Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 11/23/2003 4:42:09 PM EDT
i live and work in kuwait, and do alot of driving around the country. i am putting together a bag to keep in the trunk in case of emergencies...such as the car breaking down...getting stranded out somewhere...etc. so far i have things such as MREs, water, GPS, flashlight, extra batteries, 2 way radios, D-rings, pouch of redman tobacco...and a few other small items...does anyone have any suggestions?? thanks guys.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 4:56:06 PM EDT
Check out the survival forum, those boys will hook you up real quick, most everything is probably already posted for your viewing pleasure anyway
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 4:57:14 PM EDT
well, i could add liquor and firearms but both would get your legs cut off in kuwait............
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:01:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 11/23/2003 5:03:12 PM EDT by Airwolf]
Some of the stuff in my bag:

Para cord
Signal mirror
whistle
multi-tool
fixed blade knife
space blankets
zip lock bags of assorted sizes
large trash bags
goggles (for wind/sand)
flight gloves
chem lights
first aid kit
rescue strobe
collapsible drinking cup
waterproof matches
sunscreen
bug repellant
toliet paper
MSR water filter

For water I use Platypus containers
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:05:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Airwolf:
Some of the stuff in my bag:

Para cord
Signal mirror
whistle
multi-tool-check
fixed blade knife-check
space blankets
zip lock bags of assorted sizes
large trash bags
goggles (for wind/sand)-check
flight gloves
chem lights-check
first aid kit-check
rescue strobe
collapsible drinking cup
waterproof matches
sunscreen-check
bug repellant-check
toliet paper

For water I use Platypus containers

the rest are good ideas!! thanks!!!
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 5:56:24 PM EDT
The rest of my pack just in case you want to go whole hog:

Compact down sleeping bag rated to 20 degrees
Self inflating ground pad
Compact 2 person tent
Multi-fuel stove (an MSR that burns white gas, low-grade kerosene, auto fuel, Stoddard solvent, aviation gas, diesel #1 and naptha). I figure I’ll never be in a situation where I can’t cook and get some heat
2 small aluminum bottles w/ white gas (rather than 1 big one)
Small nesting camp pots/fry pan set
Compass
Compact binoculars
Plastic latrine trowel
Folding limb saw
Headnet (an absolute godsend when there are flies/mosquitoes around)
Snake bite kit
Headlamp

Food is energy bars and gels. It’s compact and I’ve survived for a few days in the field on that and water and do well. The cook stove/fuel/pans are for long term use.

I carry 2, 3 liter Platypus reservoirs in the bag. One has a drinking tube the other is my reserve. I keep a couple of gallons of water in my vehicle at all times along with more supplies , first aid stuff and tools.

Last but not least, a Leki trekking pole so I can manage to get around with this bitch of a pack without falling over and busting my ass
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:21:21 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Airwolf:
The rest of my pack just in case you want to go whole hog:

Compact down sleeping bag rated to 20 degrees-check
Self inflating ground pad
Compact 2 person tent
Multi-fuel stove (an MSR that burns white gas, low-grade kerosene, auto fuel, Stoddard solvent, aviation gas, diesel #1 and naptha). I figure I’ll never be in a situation where I can’t cook and get some heat
2 small aluminum bottles w/ white gas (rather than 1 big one)
Small nesting camp pots/fry pan set
Compass-check
Compact binoculars
Plastic latrine trowel
Folding limb saw
Headnet (an absolute godsend when there are flies/mosquitoes around)
Snake bite kit
Headlamp

Food is energy bars and gels. It’s compact and I’ve survived for a few days in the field on that and water and do well. The cook stove/fuel/pans are for long term use.

I carry 2, 3 liter Platypus reservoirs in the bag. One has a drinking tube the other is my reserve. I keep a couple of gallons of water in my vehicle at all times along with more supplies , first aid stuff and tools.

Last but not least, a Leki trekking pole so I can manage to get around with this bitch of a pack without falling over and busting my ass

the snake bite kit is a good idea also...i was also thinking of a fire starter kit of some sort. as for the water..i have a case in the trunk, a bottle in the bag..and i also carry around a 3L Camelbak M.U.L.E. w/ me at all times. thanks for the help Airwolf...i'll do an inventory when i get home this morning and post a list of what i currently have and what i plan to add!
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 6:39:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 7:01:30 PM EDT
I'm curious, what is the firearm situation like there for civilians? Can you carry? Keep a carbine in the car, etc...?

Stay safe.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:21:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By FiveO: I'm curious, what is the firearm situation like there for civilians? Can you carry? Keep a carbine in the car, etc...? Stay safe.
View Quote
unfortunately not amigo....no civilians are SUPPOSED to have firearms...american, kuwaiti, etc...PERIOD. a little un-nerving at times...but i DO always at least have a knife on me.
Link Posted: 11/23/2003 9:28:07 PM EDT
Originally Posted By StykUrHedUp:
Originally Posted By FiveO: I'm curious, what is the firearm situation like there for civilians? Can you carry? Keep a carbine in the car, etc...? [red]Stay safe.[/red]
View Quote
unfortunately not amigo....no civilians are SUPPOSED to have firearms...american, kuwaiti, etc...PERIOD. a little un-nerving at times...but i DO always at least have a knife on me.
View Quote
Someone needs to tell that to the assholes that were attacking American troops a few months back. Oh, but wait a minute, gun laws are only designed to keep guns out of the hands of legitimate owners, not actually reduce crime, right? Nevermind then.
Top Top