Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2003 7:18:31 PM EDT
Damn good.

The longer format gives Jackson more opportunity to fill in the gaps of the story. It's much better than the theatrical version.
There's about 45 minutes of extra footage.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 7:57:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Just finished watching it as well.  Loved it.  
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:04:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I'mma have to wait until all 3 are released with extended versions.  I already have the first 2 without any extensions.......

I'm getting the Indiana Jones Box set tho.....gotta have that in my collection!
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I loved it. Some of the extra stuff makes the movie dragg a bit if you're not really into it. I've read the trilogy three times. My whole family goes to the movies when they come out. It's a big event for us. Yes, we're nerds.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:35:08 PM EDT
[#4]
How long has this been out? What kind of prices are you seeing for it?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 8:37:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Are those gadamn elves still at helms deep?

There is only supposed to be one dwarf-effin elf there.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:04:11 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Are those gadamn elves still at helms deep?

There is only supposed to be one dwarf-effin elf there.

Taking the movie a bit seriously, aren't we? Relax, just breath. It's not really a true story....and there aren't really elves.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:08:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
and there aren't really elves.

That's just 'cause the ones that stuck around faded away, the rest left.

*puts on his robe and wizard hat*

My dad will probably have this when I get home for break. He's a LoTR nut and is hellbent on buying every DVD they sell with LoTR on it, much to my mother's annoyance.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:15:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Taking the movie a bit seriously, aren't we? Relax, just breath. It's not really a true story....and there aren't really elves.

No but it is a real book.

Peter Jackson should have changed the title fo the movie to “The Two Towers Kinda But Not Really” because it takes huge liberties with the book.

While it is a good movie there are some real disappointing changes to the story line that really were not needed and do not help the movie.

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I didn't mind the elves at helms deep as I minded the differences in Faramir's character. There was no reason to change that around like they did.

The elves at helms deep are mildly annoying, but forgiveable due to how frigging cool the scene looks on screen.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I didn't mind the elves at helms deep as I minded the differences in Faramir's character. There was no reason to change that around like they did.

The elves at helms deep are mildly annoying, but forgiveable due to how frigging cool the scene looks on screen.

Exactly.

As for prices, most places around here have it for $25 this week.  I meant to pick it up today but had to work late.  I'll be getting it tomorrow and probably watch it Friday.  Really looking forward to it.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:34:53 PM EDT
[#11]
I seen that special edition today at walmart... $24.95, IIRC.

Link Posted: 11/18/2003 9:35:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I found one of the easter eggs
go to scene selection on disk 1 go to the last set of scenes. move all the way down until a image of the one ring shows up hit play.

Its the Video of Gollum accepting the award from the MTV video awards its really funny to.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:35:16 PM EDT
[#13]
The directory commentary discusses some of the reasons for the choices they made in the movie. For example, Faramir taking Frodo to Osgiliath. They couldn't fit in Shelob or Minas Morgul in TT, and they needed some culminating dramatic point for Frodo and Sam. They couldn't just leave them on the road; that would make them look lame in comparision to Aragorn & co, who had just faced down Saruman.

Some of the added Faramir scenes do some more damage to his character, though. He roughs up Smeagol.

I'm increasingly viewing the EE DVDs as the "real" versions of the movie. They really make the theatrical releases look over-edited.
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:45:51 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
No but it is a real book.

Peter Jackson should have changed the title fo the movie to “The Two Towers Kinda But Not Really” because it takes huge liberties with the book.

While it is a good movie there are some real disappointing changes to the story line that really were not needed and do not help the movie.

Your point is discussed in one of the documentaries on disc 3.  They completely admit to making major changes in order to make a more entertaining movie.

SAS Supporter
Link Posted: 11/18/2003 10:47:11 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

As stated before, the changes you mentioned were discussed on disc 3.  After listening to the reasons they gave for the changes, I agree it made for a better movie.

SAS Supporter
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 12:25:59 AM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, I'll have to check it out..

