Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/24/2001 5:26:04 PM EDT
Ludwig Van Beethoven

The Master of all Music...

He may have lost his hearing,but he was always in touch with his Heart. What a Genius!!!

IMHO, He would have conducted his werks with an M14 in mind , using an AR-15 as his wand...

[%(]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 5:31:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Classical music sucks.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 5:36:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Bach's Tocatta and Fugue in D minor always gives me the chills, especially when played with enthusiasm.
I also have a weak spot for Rachmaninov.
[:)]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 5:37:42 PM EDT
[#4]
And to think he considered himself inferior to Mozart, as Brahms considered himself inferior to Beethoven. Historically, the death of Beethoven is considered the end of the Classical period. That in itself is a great compliment.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 5:39:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I have occasionally (once in a blue moon) listened to classical music but for the most part it's only Rock & Roll and I like it, like it Yes I do! "Rolling Stone's"

John
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Ahh yes!!!

Movie Soundtracks is the only thing that Hollywood gets right.

[b]Glory[/b]
[b]Brave Heart[/b]
[b]LeMans[/b]
and of course
[b]Mozart[/b]

To name a few...
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 5:49:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Classical music sucks.
View Quote

You Sir,
Have insulted me...

Choose your weapon & I will give you 30 paces...

Turn and shoot Gentleman [pistol]

[O:)]

I did win didn't I... Why do I hear Harps???

Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Beethoven, Bach, Mozart and Gorecki. Also, "classical" bagpipes, fifes and drums. "Scotland the Brave" and "Amazing Grace" are enough to make my skin prickle, and enough bagpipe music is a surefire perscription for tears in my eyes. Partly heritage, partly just the power of the music washing over me.

Juggernaut[%(]

"Scots wa' hae wi' Wallace bled", and all that jazz...
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:13:02 PM EDT
[#9]
1) Ride of the Valkyries (Apocalypse Now)
2) Fanfare For The Common Man (Beef Commercial)
3) Beethoven's 5Th (Clockwork Orange)

Most of the great classical has been used by Hollywood, so often I just buy movie soundtracks to get it.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:13:40 PM EDT
[#10]
No one type of music is better than another. It's all self-expression. Some are harder to play than others, but technical difficulties only matter with TV sets, not music. :^)

"There are two kinds of music: good music and bad music. The first is the kind you like, the second is the kind you don't like."
- --EDWARD "DUKE" ELLINGTON
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:14:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:23:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm a blues and jazz man myself, but on occasion I listen to a little clasical music.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:24:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Was begining to think nobody was going to mention Wagner.  "Ride of the Valkyries" is just so cool.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I don't listen enough to my classical collection, but whenever I do I regret all the time I've wasted listening to popular music on the radio.
View Quote

What you said! I've been starting to feel that way lately about pop as well. What was that line John Cusack said in "High Fidelity"? "Am I listening to pop music because I'm messed up, or am I messed up from listening to pop music?" <:^O

loud germans screaming at the top of their lungs to awesome music ....  absolutely sublime.[:D]
View Quote

You are referrink, perhapz, to ze Skorpions, mein Herr? :^)

(only kidding :^) ) .......
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 6:51:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:13:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Mozart, Wagner, Chopin, Bach, Beethoven ETC...
AYE Juggernaut, I too love the pipes !!!
Scottish military tattoo(pipes and drums)
[%(]

Then the DARK SIDE !!!!
Metallica, Megadeth, AC/DC, White Zombie, Black Sabbath, OZZY, Motorhead ETC......
[x]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:23:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Butkus 51:
Mozart, Wagner, Chopin, Bach, Beethoven ETC...
AYE Juggernaut, I too love the pipes !!!
Scottish military tattoo(pipes and drums)
[%(]

Then the DARK SIDE !!!!
Metallica, Megadeth, AC/DC, White Zombie, Black Sabbath, OZZY, Motorhead ETC......
[x]
View Quote

Tattoo is good...

AC/DC must [b] DIE[/b]    [heavy]

Sorry, Just a pet-peeve...
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:29:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Classical music has the ability to soothe the savage beast, and then in short order create a mood that would carry a man into battle with blood pumping overtime to the music.

Nothing can compare to the scene in Apocalypse Now when the Huey's began there move toward the target, and the sounds of Wagner (Flight of the Valkyries) began playing.

There have been studies which show that exposure to classical music will enhance the mental abilities of those who listen to it.

