Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/18/2003 3:50:58 PM EDT
Okay, so I downloaded and installed Real One Player, the free .rm and .ram player from Real networks. Now it's installed some "Rediscover AOL" crap on my computer, but when I try to deinstall it, I can't find it with the Add/Remove Software function.

How do I kill this virus?
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:23:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:33:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Also check the properties of each icon to see if they are shortcuts to any applications it might have installed on your computer.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:35:31 PM EDT
[#3]
You can right click on those icons and chose properties, then on one of those tabs there is a "target" field. That will tell you if the icon is pointing to software on your harddrive or to a web link.

If it's a web link just delete the link, if it's a location on the HDD then chase it down through explorer and delete it.

This is one reason why if I find .rm or .ram media on the web, I just go somewhere else.

Pieces of craaaap.

Matt
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:35:43 PM EDT
[#4]
That sounds right... they are probably links to AOL's website.  Right click and look at the properties.  If it directs to a URL, you know there isn't any AOL garbage on your computer and you can just delete the icons.

A wonderful program called Ad-Aware will scan your computer and quarantine and/or delete all spyware on your computer [red]for free.[/red]  Do a google search for Ad-Aware.  It is made by LavaSoft.  It scans your registry, as well.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:39:09 PM EDT
[#5]
[img]www.btammolabs.com/fun/realplayer.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 4:54:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A wonderful program called Ad-Aware will scan your computer and quarantine and/or delete all spyware on your computer [red]for free.[/red]  Do a google search for Ad-Aware.  It is made by LavaSoft.  It scans your registry, as well.
View Quote

Try tucows.com they will have adaware, also, get Spybot Search and Destroy, not only does it have a cool name, but it gets some stuff that adaware misses, (and vice versa), it's also free, but Adaware will not block stuff being downloaded in the first place unless you pay for it.

And try to find an older copy of realplayer if you must use .rm... I do hate Real.

Cheers
/Phil
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Interesting... there are old copies of Real Player floating around the net?  That makes sense.  I'll look for one.  If you know any, please help out.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Real Player isn't a whole lot better than Gator as far as privacy goes anymore.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#9]
[url]www.oldversion.com[/url]

here's a website which has some old versions of software to download.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:10:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I keep a copy of RealPlayer8 around, but got tired of the constant "Please register' crap.  I removed it from my system and now use Windows Media Player 7.  It does all I need it to do: play small videos.  I think it supports all RealPlayer formats as well.
Link Posted: 12/18/2003 7:36:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks gents. I canc'd Real One Player, and I guess I can live without real format clips.
Link Posted: 12/19/2003 4:25:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Do a Google search for 'real alternative'. I have downloaded it but not installed it yet. It was made by the same guys that do kazzalite(the ad free version of kazaa). They recommended it on TechTV.

ByteTheBullet  (-:
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top