Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/26/2003 12:05:19 PM EDT
Last night I was driving home and while waiting at a stop light I took out my handgun to look at it a bit.

All of a sudden, I got a feeling and looking up I saw an older Black man standing at the median looking down at me (I drive a low sports car).

He saw my handgun clearly. He had a sign asking for money. He looked very serious, but didn't say a word.

I put the handgun away, and when the light turned green I drove off. I wonder what he thought when he saw my handgun.

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:07:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Too bad his sign didn't say, "Will work for ammo."
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#2]
He probably didn't think that you were going to rob him.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:10:19 PM EDT
[#3]
[lol]

Here I was thinking that [b]I[/b] was the only one who occaisonally took out his piece "just to look at it"!

[lol]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:10:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
...I wonder what he thought when he saw my handgun.

View Quote

Probably something like this:

"What kind of dumbass pulls a gun out to 'look at' while driving???"
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:11:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quit jerking off while you're driving.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey, it gets boring waiting for a green light.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:11:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Last night I was driving home and while waiting at a stop light I took out my handgun to look at it a bit.
View Quote

Can I ask why?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:15:33 PM EDT
[#8]
that probably wasn't a very smart idea. what if it was a cop that was walking by instead of a bum? i'd imagine that would have been straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
that probably wasn't a very smart idea. what if it was a cop that was walking by instead of a bum? i'd imagine that would have been straight to jail, do not pass go, do not collect $200.
View Quote

Why would I go to jail if it's a cop?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:19:24 PM EDT
[#10]
[B]
Quoted:
View Quote
[/B]

In Houston, it takes 1/2 hr for red light turns green? [:D]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:20:01 PM EDT
[#11]
More importantly, if he was a 'bad guy' he could have taken advantage of your obvious lack of situational awareness and then you could be dead, and he could have a new gun.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
[B]
Quoted:
View Quote
[/B]

In Houston, it takes 1/2 hr for red light turns green? [:D]
View Quote

I don't get it. It can be a long wait if there are a lot of cars in front of you.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:21:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
More importantly, if he was a 'bad guy' he could have taken advantage of your obvious lack of situational awareness and then you could be dead, and he could have a new gun.
View Quote

???

My window was up, and door locked.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:25:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

???

My window was up, and door locked.
View Quote

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize your windows were bullet resistant.

Don't worry, I've done stupid things with firearms too.  I'm just smart enough to keep it to myself and not post about it here. [:D]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:25:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

brandishing a firearm in public is against the law in many places. don't know if it is in Texas. not knowing Texas law, i'm sure he could have thought of something to get you on.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:29:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

brandishing a firearm in public is against the law in many places. don't know if it is in Texas. not knowing Texas law, i'm sure he could have thought of something to get you on.
View Quote

I was in my car, and I hold a CHL. No one could have seen it unless they were standing right over my car (which the guy was).
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:38:31 PM EDT
[#17]
I was in my car,
View Quote

still in public, you don't have the same expectation of privacy in a vehicle as you would if you were at home.

and I hold a CHL.
View Quote

you hold a [red]concealed[/red] handgun license. not a [red]play with it in the car[/red] handgun license

[red]No one could have seen it[/red] unless they were standing right over my car (which the guy was).
View Quote

but someone did, that someone could have been a cop.

not trying to tell you what you should and shouldn't do. i just think it wasn't the smartest idea.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:42:21 PM EDT
[#18]
in michigan as long as it is in the vehicle and you are not making threatening gestures it is to be considered concealed
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:50:21 PM EDT
[#19]
clean_cut:
I wonder what he thought when he saw my handgun.
View Quote

"Kewl, a Bryco!" [:D]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:52:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
clean_cut:
I wonder what he thought when he saw my handgun.
View Quote

"Kewl, a Bryco!" [:D]
View Quote

ExCUSE me? It was a Bersa. [:)]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 12:57:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't think taking it out to look at it is brandishing. Even in California you must "Brandish in a rude or threatening manner" for it to be a crime.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:37:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Never mind that "no one could have seen it" but did and that you were only "looking at it."  Why would you impulsively share this story with the entire world?  Did something else happen that you didn't originally tell and would like to share with us now?   Are you sure your “car” wasn’t really the family bathroom, and that this “black guy” might really have been your mom who happened to walk in and catch you playing with your “Bersa?”
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:39:25 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Never mind that "no one could have seen it" but did and that you were only "looking at it."  Why would you impulsively share this story with the entire world?  Did something else happen that you didn't originally tell and would like to share with us now?   Are you sure your “car” wasn’t really the family bathroom, and that this “black guy” might really have been your mom who happened to walk in and catch you playing with your “Bersa?”
View Quote