I don't fault them for changing it, still a good movie. Just minor annoyances..
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 12:45:55 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
As stated before, the changes you mentioned were discussed on disc 3.  After listening to the reasons they gave for the changes, I agree it made for a better movie.

I have serious doubts about that.  I wish the archive server were up, so i could dredge up my old thread about this attrocious movie.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 4:50:48 AM EDT
[#18]
I have now seen a couple of print ads for the extended version, but there seem to be 2 versions. One is around $24.00, and the other is $59.00 and seems to have something more to do with Gollum? Can anyone fill me in on the difference between these two sets?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:09:11 AM EDT
[#19]
The $59 version is the extended cut with a figureine of Gollum.

Not worth it IMHO. Just buy the $25 extended version, same thing without the crap figure.

Av.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:12:14 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
The $59 version is the extended cut with a figureine of Gollum.

Not worth it IMHO. Just buy the $25 extended version, same thing without the crap figure.

Av.

The only difference is that the more expensive one includes a figurine????
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:18:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Not sure, the FotR gift set included bookends, a free ticket to TTT, and some other stuff..

Nothing too fancy though, and probably not worth the extra 25$ if you aren't a big fan..
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:21:10 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The only difference is that the more expensive one includes a figurine????

There is a book or 2 thrown in there too. Still WAY to expensive.

From Amazon.com:
Description
Presented in packaging illustrated by famed artist Alan Lee, this gift set includes the 4-disc Platinum Series Special Extended DVD Edition of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers, collectible Gollum polystone statue created by Sideshow Weta, and "The Evolution of Gollum" exclusive: bonus DVD on the Weta Workshop and how the Gollum statue was created, featuring interviews with Peter Jackson, Richard Taylor, the cast and more plus a printed companion piece showing how Gollum evolved from pencil sketch to sculpted maquette to digital character

Av.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 6:21:38 AM EDT
[#23]
The movie devoted too much time on the love affair of Aragorn and Arwin, the book does mention it but not in proportion to the time wasted on the movies.
No elves came to Helm's Deep other than Legolas, Eomer and his followers were never sent away, he was fighting with Aragorn all along, therefore did not come to his aid with Gandalf.  Gandalf sought and got Tree Beard's help and brought trees, which the extended version shows, he also brought Erkenbrand and his host of defenders whom all feared were slain defending another part of Rohan.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:33:22 AM EDT
[#24]
a676.g.akamaitech.net/f/676/773/90m/images.m0.net/cm50content/1042/090081018015397d/coupon_g.htm

Here is a 10% off borders coupon. They have the set on sale for $25.99. The would bring in to less than $24.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:44:30 AM EDT
[#25]
I didn't mind some of the liberties that were taken.  THese guys have to make money, after all, and if they had stuck religiously to the script, there woudl be a real danger of people falling asleep during the loooong sequences with Frodo and Sam wandering around the middle of nowhere.  

Changing the details of the story a little, but still telling the same story with the same point doesn't bother me at all.  I know the books so well, that it's kind of neat to watch some slight variations, and a little different focus on stuff (like Arwen).

What DID bother me more and more, seeing it agains last night, is how Gimli was turned into a comedic sideshow - almost to the tune of Jar-Jar Binks .  Look at Gimli fall of his horse, haha.  Look at Gimli get squashed by dead wargs, haha.  Look at Gimli get "dwarf-tossed" by Aragorn, haha.  Look at Gimli playing dress-up with a chainmail coat that's far too big, haha, etc.  THAT was the only thing that really irritated me.

Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:22:51 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'm increasingly viewing the EE DVDs as the "real" versions of the movie. They really make the theatrical releases look over-edited.

Me too.  I refused to buy the theatrical version of TT on DVD, and I'll do the same when ROTK comes out.  I made the mistake of buying both versions of FOTR and I never watch the theatrical version any more.  The DTS soundtrack on the extended versions seals the deal.

