Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/23/2001 6:58:29 PM EDT
I finally sent in my order for a DSA STG58, scope mount, and extra mags.  I really like the carry handle on these things, but I also want a good scope of some sort.  I am seriously considering the ATN 5x33LU with the included .308 reticle.  If I go this route, the carry handle will be useless.

Can anyone recommend a scope, other than a SUIT, that may work in conjunction with the carry handle?  AimPoint, ACOG, etc.

Thanks

Link Posted: 5/23/2001 7:07:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#2]
here a pic of the atn 5x33lu mounted on my stg-58.mmk                                          [img]wsphotofews.excite.com/023/b8/Kv/eG/eL96875.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 5/23/2001 7:46:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks Troy.  I always respect your advice.  

MMK.  Any complaints with the scope?  It sure has a bunch of the bells and whistles and an excellent price to boot.  

For example, what is roughly the field of view at say 25 yards?  

Would you have trouble picking up a moving target at that distance?  

In my mind, my AR would be a primary weapon for maneuvers.  The FAL would be more of a semi stationary type longer range rifle.  After shooting the garand clinic a couple weeks back, I am convinced that I want optics on my FAL. Damn, I regret not enlisting back in the 80's.  So many valuable hands on skills I will probably never be able to learn as a civilian with limited resources. :^(

Thanks.

Link Posted: 5/24/2001 8:32:26 AM EDT
[#4]
^
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 9:11:49 AM EDT
[#5]
hmmm 25 yards,good question.i'll just stick it out the window to see,i would guess about 25 feet.but i would have to say 25yrds is rock throwing distance [:D]. i never thought of it in terms of such short range as i use mine for 100yrds and out.i agree with you,it (the rifle ) is too heavy for me to lug around and would use it primary as a stationary type weapon for long range 100-500 yrds shots.as far as complaints,i have none.great scope for the $$$'s.  [url]www.aimdiscount.com/[/url] as far as moving targets, go i would guess that at 100 and out it wouldn't be a problem but at 25 yrds i didn't know what to say.best of luck.mmk
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 9:19:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Forget the carry handle.  
-Troy
View Quote

Cope -

Troy is right.

We put carryhandles on suitcases, NOT rifles. I got my FAL WITHOUT the carryhandle. No regrets, here.

I had an ATN. Great scope for the money. Some people consider them to be a little heavy. I sold mine. Clear optics, but the reticle is VERY fine. Which can be good or bad. If you get the ATN, get the illuminated reticle. YOu'll need it.

WHEN I scope mine, I'm going with the Tasco Super Sniper fixed 10x with the mildot reticle. FOV at 100 yds is about 22' I believe. I'd prefer a 5x, like the ATN, tho.

Hey, I'm shooting the next match at Asheville. You gonna bring another toy and shoot that one??? Its an 80 round match. YEEEEEEEEHHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 5/24/2001 9:21:20 AM EDT
[#7]
I've got both and have used the Professional on my STG-58 - but never noticed if the carry handle interfered with the scope. Look like I've got to make a trip out to the gun safe.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 9:48:56 AM EDT
[#8]

Cope -

Hey, I'm shooting the next match at Asheville. You gonna bring another toy and shoot that one??? Its an 80 round match. YEEEEEEEEHHAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

View Quote

YEEEEEEEHHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!????

You mean you actually enjoyed that?  I guess I'm just a sore loser when it comes to ANY type of competition.  I have never really done any 200 yard open sight shooting in the past, and I'm not so sure I want to again.  Besides, I just peeled the last scab from the match off my right elbow last week. Sad, ain't it?  Guess I need one of them high dollar leather shooting jackets to prevent that.  In a nutshell, I was humbled by my lousy scores with the garand.  I think I'll stick with the IPSC stuff.  I really want to do my first 3 gun match.  Now that sounds like fun!

Let me know when the next high power match is, and I may come out and root you on if I don't decide to shoot my AR in it. I'd hate tho think that I couldn't improve on my score with the AR.

Thanks for the response about the scope.  

