Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/22/2003 8:56:45 PM EDT
Give them to me. Please! My wifes family will be here for Thanksgiving and I'm going to fry a bird. We are going to cook one in the oven but we need enough for 35-40 people so we're gonna fry one too. I have some peanut oil left over from last year at New Years but need cooking tips, marinades, injectables ect. Her family is a bunch of yankeefied Texans so nothing too spicey.

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#1]
www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_20674,00.html

Saw this last weekend on the Food network - we're going to try a couple turkeys on Thursday.  Looked pretty simple, and I've tried deep-fried turkey a couple times at the local sporting goods store - excellent!

3 minutes per pound, plus an extra 5 minutes per bird (at 350 degrees).
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:11:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I read the title as Fried Turkey Lips.

"WTF?!?"

Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:32:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is a tip:

MAKE SURE THE OIL IS HOT!!!  COLD OIL WILL NOT (repeat) WILL NOT COOK THE BIRD!
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:36:15 PM EDT
[#4]
follow the directions.

my favorite injectable marinade is called "creole butter" it is almost drug like.

remember to let it in slowly so you dont splatter yourself or the burner.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:43:52 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
MAKE SURE THE OIL IS HOT!!!

Absolutely. In addition, make sure it's good and hot before you dunk the bird in, as the immediate searing will seal in all the juices.

Injections of various flavorings can add an extra dimension to the turkey. They are also localized, so you can add different flavors to sections, or leave sections unenhanced. Some of the best Turkey I ever had was fried with an injection of some cajun-butter-herb seasoning of my uncle's creation.

Jonathan
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 9:59:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Big warning.

The bird MUST be completely thawed and dried. Or the oil will foam over and start a very dangerous fire.

Make sure that all packaged innards are removed from the body cavity.

I really hate the flimsy commercial friers you see on the market now.

The first turkey frier I ever saw was built by a guy who worked for Texaco in Bakersfield. Made from 8" diameter well casing pipe about 30" long and welded to a flat piece of 3/8" steel plate. The base was made from square section steel tubing. Thing weighed a ton but it never caught on fire and never tipped over.
Link Posted: 11/22/2003 10:11:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been frying turkeys for about 4 years now.  I prefer to keep it simple and don't usually use any marinades.  3.5 minutes a pound at 350 degrees works well for me.

Hot oil is important, but don't let it get much over 375 degrees or it will start to smoke and break down.

Also, make sure you don't have too much oil to start with.  Displacement of the oil out of the pot and onto your deck or patio when you dunk the bird makes a real mess.

A purple-K or similar fire extinguisher is a good thing to have around, just in case.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top