Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2001 7:58:49 AM EDT
Ok, after reading and searching and asking tons of questions, I would like to hear from those of you who actually have and or used one of the new A2 style breaks. The 4 I am interested in are
Cavcomp
Gunsmoke
Kurts Kustom
Wilsons
Which one looks Closest to the A2, which matches the existing finish the best, which performs the best etc. etc..So how about some observations ? ....
Come on, share with the other children!!!
51 out....
[x]

Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:08:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I have the Wilson and it works great, looks great. The finish matched my postban Bushmaster near perfect and it came with a letter stating it was batf approved. It does have the Wilson name neatly engraved on the bottom - if that bothers you. I have no experience with the others but I might try a Cavcomp or Gunsmoke because they are here on ar15.com and the price is a little better. From a few feet away it looks like an A2.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:11:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:19:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 8:51:08 AM EDT
[#4]
I have Gunsmoke's new short, 3 slot muzzle brake at the end of my barrel. I like the way it works, and Ed has 4 slot brakes if you want to go with the birdcage look. Works great at keeping the gun level when letting whole mags go fast, but like all brakes it will be louder.

Gunsmoke gets my vote
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 9:44:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The correct spelling of the word is "brake", not "break".  In the words of Col. Jeff Cooper, "Sloppy language promotes sloppy thinking".
View Quote

Geesh, now we have to deal with the spelling police. Did you correct his spelling for him mother?

I think KKF's brake looks the best.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 9:59:04 AM EDT
[#6]
I like the way they look but if the shooter next to you certainly doesn't like they way they SOUND.

Looks cool but come on, does an AR really need a muzzle brake?

I think a flash suppressor would actually be more usefull, too bad I read they are illegal.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 10:03:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Which one of the four is the quietest?

G45
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 10:18:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 10:26:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Tanks fur duh halp rafff, ooups i done spallid it wrung soooreey
[whacko]
I would love to have a flash suppressor but untill I can afford a preban i just want something that looks cool
51 out....
[x]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 10:30:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Here is the one I'm interested in.  Anyone have any experiance with these.  To me, this looks about as close to an A2 flash hider as you can get.  Wilson is 2nd on looks IMO.

[img]www.brownells.com/images/products/296201017.jpg[/img]

MUZZLE BRAKES & COMPENSATORS FOR POST-BANS
[b]EGW[/b]

Looks nearly identical to the standard issue, A2 flash hider but helps control recoil and muzzle flip. Lets you keep the original, military appearance but enjoy less felt recoil and a faster follow-up shot. Solid area on bottom of comp eliminates dust signature for more comfortable prone shooting. Requires indexing, includes peel washer.
SPECS: Steel, blue, matte finish. 13/4" (4.4cm) long, 3/4" (19mm) diameter, 1/2"-28 tpi.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 10:38:42 AM EDT
[#11]
oops, I forgot one other question, I see wilson has an approval letter. Do any of the others have one ? Do they need one or is it buyer beware. sounds like a CYA issue
thanks
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 10:49:15 AM EDT
[#12]
muzzle brake on a poodle shooter?? LOL.  ill tell ya one thing, they are LOUD!!!, as in your ears will still ring with plugs in. do anyone else you go shooting with a favor and get a FS or bare muzzle. just my $.02
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Muzzle brakes...We don't need no stinkin muzzle brakes.
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 12:01:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Kurt put a Kurt's Kustom on my 20" Bushmaster.  It looks GOOD and cuts down on muzzle rise.  Muzzle noise does not appear to be much different(I havn't noticed either has anyone else in the area).

All in all, I would recommend Kurt's Kustom.  I got my upper back from Kurt 3 weeks after I mailed it to him(from Oregon).

Spambo
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 12:06:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone have a factory installed Bushmaster brake? I'd be curious to know about its effect on accuracy. How long does Bushmaster take to turn this installation around?
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 12:36:55 PM EDT
[#17]
I have Wilson and Cav Arms brakes. Both work very well for rapid fire muzzle stabilization even on light (M4) rifles. Having used or been around the Smith, JP, AK, Y-comp, etc I can tell you these two are much quieter. They seem to help considerably with muzzle flash problems associated with postban carbines. I know they aren't supposed to reduce flash but they do certainly redirect it and tame the BRILLIANT blinding white of a plain barrel carbine (and ones using most other brakes). The flash duration seems shorter also. I've tried them side by side with A2 FS equipped prebans and there's not that much difference! My preban (rifle) sports a Cav Comp!
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 12:51:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Can someone please post ontact info for the various manufacturers of these A2 style brakes for those of us who do not know. Thanks in Advance.

Aviator
Link Posted: 6/4/2001 3:38:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top