Hey, don't project your experiences on me, [i]hand[/i]cranked! [:D]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:40:53 PM EDT
[#24]
If you take it out to play with it, eventually it will go off. Leave in its holster, idiot.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Please, leave that pistol at home until you are mature enough to treat it like the deadly serious tool it is.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#26]
Good one, numb-nuts.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:47:18 PM EDT
[#27]
There's generally a rifle laying on the seat of my truck.
I've never remembered to pick it up and check out the scope while at stoplights.
[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:47:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Did the guy catch you looking at your gun while saying, [sigh]"I sure do miss Incoherent Girl…"[/sigh] ?
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 1:51:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Did the guy catch you looking at your gun while saying, [sigh]"I sure do miss Incoherent Girl…"[/sigh] ?
View Quote

I was listening to "Stupid Girl"...

Seriously, if some of you guys can't pick up a gun without it going off then you do not deserve to pick up the gun in the first place.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 2:19:08 PM EDT
[#30]
WTF? Did idiots suddenly take over this board? They guy fondled one of his prize toys. That's all. None of you self-righteous goobers have done the same? I HAVE! Do I raise the pistol up to the window and put my finger on the trigger? No. Do I point it everywhere and make "bang" noises? No. I pull my compact 1911 out of its holster and look at it with respect and appreciation for its beauty (but I suppose that to you guys it's just a tool and aesthetics mean nothing at all to you). And then I put it back. No finger on the trigger. No sweeping of the thumb safety. No nothing. I don't do it that often, but sometimes I want to get re-aquainted with the gun that spend most of its time in my glove box. It's not a crime. And it's not unsafe if one handles it safely. AND... as long as you aren't holding it above the window level it's not going to cause a panic of the sheeple.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Well, here in the great state of NC, we can open carry.  So I oogle mine on occasion as well.  No harm, no foul.

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:13:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
you hold a concealedhandgun license. not a play with it in the car handgun license

View Quote

WHAT? that takes all the fun out of it.

In Texas I doubt the cops would have cared isn't Texas a open carry state??
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 3:51:52 PM EDT
[#33]
It might take you awhile to live this one down clean_cut... [BD]
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Tint your windows and don't worry about it ever again. Whats he gonna do? call the po-po on his cell phone? You have the right to posses a gun, you were doing no harm.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Yah, well his donation bucket did look kinda dangerous.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#36]
Keeriste! People driving with cell phones are bad enough and you are playing with a freaking handgun while in the care of a motor vehicle?
Wait till you're watching Tv for Crissakes.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:20:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Since you decided to share this, I have no problem giving you a hard time.  [;)]  There are no good reasons to take your CCW out and play with it, and [i]all kinds[/i] of reasons [i]not[/i] to do so.

1)  Soccer mom looks down from her SUV and sees you fondling.  Calls cops.  At best, you waste 1/2 hour of your time explaining things.  I'm sure you see how it could get worse.  I don't care if it's [i]legal[/i]; people in OH routinely get the cops called on them for open carry, which is legal.

2)  In the case above, any hoplophobe who observes you will remember to tell their representatives in the state legislature to try to get CCW repealed.

3)  Negligent Discharge.  You [i]cannot[/i] have one if the gun remains holstered.  However slim the chances, you [i]might[/i] have one if it's drawn.

Again, legality isn't the point.  The point is that you took an unnecessary risk.

For you guys who take your guns out "to look at them" where someone might see you, think about the consequences.  If I see someone walking around with an unholstered weapon, you can bet your ass that mine is going to be in my hand.  Seeing a gun on someone's hip isn't going to set off alarm bells for me; seeing it in someone's hand sure as hell is!

Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:22:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Keeriste! People driving with cell phones are bad enough and you are playing with a freaking handgun while in the care of a motor vehicle?
Wait till you're watching Tv for Crissakes.
View Quote

Oh, Pleez, I only do a full field strip when the traffic is really light.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:24:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Seriously, I admit it may not be the brainiest thing to do. OK, note taken. I AM a careful gun owner.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
WTF? Did idiots suddenly take over this board? They guy fondled one of his prize toys. That's all. None of you self-righteous goobers have done the same? I HAVE! Do I raise the pistol up to the window and put my finger on the trigger? No. Do I point it everywhere and make "bang" noises? No. I pull my compact 1911 out of its holster and look at it with respect and appreciation for its beauty (but I suppose that to you guys it's just a tool and aesthetics mean nothing at all to you). And then I put it back. No finger on the trigger. No sweeping of the thumb safety. No nothing. I don't do it that often, but sometimes I want to get re-aquainted with the gun that spend most of its time in my glove box. It's not a crime. And it's not unsafe if one handles it safely. AND... as long as you aren't holding it above the window level it's not going to cause a panic of the sheeple.
View Quote

Do you also pull your dick out in public so you can admire it???

