Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2001 3:05:27 PM EDT
Dude, we are having the most insane rash of "oxycontin" busts around here lately. It's been going on for like the past 6 months.
Drug stores have been getting robbed weekly, and the robbers are hitting just the OC's.Its been a feature story on the local news a couple of times too.

It is now the drug of choice amongst the 15-25 year old rave crowd.

is this a nationial thing>??
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#1]
int that the stuff you use on your face for pimples?
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 3:13:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 3:15:20 PM EDT
[#3]
it's big in ohio too.mmk
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 3:18:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Really, what is it?
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 3:22:45 PM EDT
[#5]
The problem was reported up here this spring, too.

Oxycontin's a powerful narcotic painkiller.  Used as directed, it has a time-release that spreads the dosage over several hours.  Doctors give it for severe and chronic pain.

If the time-release compound is dissolved out, or if you just crush the tablet and snort it, it gives a reportedly incredible rush that's as good as heroin and about as addictive.  
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 3:25:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 4:00:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Anything that helps clean the gene pool is fine with me.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 4:05:17 PM EDT
[#8]
The whole thing pisses me off.

My wife has been on it for years, and NEEDS it.

You wouldn't believe the crap we have to go through to get the prescriptions.  We have to drive down to Johns Hopkins in the bombed out shithole area of Baltimore once a month to get the prescription.  They can't mail it, can't call it in, can't fax it.  You can't get 2 prescripts at once, only one.  You have a few day window to pick it up, you can't get it early.   You get treated like a crack whore for needing it.

If we wanted drugs for the sake of drugs, we'd just buy heroin off the streets of Baltimore.  It is the heroin capital of the USA, afterall.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 4:30:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Oxycontin is very big currently with the "in" crowd of college age and post-college druggies along Gulf Coast.  Several ODs and deaths each month reported between FL and Texas.  Numerous drug store burgulary / thefts involving oxycon.  
Also numerous forged and / or bogus scripts for the stuff.  Currently a fairly high street price, encouraging further rip-offs.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 4:32:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Fight4YourRights) Dude, I understand what you are saying.
But you have to undestand the legnths people are going to to get this shit.
Here in my town (Well, just north in Jacksonville), some guy had his brother run his leg over with an 18 Wheeler so he could get a script for OC's.

They sell for like $50.00 a pop around here.

There definitley has to be some extra controls on that stuff.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 4:44:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I've heard a few reports about deaths in the Baltimore area..  Someone told me it is essentially synthetic heroin. More crap to kill off the weak.

fight4yourrights - If you think the Hopkins area is bad, don't make the mistake of going a few blocks to the north!!!  At least that area is "kinda" safe by day. It's all bad at night though. What sucks is sometimes those areas are my "workplace".
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#12]
I've had the same experiences that fight4yourrights had in filling prescriptions for this. I have two slipped discs in my lower back, and more recently had kidney stones. Unexplainable pain!!
This is a PITA to get filled here. No phone in's or mail aways.
I also have "roxicet(oxycodone)" and "percoset(oxycodone)"along with "oxycodone".
Are there any pharmacists out there that can tell me if these are interchangable? Are they just generic names for the same thing?
Eric
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 5:46:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Percocet (sp?) is a step or two down the food chain from oxicodaine.

My understanding of the strength of prescription meds:

strong - percocet
stronger - demarol (oxycodone)
strongest - morphine (oxycontin)

haven't heard of roxicet

Gus - Yep - I've been all around the Hopkins area - it's a shithole.

Nothing more fun than a saturday night in the Johns Hopkins ER - it will confirm every racial stereotype you've ever heard.  Real fun realizing you are the only paying customer.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a failed lower lumbar laminectomy and 2 additional herniated discs.   My pain management doc started perscribing Oxycontin to me over 6 months ago.  

It works very well for the pain but gives me severe naseua.  He just changed my pain medication to methadone but I am terrified about taking it....   I don't want to become drug dependant.  (never have taken any drugs in my life before the surgery)

I just take a percoset or 2 if I have to leave the house to help kill some of the pain.

Anyone who abuses this stuff deserves what they get !
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#15]
ctrmass - roxicet, roxilox, percoset, and tylox are all basicly the same thing under different names.  A mix of acetamenophen and oxycodone hydrochloride.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:12:49 PM EDT
[#16]
I hate not being exposed to the media. You miss all that good entertainment!
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:18:56 PM EDT
[#17]
RBAD - oxycontin is addictive.  The one time they tried to take my wife off it she got the DT's.

That said, there are MANY studies that show people living with high levels of pain can take ALOT of painkillers without getting "dopey".

I know my wife was on enough oxycontin at one point to knock out an elephant.  You never would have guessed it.  She drove, went shooting, went to work, etc....  Never got a buzz.

It's not the legitimate users that are the problem (I'm not sayimg anyone here implied that)
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:21:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for all the replys guys.

Quoted:
It works very well for the pain but gives me severe naseua.  He just changed my pain medication to methadone but I am terrified about taking it....   I don't want to become drug dependant.  (never have taken any drugs in my life before the surgery)

I just take a percoset or 2 if I have to leave the house to help kill some of the pain.