I'm off to get my copy of the extended version of TT this weekend.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 10:44:19 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too.  I refused to buy the theatrical version of TT on DVD, and I'll do the same when ROTK comes out.  I made the mistake of buying both versions of FOTR and I never watch the theatrical version any more.  The DTS soundtrack on the extended versions seals the deal.

I'm off to get my copy of the extended version of TT this weekend.

I initially thought that way, but I wanted to see the movies right away so I had to buy the theatrical version.  But look at it this way, if you have both copies, you can loan the theatrical version to friends and family, and keep the extended version for yourself...   then if someone asks about it, start walking funny and call it 'your preciousss'...
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 5:31:13 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I found one of the easter eggs
go to scene selection on disk 1 go to the last set of scenes. move all the way down until a image of the one ring shows up hit play.

Its the Video of Gollum accepting the award from the MTV video awards its really funny to.

Holy shit that was funny as hell.  Guys, follow this easter egg, it's worth it!
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:09:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Your point is discussed in one of the documentaries on disc 3. They completely admit to making major changes in order to make a more entertaining movie.

Yea I know what they say and my response is Bullsh*it. They changed part of the story line because they thought it would be more marketable to a teenage audience… this has no correlation to entertaining movie.

They added the Aragorn cliff and flash back sequence to target teenage girls kind of “Titanicing” the story line.

They turned Gimli in to a cartoon character to appeal to MTV teenage idiots.

If they had not spent so much time on the Aragorn and Arwen sequence that adds nothing to the story they would have had time to develop the Ent sequence so that it was coherent and not so contrived.

And the changes they made to the Faramir and Frodo interaction strongly detract from the original story line and IMO hurt the movie badly.

Jackson did a first rate job on the first movie even with the changes to it. In The Two Towers Jackson succumb to the temptation dumb down the story line to “broaden” the appeal of the movie and made changes that were unnecessary fluff.

The Two Towers is a good movie but it could have been better movie if Jackson had not assumed his audience was made up of idiots and teeny bobbers with no brains.
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 7:22:06 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Your point is discussed in one of the documentaries on disc 3. They completely admit to making major changes in order to make a more entertaining movie.

Yea I know what they say and my response is Bullsh*it. They changed part of the story line because they thought it would be more marketable to a teenage audience… this has no correlation to entertaining movie.

They added the Aragorn cliff and flash back sequence to target teenage girls kind of “Titanicing” the story line.

They turned Gimli in to a cartoon character to appeal to MTV teenage idiots.

If they had not spent so much time on the Aragorn and Arwen sequence that adds nothing to the story they would have had time to develop the Ent sequence so that it was coherent and not so contrived.

And the changes they made to the Faramir and Frodo interaction strongly detract from the original story line and IMO hurt the movie badly.

Jackson did a first rate job on the first movie even with the changes to it. In The Two Towers Jackson succumb to the temptation dumb down the story line to “broaden” the appeal of the movie and made changes that were unnecessary fluff.

The Two Towers is a good movie but it could have been better movie if Jackson had not assumed his audience was made up of idiots and teeny bobbers with no brains.

I agree with MaxMike except for the last line.  It was not a good movie.  It pissed me off especially after how good the first one was.  Along with a lot of the other criticisms I didn't like they made Theoden King into a cowardly bastard instead of the noble and likeable character he was in the book.  They better redeem themselves in the third movie or this will just end up being another successful (financially) but horribly failed artistic attempt to make big bucks off of someone else's masterpiece.  

What else is in that extra 45 minutes besides treating Gollum like a liberal?
Link Posted: 11/19/2003 8:37:49 PM EDT
[#31]
I was hoping for some Ent/Huorn Smackdown footage.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 7:08:58 AM EDT
[#32]

I agree with MaxMike except for the last line. It was not a good movie. It pissed me off especially after how good the first one was.

Let me clarify.

As a stand-alone action movie I contend it is a good movie. As a rendition of the literary work “The Two Towers” it is a failure.

For fans of the books this is a hard separation to make. If Jackson had just trusted the audience and stuck more to the original plot and themes of the book he could have had a classic instead of just another action-movie and still made as much money.

