Warning

 

Close
Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Cancel Confirm
AR15.COM
10/24/2020 2:48:27 PM EDT
I'm weighing options on either rebuilding or replacing the engine in my 04 Dodge 1500. One bid I'm looking at doesn't rebuild but they will replace it with a Jasper remanufactured engine. I have no experience with Jasper and I don't know anyone who does. I'm not getting any bad vibes, the problem (not a problem per se, but I lack a better term) is that I am drawing a total blank on Jasper. There's a 3 year/100k warranty with the engine.

If not Jasper, do you know of a good crate motor builder?

I'm not looking for high performance necessarily, but depending on cost I am not ruling out a little bump up.

*ETA*

5.7 Hemi
10/24/2020 2:53:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Good product. They do upgrades if they see a common failure area of the cores they are rebuilding. Nationwide warranty.  Have toured their facilities and was impressed.
10/24/2020 2:53:50 PM EDT
[#2]
I looked at Jasper and Promar and one other that sells online (engines direct?) The thing I found difficult about making the decision to choose between them was the shipping costs and the lack of consistent reviews. Promar seemed to have better reviews overall but on the various car boards there was back and forth on their reliability...same for jasper.

I decided to look locally and found a shop that has been in business for over 30 years and took my engine there. After asking around I realized they had a good reputation and ended up sending my engine there and saving almost $1k compared to shipping out the long block
10/24/2020 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Quote History
Quoted:
I looked at Jasper and Promar and one other that sells online (engines direct?) The thing I found difficult about making the decision to choose between them was the shipping costs and the lack of consistent reviews. Promar seemed to have better reviews overall but on the various car boards there was back and forth on their reliability...same for jasper.

I decided to look locally and found a shop that has been in business for over 30 years and took my engine there. After asking around I realized they had a good reputation and ended up sending my engine there and saving almost $1k compared to shipping out the long block
View Quote


I would think in Idaho he have some ole boy that would be able to R&R his engine for him
10/24/2020 2:56:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Jasper is big, and like any rebuilder can have problems

Make sure the shop will warranty the work, jasper will replace it
10/24/2020 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quote History
Quoted:


I would think in Idaho he have some ole boy that would be able to R&R his engine for him
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
I looked at Jasper and Promar and one other that sells online (engines direct?) The thing I found difficult about making the decision to choose between them was the shipping costs and the lack of consistent reviews. Promar seemed to have better reviews overall but on the various car boards there was back and forth on their reliability...same for jasper.

I decided to look locally and found a shop that has been in business for over 30 years and took my engine there. After asking around I realized they had a good reputation and ended up sending my engine there and saving almost $1k compared to shipping out the long block


I would think in Idaho he have some ole boy that would be able to R&R his engine for him


I'm kinda new here in ID. I did ask around a bit from the guys at work. Couple do their own, but aren't interested in doing anyone elses. They didn't really have a recommendation that had a reasonably quick turn on it.
10/24/2020 3:21:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve had some issues with Jasper rebuilt engines and transmissions in the past, I much prefer LKQ (the salvage yard chain) rebuilds. LKQ rebuilds are consistently priced below Jasper, 3 year warranty is unlimited miles and they don’t play games on your core like Jasper, being a salvage operation they have a huge supply.
10/24/2020 3:24:07 PM EDT
[#7]
GM offers factory crate 350s...does Mopar?
10/24/2020 3:30:01 PM EDT
[#8]
4.0 swap from Jasper for my Jeep has run fine since 08.
10/24/2020 5:19:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Ha! I used to work there about 30 years ago, and know people that still do. I wouldn't take one if they gave it to me.
10/24/2020 5:21:22 PM EDT
[#10]
They had a bad reputation 20 years ago. Don't know about the current quality.
10/24/2020 5:22:08 PM EDT
[#11]
A good friend of mine family started Jasper Engines...

All and all pretty good product
10/24/2020 5:26:55 PM EDT
[#12]
2 Jasper SBC’s were used in work vehicles a few years ago. One lost oil pressure within a week and the other sucked an exhaust valve after about 7k miles.

Like the above poster who used to work there-I wouldn’t take one if it was given to me.
10/24/2020 5:27:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quote History
Quoted:
Ha! I used to work there about 30 years ago, and know people that still do. I wouldn't take one if they gave it to me.
View Quote



I worked there for a time. Lots of people in this area have worked there at one time or another.
10/24/2020 5:28:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quote History
Quoted:
A good friend of mine family started Jasper Engines...