If this is the case, then the kids who listen to the music of today must suffer from a dramatic drop in intelligence.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:29:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Hey Juggernaut, or anyone...
Where is a good place to buy cd's or videos of pipe and drums ? I remember seeing a hour long video of the annual scottish Tattoo's but dont recall where to get them.
[%(]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:35:04 PM EDT
[#20]
There are actually quite a few great composers who are alive today. It's just that their music is not known to the general public.

One I know personally is Wayne Peterson, whom I studied music composition under while in college. That was during my prior life as a musician, which has since devolved into a computer software engineering geekdom due to financial reasons.

[url]www.stokar.com/peterson.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 7:44:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 8:03:49 PM EDT
[#22]
I write classical music for pleasure. No MP3s to share the sounds yet but I will have them soon.
-Chuck

most of it sounds like movie soundtracks

love taking Hymns and arranging them for orchestra. I love alternative rock and country more though.
[sniper]
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 8:29:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Some, I like the soundtrack from "somewhere in time"
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 8:36:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Classical music sucks.
View Quote

I guess you prefer the musical stylings of Sisqo & Vanilla Ice.  [%|]

Check out the following, you'd be surprised:

Mozart: Amadeus Soundtrack
Beethoven: Immortal Beloved Soundtrack
John Williams: Star Wars (sounds like Wagner)
Wagner: Soundtrack to Excalibur
Carl Orff: Carmina Burana (O Fortuna)
Gustav Holst: The Planets (Mars & Jupiter)
Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Some of these could be called music to shoot by.
I too, enjoy most of the great ones mentioned on these threads, but I have one more to add.  
It takes a while to listen to the whole thing, but Ravel's "Bolero" is truly one of my favorites.  I like to turn it way up until the house reverberates  and get the full effect of every measure.
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 9:14:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It takes a while to listen to the whole thing, but Ravel's "Bolero" is truly one of my favorites.  I like to turn it way up until the house reverberates  and get the full effect of every measure.
View Quote

Yeah, I do that with the "The great gate at Kiev" from Moussorgsky's "Pictures At An Exhibition". It's perfect for blasting.

As far as the Ravel, every time I hear Bolero I picture Dudley Moore trying to get Bo Derek and I start laughing. :)
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 9:23:46 PM EDT
[#27]
The composition that begins "O' Fortuna, velut luna" is Carmina Burana.  Lyrics were found in a 13th century monastery at Beuren (Bavaria?)  Music was composed in 1936 by Wolfgang Sawalich (sp?).
Quite widely used.

marsh
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 9:55:04 PM EDT
[#28]
no mention of Franz Liszt ? or paganini ?
Link Posted: 6/24/2001 10:05:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Bach, renaissance Italians, late Classical, early Romantic. Gershwin is good, but then so are the Rolling Stones, Pink Floyd, Creedence Clearwater, The Who, Merle Haggert, Hank Williams, Bob Wills and The Texas Playboys, Jimmy Buffet, Elton John . . .

That 20th Cent. Eastern European stuff sux.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 3:44:16 AM EDT
[#30]
I like Bach and Vivaldi.
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 4:22:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
That 20th Cent. Eastern European stuff sux.
View Quote

I hope you don't include Bela Bartok in that category! :) He was great.

It's probably safe to say that the 20th century represented a move away from music that is readily approachable, and understandable, to the masses. A lot of people can handle Stravinsky and Copeland, but Shoenberg, Webern, and Berg can illicit outright hostility in some people. he he
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 4:35:17 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm really impressed with the number of people on the site who are both into and knowlegeable about the classics.  Makes me feel really good.

Oh yeah, my own favorites:
Almost anything on the classical guitar
Almost any baroque
Johan Sebastian Bach
Carmina Burana
Delta Blues
Good Bluegrass
Irish Folk, especially the Rebel songs I learned as a kid
Israeli Folk, especially the Rebel songs I learned as a kid
Link Posted: 6/25/2001 8:35:25 AM EDT
[#33]
I prefer the concerto works of Bach and Mozart.  I find the later classical and romatic period music overwhelming with too many instruments and sounds.  Went to the L.A. Bach festival once and listened to a 14 member orchestra playing on orginal Baroque period instruments.  I was about 10 feet away.  All the rock concerts I have been too don't even come close to hearing Bachs 5th brandenburg that night.  As far as gunho classical, my favorite is the Riders of Doom, the piece in Conan the Barbarian when Dooms soldiers attack Arnolds village.  Much more intense than the Ride of the Valkyries in Apacolypse Now
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top