Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 12/15/2003 12:16:34 PM EDT
www.nynewsday.com/news/local/newyork/politics/nyc-nyguns153585146dec15,0,2350259.story?coll=nyc-manheadlines-politics

Some stores are still selling realistic-looking toy guns that might be mistaken for weapons, four years after their sale in the city was banned, a City Council investigation has found.

Undercover staffers with the council's investigations committee were able to purchase illegal toy guns at 10 of the 52 stores they visited in the five boroughs, according to a survey released yesterday.

Many of the guns were cowboy-style six-shooters with silver or chrome barrels - a violation of a 1999 city law requiring toy barrels be cast in bright colors to differentiate them from lethal firearms.

"This is an issue with very real and life-threatening consequences," said Council Speaker Gifford Miller (D-Manhattan) speaking at a City Hall news conference. "The message to parents is that parents should beware. Putting a toy gun in a child's hands is putting a child's life at risk."

Police have fired at children holding replica firearms 12 times since 1998, said Eric Gioia, the Long Island City Democrat who heads the council's investigations committee. Several have been killed, including a boy, 17, who was gunned down after pointing a BB gun at the head of an undercover cop last January.

Miller and Gioia want the city's Department of Consumer Affairs to step up enforcement.

A similar council investigation in December 2001 resulted in $1,000 to $3,000 fines against six stores caught selling lookalike weapons. Three of the stores snared in the first investigation were caught selling illegal toy guns again, Gioia said.

Fucking hell. These must have been in violation of the TAWB. Does this look like a crusade to anyone else? If a kid points a BB gun at someones head and isnt doing it from the window of a short bus he needs to be shot to keep from thinning the gene pool.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 12:58:34 PM EDT
Thats just utter B.S. What the hell is happening to this country??!! Are we all so full of fear that we have to govern and ban TOYS!!!!!!!! Just imagine what people in say Israel must think when they read something like this. The more guns are seen, the less out of place they seem and the less scarey the appear. Thats not to say there should be any lack of respect for any firearm but this whole toy thing is rediculous!
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:05:14 PM EDT
No no no no no, criminals would never paint their weapons bright orange. Pfft
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:06:55 PM EDT
thats a good lesson for kids don't point anything at a cop.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:08:32 PM EDT
Have criminals ever painted the barrels of their guns blaze orange to make them look like harmless toys?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:09:27 PM EDT
I snooze I lose I guess.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:15:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Gorto: Have criminals ever painted the barrels of their guns blaze orange to make them look like harmless toys?
View Quote
Stupid ones would, I guess. Seems like all it would do is make the weapon easier to spot. Seems simple enough, don't point a toy gun at a cop or anyone else who is armed and might shoot you as a response. Please teach your children this.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:18:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Gorto: Have criminals ever painted the barrels of their guns blaze orange to make them look like harmless toys?
View Quote
Yes, in a way. I have personally observed a glock painter red to imitate an inert training gun.
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:20:46 PM EDT
View Quote
The consensus of the detectives in my unit agree, if any of us was going to whack somebody we'd use a reliable .22 cal pistol painted orange, pink and green. This is so fvcking stupid it's unbelievable[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 1:21:00 PM EDT
Too bad that the article will never come out and say the truth - the "children" killed while holding toy handguns were probably committing crimes or were about to commit them, or at least menace somebody with ill intent. We're not talking about innocent 10 year old kids playing army here folks. This same trick of anti - 2nd ammendment types is used all the time. Does "Do it for the children" ring a bell?
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 2:09:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By LHD: If a kid points a BB gun at someones head and isnt doing it from the window of a short bus he needs to be shot to keep from thinning the gene pool.
View Quote
LMAO. Ditto. - N20
Link Posted: 12/15/2003 8:29:32 PM EDT
I wonder if these people ever take a step back and look at what theyre doing. 1. Ban guns 2. ??? 3. Profit
Top Top