All and all pretty good product
View Quote



Ruxer?
10/24/2020 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#15]
The mopar crate engines are considerably more money from a quick search.

Interesting comments about the reliability of the product.

Is there a particular point of failure?
10/24/2020 5:58:53 PM EDT
[#16]
They were hit and miss in my experience.  I had a Jasper 4.6 Ford I installed in an F-150 years ago that wouldn't build oil pressure because they forgot to install an oil pickup tube in the pan.
10/24/2020 6:03:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Once and a while we'd have one with an issue, I specialized in engine, did at least 2 a week, we switched to atk and never looked back.
10/24/2020 6:06:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Anyone here deal with ATK ?

I just ordered this for my Vette ,

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-hp93

as the local speed shop recommended it
As they said it would take them 3-4 months to build me a motor and blueprint said it would be at least January to get a motor


I see mixed reviews but as I understand it ATK makes like 100k motors a year for napa  , pep boys , o'reilly's , kegs , summit , etc
Going by the BBB and such they do stand behind um warranty wise and cover 1/2 repair labor
10/24/2020 6:08:10 PM EDT
[#19]
I replaced the Triton in my 07 F150 with a Jasper. I chose it over another because they had done some things to mitigate known problems with that motor that the other reman didn't do. Don't remember what it was specifically, but don't think it was related to the 2 part stuck plugs problem, which caused the need for the new engine in the first place.

Seemed to be fine for the 4K miles I got out of it, before the Mrs. totaled it.
My last F150 ever. FFMC.
10/24/2020 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quote History
Quoted:
I replaced the Triton in my 07 F150 with a Jasper. I chose it over another because they had done some things to mitigate known problems with that motor that the other reman didn't do. Don't remember what it was specifically, but don't think it was related to the 2 part stuck plugs problem, which caused the need for the new engine in the first place.

Seemed to be fine for the 4K miles I got out of it, before the Mrs. totaled it.
My last F150 ever. FFMC.
View Quote
They did something to fix the gooped up oil passages that destroy the cam phasers
10/25/2020 9:32:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Bump for hopefully more good/bad or alternatives
10/25/2020 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Friend manages a repair shop and that's all they use. Hell, I thought that's all there was, outside of racing....

PS you will not get a "complete" engine. You will have to re-use A LOT of the bolt-on pieces parts form your old engine so be careful when disassembling or you'll be looking for other parts.
10/25/2020 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quote History
Quoted:
GM offers factory crate 350s...does Mopar?
View Quote


Mopar has a line of factory crate engines.
10/25/2020 9:42:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Powetrain Products are supposed to be very good also.

Remans will have certain problem areas addressed for which a fix has been identified. Rebuilds will not
10/25/2020 9:45:29 AM EDT
[#25]
4.7 or 5.7?

When I was working on my Durango, I discovered that the 4.7 doesn’t rebuild well. Reviews for every reman that I could find said that the motor would crap out after about 20k miles. I ended up swapping in a 5.7.
10/25/2020 9:49:00 AM EDT
[#26]
My first choice would be an OEM new or rebuilt engine. I have used Jasper in the past with mixed results. They will nickel and dime you to make damn sure you have proof of maintenance and break in that meets warranty requirements. Oem Ford has 3 year and 100,000 miles even in commercial use.
10/25/2020 9:51:01 AM EDT
[#27]
If it's a 4.7, I was told good luck finding anyone who builds those properly.
10/25/2020 9:51:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quote History
Quoted:
Anyone here deal with ATK ?

I just ordered this for my Vette ,

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-hp93

as the local speed shop recommended it
As they said it would take them 3-4 months to build me a motor and blueprint said it would be at least January to get a motor


I see mixed reviews but as I understand it ATK makes like 100k motors a year for napa  , pep boys , o'reilly's , kegs , summit , etc
Going by the BBB and such they do stand behind um warranty wise and cover 1/2 repair labor
View Quote



My experience with ATK was that none made warranty mileage and warranty claims were a honest pain in the ass. Way worse than Jasper.
10/25/2020 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
There's a 3 year/100k warranty with the engine.
View Quote


What type of warranty on the rest of the 16 year old truck? How much cash are you willing to throw at it?
10/25/2020 9:54:09 AM EDT
[#30]
LOL.....Back when Jasper sponsored a NASCAR team they always had "engine trouble".....Yeah, I know they did not run Jasper engines but it was ironic.
10/25/2020 9:57:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quote History
Quoted:
I looked at Jasper and Promar and one other that sells online (engines direct?) The thing I found difficult about making the decision to choose between them was the shipping costs and the lack of consistent reviews. Promar seemed to have better reviews overall but on the various car boards there was back and forth on their reliability...same for jasper.