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 9:56:02 AM EDT
[#33]

As a stand-alone action movie I contend it is a good movie. As a rendition of the literary work “The Two Towers” it is a failure.

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:17:26 AM EDT
[#34]
There is something on my mind. Guess we'll know as soon as the ROTK Specials are broadcast.

Any bad or near fatal accidents filming ROTK?

FOTR, Sean Aston got a glass shard stuck through his foot.

TT. Vigo Mortenson almost drowned in the floating downriver scene. He got sucked under by a whirlpool.

Wonder if anything like that happened while the were filming Return of The King?

It'd probably be the first trilogy where the actors could also be nominated for the Purple Heart.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 10:50:34 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
...It'd probably be the first trilogy where the actors could also be nominated for the Purple Heart.

Why not make it the Bronze Star - they don't mean anything anymore...

(* I don't really feel that way - that was for all of the Jessica Lynch haters here...)

Seriously, some of you guys sound like my best friends who re-read the books before going to the movies just so they could pick the movies apart.    I read the books as a child & enjoyed them.  I re-read them as a teenager & understood/appreciated/enjoyed them even more.  As an adult, I have enjoyed the two movies so far and look forward to the third.  Why would I cheat myself out of that enjoyment by nitpicking them to death?

IMO, Jackson did a great job of staying true to the tone, feel, and essential elements of the books.  I doubt anyone else in Hollyweird today could have done a better job - at least Jackson was a fan of the books.  Frankly, I was surprised the movies were as close to the books as they were, given the realities of the movie industry.

That being said, I must agree with DK-Prof that utilizing Gimli for comic relief irked even me... but on the whole, I love these movies.  Hopefully they will prompt another few generations to discover the books...
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:11:53 AM EDT
[#36]
 does anyone know if Eowyn's funeral chant for Theodred is on the soundtrack?  or does anyone know the name of the piece and who perfoms it?  I'd check the credits but I am low on time and thought maybe one of you music buffs would know the answer.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:28:47 AM EDT
[#37]
I'm beginning to think the entire trilogy will be the best epic ever filmed. You can argue about whether Fellini or some film school student made better small movies, but for big-budget movies this probably sets the standard.

Yes, better than Star Wars or the Indiana Jones movies or the _entire_ Police Academy series. Better than the 50's and 60's epics, too, like Lawrence of Arabia or Ben Hur or Doctor Zhivago.

Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#38]
Agreed...but I am waiting for proof.  I really thought the third Matrix was gonna be gorgeous...thought the 2nd movie was a red herring that was setting everybody up for a big suprise....boy oh boy was I wrong.

Still....I think Jackson and the gang can pull it off.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:40:42 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I'm beginning to think the entire trilogy will be the best epic ever filmed. You can argue about whether Fellini or some film school student made better small movies, but for big-budget movies this probably sets the standard.

Yes, better than Star Wars or the Indiana Jones movies or the _entire_ Police Academy series. Better than the 50's and 60's epics, too, like Lawrence of Arabia or Ben Hur or Doctor Zhivago.

My wife LOVES those stupid things...
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 11:55:16 AM EDT
[#40]
I'm sorry, but the comic relief provided by Gimli(whether right or wrong) was much funnier than Jar-Jar Binks.

It was impossible to expect anything from Jar-Jar--he looked, sounded, and acted like a complete moron from the moment he was introduced.

Gimli is taken seriously for most of the movie, and it is the times when something funny happens to him that it is good comic relief. You don't laugh at him because he is acting stupidly--you laugh because of the circumstances that are forced upon him that he must deal with, and the way that he deals with these situations.

...sorry, but I thought they were funny.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 12:56:41 PM EDT
[#41]

Oh please… be serious.

Now that is comic relief.
Link Posted: 11/20/2003 2:39:06 PM EDT
[#42]

If he was assuming that then he is probably correct. I have watched this movie with many people (friends and girlfriends) and most of them dont understand half of whats going on.

We are surrounded by idiots in america if you have not noticed.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top