There is a time and a place to gawk at your firearms, and that time is NOT in a car at a stoplight.  Especially when this is your primary defense and you are so unaware of your surroundings that you don't realize there's a hobo standing 10 feet from your door.

A firearm is a tool.  Especially when you are carrying it in self-defense.  If you want to treat it as a toy, wait until you're in the safety (and privacy) of your home.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#41]
I unholster my gun all the time to double check and recheck to make sure theres one in the pipe and the thumb safety is on.  And I pull it out at redlights, drive thru at mickey D's, just about whenever i'm in my truck.  I've had people see it and someone get wide eyed but most give a thumbs up or a wink.  But while it is on my hip I never just unholster it and check it.  But in Mississippi your vehicle is part of your household.. so whatever you do in your household you can do in your vehicle.. and that includes playing with your toy, tool, or weapon ANYTIME you want.  
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 4:58:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Some of you guys are so stuck on the "it's MY property, I'll do whatever I want!" macho BS that you are missing the entire point of the replies.

It's not that he could have 'scared' someone (although that's a possibility, and I hope that someone isn't also armed and quick to pull a trigger) or that guns are 'evil' and he could have gotten arrested, it's that he put himself in an unsafe situation.

It's a CONCEALED carry weapon, not carry a 'toy' so I can look at it when I'm lonely.

But go ahead and be a tough guy, pull your gun whenever you like because your car is your 'castle', but remember that you're giving away the element of surprise if you ever actually have to use that weapon.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 5:30:58 PM EDT
[#43]
Almost afraid to post this with the hard time you are giving the guy but I'm a little older now and maybe a tad bit wiser.  

Back when I was in college, I had a friend in one of my classes who was also interested in firearms.  I had just put a laser on my Glock and thought it was pretty bitchin.  I left it in my glovebox and told him I would show it to him after class.

After class, we went to my car and got in.  I pulled it out of the glovebox, cleared it, and handed it to him.  He checked it out, never raising it above the bottom of the window.

I get home later that night and my then girlfriend had taken a call from the police that they wanted me to come in and have a talk.

I went in and got to meet sgt so-and-so.  Apparently, some guy had been walking by the car when we were checking out the Glock.  Now somehow, this guy got the impression that we were pointing the gun at him.  The policeman told me the guy was really freaked out and thought we were going to shoot him.  WTF??

I explained exactly what happened and my friend told them the same story.  He apologized for having to make me come into the police station and everything was forgotten.

My guess is the guy went home and told the story to his roomies, maybe embellished it a little.  As the hours went on, it got more and more exaggerated and eventually he either convinced himself that we were fucking with him or his friends urged him to call the police.

Either way, that was the first and last time I pulled a gun anywhere besides inside my house.  Lesson learned.  This is Indiana and fairly conservative. It could have been worse in any other locale.

-Nuke
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:02:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
If you take it out to play with it, eventually it will go off. Leave in its holster, idiot.
View Quote

DING   DING   DING   We have a winner!!

And this guy gets second place

Please, leave that pistol at home until you are mature enough to treat it like the deadly serious tool it is.
View Quote

That was a very follish thing to do CleanCUt.  And then you posted about, which was scheer stupidity.  You should be ashamed of your behaviour, but instead you seem proud.

Sad...and VERY Darwinian

Sgtar15
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Too bad his sign didn't say, "Will work for ammo."
View Quote

February 2002 in El Paso TX, I saw a guy who had a sign that said "Out of work bank robber. Need money for Bullets."  Funniest homeless guy I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 11/26/2003 7:30:22 PM EDT
[#46]

clean_cut,  

I too pull my ccw out to admire it, everyday. Yes in my vehicle. It's your gun and your right to do what you want with it.

My only negative thought to your post is. You have been through a ccw course. Didn't your instructor teach you to ALWAYS BE AWARE of YOUR SUROUNDINGS?  You let someone walk up on you without knowing it. Bad move.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top