I decided to look locally and found a shop that has been in business for over 30 years and took my engine there. After asking around I realized they had a good reputation and ended up sending my engine there and saving almost $1k compared to shipping out the long block
View Quote



1k to ship a long block?   I had a complete engine ship from South Carolina to north of Seattle for 400 bucks
10/25/2020 10:15:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'm weighing options on either rebuilding or replacing the engine in my 04 Dodge 1500. One bid I'm looking at doesn't rebuild but they will replace it with a Jasper remanufactured engine. I have no experience with Jasper and I don't know anyone who does. I'm not getting any bad vibes, the problem (not a problem per se, but I lack a better term) is that I am drawing a total blank on Jasper. There's a 3 year/100k warranty with the engine.

If not Jasper, do you know of a good crate motor builder?

I'm not looking for high performance necessarily, but depending on cost I am not ruling out a little bump up.
View Quote
what engine are you looking for?
10/25/2020 10:16:50 AM EDT
[#33]
Quote History
Quoted:
Jasper is big, and like any rebuilder can have problems

Make sure the shop will warranty the work, jasper will replace it
View Quote

We have used a few Jasper products in our fleet, and I’ve been surprised at the out of the box failure rate.
10/25/2020 11:03:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Sorry, I thought I'd included it in the OP, it's the 5.7
10/25/2020 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Quote History
Quoted:
Sorry, I thought I'd included it in the OP, it's the 5.7
View Quote


Find a low  mileage truck of the same era so you can fire it up and see how it runs,  put that in your truck. Sell what's left over for parts.
Rebuild your old motor and keep for next time.
10/25/2020 5:46:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quote History
Quoted:
Anyone here deal with ATK ?

I just ordered this for my Vette ,

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hpe-hp93

as the local speed shop recommended it
As they said it would take them 3-4 months to build me a motor and blueprint said it would be at least January to get a motor


I see mixed reviews but as I understand it ATK makes like 100k motors a year for napa  , pep boys , o'reilly's , kegs , summit , etc
Going by the BBB and such they do stand behind um warranty wise and cover 1/2 repair labor
View Quote


I've sold many ATK engines,  very easy company to work with and the very few issues we've had they dealt with immediately and as easily as possible.    They also covered labor to replace the one time we needed to go that route.
10/25/2020 5:48:42 PM EDT
[#37]
Quote History
Quoted:


Find a low  mileage truck of the same era so you can fire it up and see how it runs,  put that in your truck. Sell what's left over for parts.
Rebuild your old motor and keep for next time.
View Quote


Yes, do this. And send me the 545RFE transmission.
10/25/2020 5:50:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quote History
Quoted:

We have used a few Jasper products in our fleet, and I’ve been surprised at the out of the box failure rate.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jasper is big, and like any rebuilder can have problems

Make sure the shop will warranty the work, jasper will replace it

We have used a few Jasper products in our fleet, and I’ve been surprised at the out of the box failure rate.


Oh, there are lots of failures

But if he has a shop that wants to but in a jasper, and will warranty the work, he’s not out much if it shits the bed, just the down time of the vehicle
10/25/2020 8:58:27 PM EDT
[#39]
Quote History
Quoted:


Oh, there are lots of failures

But if he has a shop that wants to but in a jasper, and will warranty the work, he’s not out much if it shits the bed, just the down time of the vehicle
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quote History
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Jasper is big, and like any rebuilder can have problems

Make sure the shop will warranty the work, jasper will replace it

We have used a few Jasper products in our fleet, and I’ve been surprised at the out of the box failure rate.


Oh, there are lots of failures

But if he has a shop that wants to but in a jasper, and will warranty the work, he’s not out much if it shits the bed, just the down time of the vehicle



Yes and no.

I mean yeah if it's all covered then I'm not really out of pocket for much more than maybe a tow.

But on the no side, it depends on if it craps out on me while I'm in the middle of Outer Elbonia to determine if I'm pissed or foaming at the mouth.

If they have a large failure rate, I don't want the hassle.

Sign up to continue the discussion

Create a free account to share your thoughts, follow topics, and connect with the AR15.COM community.

Already a member? Sign In