Link Posted: 5/24/2001 9:57:10 AM EDT
[#9]
i removed the carry handle from my rifle.mmk
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 10:24:04 AM EDT
[#10]
MMK,

Yea, I know what ya mean about 25 yards being rock throwing distance.  I hope I never allow any BG to get that close to me in the first place.  If it ever did happen, I guess rapid fire point shooting would be the first reactionary event.  With the 10X that gman is planning on sporting, he better be well aware of his immediate surroundings.

I just noticed that your rifle appears to be void of a rear sight.  I really dislike the idea of not having backup sights if needed.  You think the eye relief is good enough on this particular scope to move it forward enough to allow the rear sights to remain installed?  

Aimsdiscount is definitely the place to get the ATN goods.  That 4-12X60 is a sweet deal, but it is too much scope for a battle rifle IMHO.

BTW, you didn't scare anyone when you pointed it out the window did ya?

Link Posted: 5/24/2001 11:05:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Cope -

Sat. June 9 is the next one.

But I don't think I'm quite ready to have an audience. [:D]

Its only humbling after your SECOND match, if you do worse in that one than you did in your first one. The only competition I'll have there June 9 is ME.

What Id' REALLY like to do is a tactical carbine match. I've got this .40 S&W AR upper with Trijicon Reflex II that's begging to get out and punch some paper and pop-ups in a match.

But, since there aren't any of those around here, I guess I'll settle for IPSC.

do you know the difference between IPSC and IPDA???
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 11:08:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
MMK,

With the 10X that gman is planning on sporting, he better be well aware of his immediate surroundings.

View Quote

Actually, to me, the FAL is not really intended to be scoped. The scope is just for fun, and will be mounted with QD rings, for quick removal.

But like you say, I'm NOT gonna go without iron sights on teh rifle.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 11:12:39 AM EDT
[#13]
good catch there cope.yes i also removed the rear site.i dedicated this rifle for scope useage only,so off it went.in a SHTF scenario my M4 would be my primary weapon and the STG-58 would be brought along if needed for long range or hard targets.mmk  PS i live wayout in the country and the only thing i scare are the coyote's
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 11:16:38 AM EDT
[#14]
gman,

Just havin a little fun wif ya on the scope power. ;^)

In a nutshell, the way IDPA was briefly explained to me in the past is that they actually focus on using genuine cover while shooting.  Rather than simply running through a course and firing at targets from behind concealment or no concealment at all.  More realistic to a real life situation.  I just located their website for the first time a few minutes ago. [url]http://www.idpa.com/dps.htm[/url]  I'm headed over there right now to try to learn something.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 11:34:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What Id' REALLY like to do is a tactical carbine match.
View Quote

gman,

I am planning on doing a tactical carbine course on Sept 14 - 16 in Bristol.  This will be instructed by Randy Cain of [url]http://www.guntactics.com/[/url] I have contact info on the guy to contact at the range up in Bristol.  John is planning on doing this as well.  (You may remember him from the garand clinic.)

600 rounds through that .40 upper oughtta get it broken in for ya.  I'd like to see a few others from our area show up to do this.  Should be an informative blast.  If I had only enlisted way back when...., I wouldn't be paying hard earned cash for training now. :^(    

Link Posted: 5/24/2001 12:10:09 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Forget the carry handle.  
-Troy
View Quote

Cope -

Troy is right.

We put carryhandles on suitcases, NOT rifles. I got my FAL WITHOUT the carryhandle. No regrets, here.

I had an ATN. Great scope for the money. Some people consider them to be a little heavy. I sold mine. Clear optics, but the reticle is VERY fine. Which can be good or bad. If you get the ATN, get the illuminated reticle. YOu'll need it.

WHEN I scope mine, I'm going with the Tasco Super Sniper fixed 10x with the mildot reticle. FOV at 100 yds is about 22' I believe. I'd prefer a 5x, like the ATN, tho.

View Quote

I have the Tasco Super Sniper on mine with the ARMS throw lever rings and it is very nice!  If I need to, the scope can be removed in two seconds.
Link Posted: 5/24/2001 6:26:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top