.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 3:34:29 PM EDT
There are two reasons for this: One, we haven't had "hard times" since the end of World War II. Hard times separate the weak-willed from the resilient. Two, we aren't teaching our children ANYTHING useful. Not English, not mathematics, not geography, not science, and most especially not history and civics. It started in the 1950's and has been getting progressively worse as each successive generation enters the workforce. I'm not saying that NO ONE gets an education, but fewer and fewer do each year. If you've ever watched Jay Leno's "Jaywalking" bits on the Tonight Show, understand that he doesn't have to work hard to find these morons, and most of them are probably registered to vote. Understand, ignorance is [b]not[/b] bliss, it's destroying out country. Stupidity, for some reason, has become "hip". Honor, duty, and sacrifice are ridiculed. We've become a nation of instant gratification. Those of us who still hold a good value system have finally become outnumbered by the others. And the others vote. And I don't see any way to reverse the trend.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 3:44:36 PM EDT
Originally Posted By KBaker: Understand, ignorance is [b]not[/b] bliss, it's destroying out country. Stupidity, for some reason, has become "hip". Honor, duty, and sacrifice are ridiculed. We've become a nation of instant gratification.
View Quote
Not to mention political correctness. If I say something that is out of line I expect you to call me on it, but don't expect me to try to figure out whether or not some whiny ass somewhere [b]migh[/b] be offended by what I say. The First Amendment doesn't just protect you right to freedom of speech, it also means you have the right to be offended by anyone, and then confront them about it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 3:54:42 PM EDT
"Bill of NO Rights, Article II":
You do not have the right to never be offended. This country is based on freedom, and that means freedom for everyone -- not just you! You may leave the room, turn the channel, express a different opinion, etc., but the world is full of idiots, and probably always will be.
View Quote
That about says it all when it comes to Political Correctness.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 3:56:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By KBaker: That about says it all when it comes to Political Correctness.
View Quote
Yup. (Where are you in AZ?)
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 4:00:23 PM EDT
I have to agree with you. It isn't going good for the younger generation which I am a part of. I thank my parents for raising me with a sence of honor and dignity. I thank those whom I have met that served in the armed forces. They have taught me much about respecting this country. It has instilled in me the attitude that if it were ever neccicary I would lay down my life for this country.
Link Posted: 7/20/2001 4:16:42 PM EDT
Top Top