Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2001 6:06:03 PM EDT
I almost can't believe the TV commercial I just saw! A primetime ad (Lilly) for a new weekly Prozac. This is a drug that's been involved in a disproportionately high percentage of this country's "mass murder" cases in the last 15 or so years. They depicted Prozac users as being so full of life and happy. What a joke to take a drug that is overprescribed by many shrinks and "sell" it this way! I know there may be some folks that are helped by Prozac but the truth about it's negative affects also needs to be told, but hey, anything for a dollar. I know of one former Prozac user (an old FFL aquaintance!) who tried the drug and had to discontinue it's use because it put him "near the edge". I've heard most users problems generally occur when it's quit cold turkey. Primetime, what a joke!
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:29:54 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:34:18 PM EDT
There is talk now about a bill to disallow public advertising of prescription drugs. it probably will happen since the distribution of these products are controlled. prozac seems to have been often misprescribed, at least from some of the stories i`ve heard...so you have to wonder, who are those ads aimed at, and what`s up with a lot of these doctors?????..[smoke]
Link Posted: 6/22/2001 6:56:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By black&green: There is talk now about a bill to disallow public advertising of prescription drugs.
View Quote
I've got to wonder how many lawmakers own stock/take donations from the drug companies. It's a big money business with a lot of political clout. My guess is the ads will continue for some time.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 3:49:20 AM EDT
You may be right! I still wonder why our labor union seems to find it necessary to advertise publicly.....it is civil service, and not like anyone could just join up....i guess for similar reasons that you state, or connection with media types....still an unecessary spending of union $$$...........[whacko]
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 5:32:27 AM EDT
Let me preface my response with a little background. Depression... I mean [i]clinically diagnosed depression[/i]... runs in my family. My real problem with it reared it's head about 6 years ago... oddly about the time I got married... hmmmm... [:P] But I digress... [:D] I was eventually diagnosed a year or two later. I went through a year and a half of psychotherapy combined with Prozac... yes, [i]Prozac[/i]... The medication is intended to be given in order to alleviate symptoms of depression (I liken it to a chemical 'cocoon') so that the patient can work through issues and learn coping skills in therapy. In my case, I came off the medication and therapy over two years ago and am doing very well. I can recognize now when I am feeling a bit "off" and know what to do to prevent it from becoming a full-scale downslide. I completely agree that medications of all sorts are misused but I think that the backlash against Prozac and anti-depressants has been extreme.
Originally Posted By ipschoser1: This is a drug that's been involved in a disproportionately high percentage of this country's "mass murder" cases in the last 15 or so years.
View Quote
I would really be interested to see your documentation supporting this. I don't deny that there have been episodes of violent behaviour in patients taking Prozac but those impulses were generally preexisting... a depressed person, however, doesn't have the energy or focus to act on the thoughts. Blame the person, know what I mean?
What a joke to take a drug that is overprescribed by many shrinks and "sell" it this way! I know there may be some folks that are helped by Prozac..
View Quote
If you are interested in this field there is a book called "Listening to Prozac" that is wonderful. The doctor who wrote it goes through the history of anti-depressants, how Prozac was developed and how it works. The fact that Prozac works on the re-uptake inhibitors means that it can be effective in treating a range of psychological afflictions - from major depression to general social anxiety. And [i]that's[/i] where the ethical question lies.... if Prozac could make a wallflower feel like a social butterfly, should it be withheld simply because shyness is not a severe enough diagnosis??
I've heard most users problems generally occur when it's quit cold turkey.
View Quote
I quit cold turkey. Actually my prescription was running out and I elected not to renew it. Physically, the worst were the headaches and slight dizziness.. same as getting on the meds. The real disphoria was from experiencing a full range of emotions again... and dealing with them. I felt kind of raw and exposed. I know this was a long post but this is a personal topic to me... in part because if someone had told me when I was struggling that I couldn't "fix" myself and that it was okay to get help, I wouldn't have felt so ashamed and would have addressed the issue long before I did.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 5:57:19 AM EDT
My wife has MS. She takes one Prozac pill a day to quell some MS symptoms. I'm thankfull that it's there for her.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 6:02:35 AM EDT
I think my older brother takes a lot of Prozac. I think I should tell him about this because he has had enough problems in his life, I don't think I would be able to handle seeing him all depressed again. Thanks for posting this ipschoser1.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 6:56:18 AM EDT
Anti depressants have their place, but Prozac IS over prescribed - nad hideously expensive. Miss M the Scientologists (I know not the most reliable source) did an extensive, documented study on Prozac and did find in a very small # of users, suicidal and homicidal tendencies were produced. Had a very extensive discussion with my doc re: Prozac, his comment was that Prozac is for lethargic depression, and if given to someone prone to angry depression (like me) it can produce a homicidal maniac. I am on Paxil, (primarily for long - term pain management) and it does alter the personality to the point that I have greatly reduced the dosage. Drugs like this are nothing to fool with, aiming the advertising at the end user rather than the physician is noth short of criminal negligence.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 7:43:57 AM EDT
Originally Posted By MDS: My wife has MS. She takes one Prozac pill a day to quell some MS symptoms. I'm thankfull that it's there for her.
View Quote
I wish you and your wife the best, MDS.
Link Posted: 6/23/2001 8:05:17 AM EDT
Yo Miss Magnum---Go to Google and do search on 1--Prozac Murders 2--Joseph Wesbecker Lots of interesting reading...!
Top Top