Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/7/2003 2:49:33 PM EDT
Let's say Bush/Cheney are in their first year of their second term. Cheney falls ill and has to step down. How do they fill that void? Chain of Command or is it done by a vote?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Appointment and confirmation
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:00:55 PM EDT
[#2]
You simply call Condoleeza Rice.

Then sit back and watch the Democrats implode.
First they'll sic the Congressional Black Caucus on her.
Then they'll say, "America's not ready for a Black Woman for President...".

From there it'll only get better.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 3:31:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Let's say Bush/Cheney are in their first year of their second term. Cheney falls ill and has to step down. How do they fill that void? Chain of Command or is it done by a vote?
View Quote

There was a movie about this very issue called "The Contender".  The movie sucked, and was basically an apology for the Clinton scandals. The VP dies and a female politician has to endure the Republican political smear campaign about her past sexual activity on her way to confirmation. [url]http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0208874/[/url]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:22:20 PM EDT
[#4]
And that how Gerald Ford and Nelson Rockefeller became Vice President.

Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:44:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You simply call Condoleeza Rice.

Then sit back and watch the Democrats implode.
First they'll sic the Congressional Black Caucus on her.
Then they'll say, "America's not ready for a Black Woman for President...".

From there it'll only get better.
View Quote

I'd pay MONEY, good money, even big money for a seat at THAT SHOW !!

5sub
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 4:56:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Where's Condi on RKBA? I could actually envision Cheney taking one for the team.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 5:39:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you going to be prepared for the secret service when they show up?  [peep]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:01:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

just can't get enough of us CAN YOU MILSURP? [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:02:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Geeminy Christmas you guys,  you call yourselves patriots??

You don't even know who comes in after the V.P.?

This is sad,  it really is.

He is called the Speaker of the House,  his name is Dennis Hastert.

http://speaker.house.gov/features/app1.asp
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:17:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Arfkommers cant resist the high horse, can they?   Before you call us sad, read carefully.  The question isn't about the line of succession.  The question is how the VP is selected if the sitting VP dies or resigns, while the President is still sitting.  

Your reading comprehension is sad, it really is.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:26:49 PM EDT
[#11]
but with the current congress it would be appointment, then daschle would filibuster the confirmation

Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Arfkommers cant resist the high horse, can they?   Before you call us sad, read carefully.  The question isn't about the line of succession.  The question is how the VP is selected if the sitting VP dies or resigns, while the President is still sitting.  

View Quote

Your answer was about a shitty movie that you saw a while ago.  You stated no facts or even a half truth that would lead the original poster to his answer.

I didn't see anything out of you that would lead me to believe you have half a clue what you are talking about.

Did you comprehend that?
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:32:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Uh, raven, I think by reading the question, you would have to determin the poster asked what is the process, and that was answered by lvgunner777.

I dont know what you read..... but I dont think he cared about the actual vote/confirmation as much as the simple "who is next in line" kinda thing, as in, which person would it be.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:33:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Are you going to be prepared for the secret service when they show up?  [peep]
View Quote

Yes, fer pete's sake. "Taking one for the team" = taking a dive, i.e., announcing in June 2005 that his ticker's unsteady, so he's leaving, thereby giving W. a chance to get a viable VP as an annointed successor, given that Cheney is not electable as pres. in 2008. Jeeze, I though [b]I[/b] had a conspiratorial turn of mind!
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 6:33:20 PM EDT
[#15]
The answer isn't as complicated or bureaucratic as you think it'd be. They actually would hold a raffle. This might also prove to be an effective way to put a president in power, given the recent elections.
Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#16]
[i]How do they replace a Vice President?[/i]

IPSC live-fire competition?

Link Posted: 12/7/2003 7:42:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

View Quote

Your answer was about a shitty movie that you saw a while ago.  You stated no facts or even a half truth that would lead the original poster to his answer.

I didn't see anything out of you that would lead me to believe you have half a clue what you are talking about.

Did you comprehend that?
View Quote

Then let me restate.  Happyshooter was right.  The Speaker of the House wouldn't get up and move into the veep's office.  There'd be an appointment and confirmation by the Congress.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:28:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Hey Milsup, its only time til ya get booted AGAIN. ya troll
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 3:49:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Milsurp was a man from the forest,
He always found time for the Pollest,
Never did he stop or even slow down,
The more he pollest he looked like a clown,
And then one day he went crying away,
Unfortunately for ARFCOM short was his stay,
At the other place he ran off to.
Link Posted: 12/8/2003 5:11:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Here is the applicable section of the 25th Amendment to the Constitution:

Amendment XXV
Section 1. In case of the removal of the President from office or of his death or resignation, the Vice President shall become President.

Section 2. Whenever there is a vacancy in the office of the Vice President, the President shall nominate a Vice President who shall take office upon confirmation by a majority vote of both Houses of Congress.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top