Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/27/2001 1:09:43 PM EDT
  Does anyone know the shelf life of Coleman fuel? I was looking through some of my dusty camping supplies and came across a few gallons of this stuff from about 2 yrs ago. I wouldn't want to use it if it bad and may just replace it because it is pretty inexpensive. But if it is ok to use then it will save me a trip to the store! Thanks.

Brian
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 1:14:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Its just low grade gas.It does not have the antiknock addatives.Matter of fact most stoves and latern you can just use no-lead gas.Its probaly ok.

Most NEWER stoves and lanterns.Just remembered because I have a old red one like Ernest P Whorl.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a can of coleman white gas, is this what you have?  Well I've had it for 10 years and it still burns in the stove.  Regular gas must have more impurities which is why it goes bad.

Recently I've switched to Iso-butane, much lighter for packing.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 2:01:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ARMALITE FAN:
Its just low grade gas.
View Quote

Actually, I thought it was a more refined, higher grade cut. I've been working on the same can of Coleman Fuel (white gas) for about 9 or 10 years myself. Still works just fine.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 2:05:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 2:05:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks guys. What is the difference between white gas and coleman fuel? You are going to make go look at the can aren't you! I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't hurt the stove or lantern.

Brian
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 2:11:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Regular gas must have more impurities which is why it goes bad.
View Quote

Before Y2K there was a long discussion on Frugals about fuel storage. What happens with regular gas is that it breaks down and gets attacked by bacteria. The colonies can be seen by whitish strands in the fuel. The max shelf life of unleaded is somewhere around 6 months before it starts to degrade, 1 year if you add a stabilizer like STABIL.

I used some 6 and 8 month unpreserved unleaded and it seemed to work ok, but then again I was mixing 5 gal of stored with 10 gal of new.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 2:12:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
Quoted:
Regular gas must have more impurities which is why it goes bad.
View Quote

Before Y2K there was a long discussion on Frugals about fuel storage. What happens with unleaded gas is that it breaks down and gets attacked by bacteria. The colonies can be seen by whitish strands in the fuel. The max shelf life of unleaded is somewhere around 6 months before it starts to degrade, 1 year if you add a stabilizer like STABIL.

I used some 6 and 8 month unpreserved unleaded and it seemed to work ok, but then again I was mixing 5 gal of stored with 10 gal of new.
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Coleman fuel is naptha, not gasoline.  I've used it up to 5 years old without hassle.  Use your filter-funnel gizmo & you should be fine.

hanko
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 4:08:37 PM EDT
[#10]
me and some friends were camping and we got our fire rained out, in a abandoned trailer we found a campstove to cook on, it hadent been toughed for at least 10 years. had half a tank of fuel. it worked for to meals. then it got a little "f"ed up. but the fuel worked fine
Link Posted: 6/27/2001 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks guys. What is the difference between white gas and coleman fuel?
View Quote

They both work in my truck. The local Hazmat site gives stuff away and they usually have lots of camp stove & lantern fuel on hand. My 4.3L Chevy V6 runs fine on it and it beat paying $2.01 a gallon for unleaded.

PS..
Naptha works too but my car pool partner wishes I wouldnt run it in the truck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top