Anyone who abuses this stuff deserves what they get !
View Quote

The stuff I got works OK for the back ailments. When I had to go to the hospital for my kidney stones, they (finally) gave me morphene. Nurse first tells me "We hate to give this to anyone" I ask "Why?? It kills pain right?" She says "Sometimes people forget to breathe when we give this, but dont worry. We have another needle to start you" I said "Well...what are you waiting for then??"  Sheesh...[rolleyes]

rbad, I would definetly get a second opinion. That's just legal heroin. Bad chit, and addictive.
Eric
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 6:28:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
RBAD - oxycontin is addictive.  The one time they tried to take my wife off it she got the DT's.

It's not the legitimate users that are the problem (I'm not sayimg anyone here implied that)
View Quote

I am really sorry that I wasn't clear in my post.  My "abuse" comment wasn't targeted toward people using it for pain control...  I meant that toward the "street users" of the drug.

- Rich
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 7:01:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Hi Guys.  It is used mainly for dying cancer patients and intractable pain. Its a synthetic form of morphine.  It will give you nausea and vomiting if you take it on a empty stomach.  It will depress respirations if you take too much.

The younger crowd crush it and inhale it for a fast high.  Its pure so it works pretty well that way.  

The problem is that some people wii shop around to different docs to get multiple prescriptions and get multiple doses.  

The other drug that the wavers like is Ketamine. They call it special K.  Its an older anesthetic and will give you a buzz and hallucinations.  We dont use it much anymore but vets do.  Lots of breakins at vet clinics.
Link Posted: 5/29/2001 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#21]
Oxycodone  -  OXYCONTIN 10 to 160mg timed released; ROXICODONE 5mg; PERCOCET 5mg; ROXICET 5mg; ROXILOX 5mg; TYLOX 5mg; PERCODAN 4.5mg

"All but OXYCONTIN have either Acetaminophen or Aspirin added."

CLINICAL PHARMACOLOGYROXILOX

The analgesic ingredient, oxycodone, is a semi-synthetic narcotic with multiple actions qualitatively similar to those of morphine; the most prominent of these involve the central nervous system and organs composed of smooth muscle. The principal actions of therapeutic value of oxycodone are analgesia and sedation.

Oxycodone is similar to codeine and methadone in that it retains at least one half of its analgesic activity when administered orally.
INDICATIONS

For the relief of moderate to moderately severe pain.

DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION

The usual adult oral dose is 10 to 30 mg every 4 hours as needed for pain or as directed by physician. The dose must be individually adjusted according to severity of pain, patient response and patient size. More severe pain may require 30 mg or more every 4 hours. If the pain increases in severity, analgesia is not adequate or tolerance occurs, a gradual increase in dosage may be required.

For control of severe, chronic pain in patients with certain terminal diseases, this drug should be administered on a regularly scheduled basis, every 4 hours, at the lowest dosage level that will achieve adequate analgesia.

Link Posted: 5/30/2001 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#22]
As a doctor, let me put this all into perspective.  Think of Oxycontin as the 'assault weapon' of narcotic painkillers.  Now, apply all the same media/public perceptions.  Things should now be very, very clear.

Oxycontin is a clear case of a very good thing being abused by a small segment of criminals.  the people who need it should not be denied it.  Yes, it is addictive, but the primary rule of pain control in medicine is treat the pain first.  Addictions can be dealt with later, but chronic pain is an infinitely worse problem.  
I would personally like to inflict pain on the trash that is making this drug a nightmare.  I have my own personal medication for them and it comes in a big 55 gallon drum labeled 'WHOOPASS CONCENTRATE'.  
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 4:18:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Narcotic Policy Center press release.

Oxycontin is an assault drug and should be banned. We cannot allow such a powerful agent to be available to the general public. The health risks are simply too great. Cancer patients with chronic pain have to realize it's for the good of the nation. They are a small minority of pain sufferers and therefore lack the political clout neccessary to oppose this measure. We suggest they continue to use Vicodon, as this drug is proven to be effective in 99% of cases. It's for the children, you know.
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 4:24:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Narcotic Policy Center press release.

Oxycontin is an assault drug and should be banned. We cannot allow such a powerful agent to be available to the general public. The health risks are simply too great. Cancer patients with chronic pain have to realize it's for the good of the nation. They are a small minority of pain sufferers and therefore lack the political clout neccessary to oppose this measure. We suggest they continue to use Vicodon, as this drug is proven to be effective in 99% of cases. It's for the children, you know.
View Quote

LMAO
Link Posted: 5/30/2001 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#25]
I remember when the oxycontin drug rep first brought literature around for OCs.  He said you can't crush and snort the drug, because the crystalline matrix of the compound will cause instant nasal abcesses.  You can't crush it up and shoot it up, because it will cause abcesses in the tissue.  It was supposed to be the best new pain management drug EVER!  In the emergency room I work in, we get 8-15 people a day wanting detox from it, and even more drug seekers wanting it.

A few weeks ago, we had an atypical junkie come in:  a 68 year-old white female, who was shooting up with 100-200mg a day, and wanted detox because her doctor quit writing it for her.  Hell, she looked like a typical grandmother.  Oxys are worse than smack, because you can obtain them legally.  I know of patients suffering from terminal cancer selling half of their Oxys a month, trying to get their family money.  It's some bad shit, my brothers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top