Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/16/2003 7:18:04 PM EDT
Alright, I'm broke as hell so please don't tell me about any great deals, et cetera, et cetera. I've been able to avoid holiday depression so far but that might put me over the edge.

But if - IF - I had $5K to spend on my first full-auto firearm (for use/fun rather than as an investment), would I be better off with a Ruger AC556F, a GI M2 carbine or a Vector mini-Uzi? I know MACs are popular "first guns" but I've got it in my head they're pretty inaccurate and lower-quality. And it'd take me a loooong time to save up an "extra" $5K much less $10-14K for an HK, f/a AR or the like.

So? Edjumacate me, please.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:31:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I would personally go with the AC556. Its 5.56 and I just like rifles better than subguns. Personally I think the M2 is ugly and the uzi's are subguns which I dont like. PLus with the AC556 you could shoot at people and they woul dnever get hit. Atleast that what happened on the A-Team
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:35:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:42:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Both of you guys hit one of my key points of concern with the Ruger - A-Team quality accuracy. I've got a Mini-14 which is accurate enough for me. I can "kill" standard-size clays - on the ground, of course - at 40-50 yards all day and at least stay on paper at 100. 200 yards... well... let's call it "mostly" and leave it at that.

Does the full-auto model have the same level of accuracy? Better? Worse?

Hey, just picked up a 4-to-midnight shift for tomorrow night so that's about $4 extra dollars towards whatever I decide on.... [:P]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:48:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 7:49:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Go with the Vector Uzi. They are a best buy in FA right now. They are registered as 9mm 45acp and 22lr. You can get conversion kits, cheap mags and supress for quiet shooting.

For $5k you could find a good deal on a DIAS.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:18:16 PM EDT
[#6]
The UZI or the .223 will shoot surplus ammo for about the same money readily available.

You will pay a premium for the carbine ammo.

Don't sell out the M11 SMG. In thier base configuration you described them well. Now there are so many options available for different configurations that they have become the DIAS of the future.
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:23:51 PM EDT
[#7]
... Don't think I've ever shot a AC556F. Often wondered how one handles FA. Like the ones those guys had on the "A" Team
Link Posted: 12/16/2003 8:56:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Don't sell out the M11 SMG. In thier base configuration you described them well. Now there are so many options available for different configurations that they have become the DIAS of the future.
View Quote

Read that again; its damn good advice.  There's a lot of people looking at MAC frames as a good platform on which other types of weapons could be built.  The M11/RPD and M11/M249 are two such examples.  They may currently be having some trouble, but someone will figure them out eventually and I'm sure there's more in the works.  David is right - its the DIAS of the future.  Besides, even in 9mm, an M11 can be modified to be competitive with much more expensive sub-guns.  When I go shooting my NFA stuff, a few guns always get left behind, but the M11 [i]always[/i] goes.  Its a hell of a lot of fun.  Do not discount the lowly M11.

That said, you should be able to find a lightning link on your $5k budget; that would be my first recommendation.  They're not the best type of conversion, but it'll get you a full auto AR15/M16.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 6:55:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
... Don't think I've ever shot a AC556F. Often wondered how one handles FA. Like the ones those guys had on the "A" Team
View Quote

One was at the ARFCOM Casa Grande shoot back in... October (?).  I got to try it out and was impressed.  It's a solid little gun but does have the same flaws as a Mini-14; accuracy.  I know no one really looks to a MG for accuracy, especially a .223 with a 12" barrel.  But for a police gun, I'd want something a little more accurate.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:22:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
In semi auto the ruger will be just like your Mini 14 with a slightly shorter barrel and uncomfortable folding stock (assuming you got a folder).

If you want ACCURACY you can barely afford a FN FNC which is a giant step up from the Ruger.

FNC sear conversions are cheap because S&H registered more sears than there are FNCs to put them in prior to the ban.

[url]http://remtek.com/arms/fn/fnc/fnc.gif[/url]

Data: [url]http://remtek.com/arms/fn/fnc/index.htm[/url]

If I was in your shoes that is what I'd buy.

View Quote

If I had $5K I'd go with the FNC, without a second thought.  They're a it over 5K right now and I can see the prices going up again really soon. I've never thought too much of the AC556's.  I'm not saying they're not good guns.  I just think the FNC is much, much nicer.  
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 7:42:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Vector just sold out of all of the Mini UZI's they had. Prices will be going up soon, so if you find a dealer with one for $5000, get it quick !

I bought a Full-Size Vector last year for $2900. When they sold out of those, the dealers bumped the price up to $5600......

* P.S. - Vector was at the Phoenix SAR gun show a couple weeks back. They said they are currently working with BATF to correct some errors they made when then inital inventory from Group Industries was done. BATF had inadvertently removed 12 Full-Size receivers from the NFA registry, and Vector is working to get those put back on. If successful, Vector may have 12 NIB guns to sell, and they can be Full size or cut down to the Mini's.   Keep your fingers crossed......
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:20:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Of the choices listed I would go with the Uzi.  I've shot quite a few of them and really like the way they handle.  Plus cheap and readily available conversions and suppressors equals more fun than just a plain MG.
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 8:38:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the replies and the new suggestions. You can tell I've never owned/shot full-auto - I expect accuracy, dammit.

Must... win... f*cking... Lotto!!!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 4:44:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Actually, if you watch closely, it appears that the A-team guns are semi, with FA sound dubbed in...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top